Sign in to follow this  
hadoken

FSX Steam Edition 62610

You can opt out of the beta without it messing up your addons. Once you opt out, it will reinstall the old version.

Yes. I understand, just reporting my results. (PMDG no workee under the beta g3d fix). No matter, FSX SE in not working for me either way. I get a choice between terrain.dll errors or my PMDG stuff doesn't work. FSX Box runs fine so I will just wait out Dovetails work on the repairs. I wouldn't even bother but FSX SE runs so smoothly until the terrain or g3d crash that I really would like to see it work out. That and I love Steam.

Jim Atkins

...beta of...?

...of FSX:SE. Disregard!

Yeah, probably not a good idea to opt into betas unless we note that the aircraft is compatible.

Tried the new FSUIPC, still no go. This is going to be a huge problem if every time they update FSX, it breaks addons. So far it broke ASN (now fixed with latest BETA) Orbx ObjectFlow.dll is issuing a compatibility message, but still allowing to run, and now this. The big problem is this BETA is slated for only about 9 to 10 days, after that it will be automatically pushed to users. Users won't have the ability to opt out then! I don't know what the ultimate solution will be, but I do know we can't expect the addon developers to continually update their software to work every time DTG wants to update the core app!

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tried the new FSUIPC, still no go. This is going to be a huge problem if every time they update FSX, it breaks addons. So far it broke ASN (now fixed with latest BETA) Orbx ObjectFlow.dll is issuing a compatibility message, but still allowing to run, and now this. The big problem is this BETA is slated for only about 9 to 10 days, after that it will be automatically pushed to users. Users won't have the ability to opt out then! I don't know what the ultimate solution will be, but I do know we can't expect the addon developers to continually update their software to work every time DTG wants to update the core app!

Frustrating to be sure. If you wouldn't mind, point everyone you can to the link I posted earlier. They're apparently soliciting comments.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll confirm my 777 is broken after the beta install.  On the flip side, I was able to get ASN up and working this morning.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

I'll confirm my 777 is broken after the beta install.  On the flip side, I was able to get ASN up and working this morning.

Be sure to leave a post over on the DTG Beta Thread, here. The more reports they get on this, the better chance of it getting fixed.

Tom Cain

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/617329505864354279/

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

I have the same issue, updated to the Beta FSX.SE & the 777 don't work. I get black screens & the landing gear don't show so the plane is floating in the air.

Waiting for a fix for this soon.

I have the same issue, updated to the Beta FSX.SE & the 777 don't work. I get black screens & the landing gear don't show so the plane is floating in the air.

Make a post at the link I referenced above, please. DTG is soliciting comments from people who are having issues with the update.

Kyle Rodgers

See previous post #20) The problem is this Beta is only slated for about another week, so if it's not fixed by then, the update is going to be pushed to all users, and the 777 will become unusable for all FSX-SE users. Not good, and a significant flaw in DTG's/Steam's  business model!

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Tom Cain

totally agree with that one.

I was thinking about starting to move to FSX SE but I found out it probably is not for me:

Only a few of my old scenery addons would work out of the box with Steam.

Getting older addons to work in Steam seems to almost allways require some tinkering and I just dont have the time to tinker with both FSX AND with FSX SE.

The good thing about FSX (box) is that it remained unchanged since 2006.

(I know this is not good for VAS etc).

That is why everything we bought years ago still works today.

Just like with Xplane and P3D, the constant updating of FSX SE is both good (performance wise) and bad (compatibility wise).

The auto-update feature of FSX SE is a huge problem when it come to compatibility!

I thought I would just install FSX and FSX SE side by side on the same PC rather than getting rid of FSX (box).

That would allow me to still use all the addons I have, and at the same time explore Steam.

I would buy only Steam compatible addons then and slowly build and expand on it.

But it seems FSX SE and FSX can bite each other.

And there is no way I am going to sacrifice all the work it took to get a functioning FSX install with various addons for an experiment.

I have read of people having to completely uninstall FSX and manually remove remainders of it to make FSX SE work properly! (sounds like a fresh windows install is the more secure way to go).

I dont know why that is though.....I think P3D and FSX on the same PC is absolutely no problem......so why is Steam different?

I already use a multi boot system (two windows 7 installs) so that one Win7 boot can use be used for daily use and the other Win7 boot has only FSX related stuff on it.

So I could create a third boot Win7 install and put FSX SE on that, but that is exspensive.

First I'd have to buy a new harddisk to put Win7 on PLUS, since I want FSX SE installed on a separate SSD (if that is even possible??).........I would also have to buy a new/extra 250-500GB SSD.

So we are talking a few hundred bucks here for the experiment......:-(........hmmm.

So in the end I think FSX SE is only a real option if

- you are new to flightsim AND if you dont mind that only a few addons are available right now that are compatible out of the "box".

or

- if you dont mind tinkering and testing and playing/messing around with all those uncompatible addons that are out there untill it works.

I think I will wait and see if Aerosoft/ORBX and others will make old addons compatible or not.....(probably not though).

Please correct me if I am wrong with my assesment......I would love to be prooven ill informed so I can start exploring/testing Steam!

Rob Robson

totally agree with that one.

I was thinking about starting to move to FSX SE but I found out it probably is not for me:

Only a few of my old scenery addons would work out of the box with Steam.

Getting older addons to work in Steam seems to almost allways require some tinkering and I just dont have the time to tinker with both FSX AND with FSX SE.

The good thing about FSX (box) is that it remained unchanged since 2006.

(I know this is not good for VAS etc).

That is why everything we bought years ago still works today.

Just like with Xplane and P3D, the constant updating of FSX SE is both good (performance wise) and bad (compatibility wise).

The auto-update feature of FSX SE is a huge problem when it come to compatibility!

I thought I would just install FSX and FSX SE side by side on the same PC rather than getting rid of FSX (box).

That would allow me to still use all the addons I have, and at the same time explore Steam.

I would buy only Steam compatible addons then and slowly build and expand on it.

But it seems FSX SE and FSX can bite each other.

And there is no way I am going to sacrifice all the work it took to get a functioning FSX install with various addons for an experiment.

I have read of people having to completely uninstall FSX and manually remove remainders of it to make FSX SE work properly! (sounds like a fresh windows install is the more secure way to go).

I dont know why that is though.....I think P3D and FSX on the same PC is absolutely no problem......so why is Steam different?

I already use a multi boot system (two windows 7 installs) so that one Win7 boot can use be used for daily use and the other Win7 boot has only FSX related stuff on it.

So I could create a third boot Win7 install and put FSX SE on that, but that is exspensive.

First I'd have to buy a new harddisk to put Win7 on PLUS, since I want FSX SE installed on a separate SSD (if that is even possible??).........I would also have to buy a new/extra 250-500GB SSD.

So we are talking a few hundred bucks here for the experiment......:-(........hmmm.

So in the end I think FSX SE is only a real option if

- you are new to flightsim AND if you dont mind that only a few addons are available right now that are compatible out of the "box".

or

- if you dont mind tinkering and testing and playing/messing around with all those uncompatible addons that are out there untill it works.

I think I will wait and see if Aerosoft/ORBX and others will make old addons compatible or not.....(probably not though).

Please correct me if I am wrong with my assesment......I would love to be prooven ill informed so I can start exploring/testing Steam!

The way to make steam work out of the box is to NOT have a dual install.

The problem lies in the way steam sets up the FSX.cfg to read FSX-se.cfg.........and the the scenery cfg will be scenery-se.cfg  (in a dual install)

This causes big problems.

A clean install of steam will create an almost identical fsx boxed style set up with a few changes and will have the cfg's read the same as in the boxed version. So you wont have any problems. All of my old add ons work except for the F1 mustang.

Using a registry cleaner to get rid of the old box version may not be enough and in my case I had to reformat WIN7 ssd . A big job all up but worth it.

ZORAN

Aha, ok...thx for that reply.

That makes sence.

But the way I understand it (from going through the Aerosoft forums a little for example) is that the Aerosoft scenery installers are not compatible with FSX SE.

Do you have any Aerosoft sceneries and do they work without having to tinker?

Also, is it possible to install the FSX SE folder to a separate SSD just like I have done with FSX?

Rob Robson

I have PANC PAFA and LFMN (nice) and they work perfectly.

Yes you can treat steam just like fsx boxed and place them on separate drives right from the steam menu there is an option to place the folder on any drive so that's officially supported. My steam is on D and FSX-Se is on E (ssd)

The trick IMO is no shortcuts. Format all your drives and start again for the best results and trust me the results are jaw dropping in VAS smoothness and FPS.

ZORAN

Steam has the ability for users to select previous software builds for backwards compatibility, but it's entirely up to DTG to enable that feature.

cutting the quote

Or, you can right click on FSX-SE on Steam and select the option that doesn't make the game update itself every time an official patch is released. So you can keep playing with what you have until the addons you use have some updates for the new patch.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."