Sign in to follow this  
hadoken

FSX Steam Edition 62610

well well.....:-) things are getting better by the minute!

thx for the info.

Rob Robson

Or, you can right click on FSX-SE on Steam and select the option that doesn't make the game update itself every time an official patch is released. So you can keep playing with what you have until the addons you use have some updates for the new patch.

I read about that, how does it work? Something about treating the steam game as if it wasn't? How would that prevent an update?

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Or, you can right click on FSX-SE on Steam and select the option that doesn't make the game update itself every time an official patch is released. So you can keep playing with what you have until the addons you use have some updates for the new patch.

Interesting, but I don't see an option to stop updates altogether. Can you be more specific in your instructions?

ZORAN

Interesting, but I don't see an option to stop updates altogether. Can you be more specific in your instructions?

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

I read about that, how does it work? Something about treating the steam game as if it wasn't? How would that prevent an update?

Tom Cain

Nevermind, i said something incorrect. Until this summer there was an option in the Properties that said you could stop updates. Wording has been changed, the only thing it does now is deactivate the autoupdate feature (but it will still need to be updated before actually playing it).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3255879

Really sorry for giving you false hopes :(

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Nevermind, i said something incorrect. Until this summer there was an option in the Properties that said you could stop updates. Wording has been changed, the only thing it does now is deactivate the autoupdate feature (but it will still need to be updated before actually playing it).

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

what we/I  really should do is continue this discussion somewhere else.....since these things are not really PMDG related.

I looked but did not see a dedicated AVSIM FSX-SE forum.

Rob Robson

What I read, but don't know if it works, is to go into properties, and under updates, set only update on program launch. (As I think you were thinking of) The go back into the library Right click on FSX and select the add non steam game to your library option. A list of all your apps appears, including your Steam games. Select the Steam FSX. You will then have another link for FSXSE in your library. Create a desktop shortcut with it. Then only launch FSXSE with that icon. This is suppose to prevent the update since it's now classified as a non steam game. I'm going to try it, but I don't know if it works. I've done this and FSXSE still works. Time will tell though, whether it prevents the update. Of course if the addons that don't work now with the Beta are fixed by then, they'll be no need to suppress the update.! Note: At anytime you launch the official icon or game within Steam, then the update will be pushed, and you'll be stuck with it for better or worse.

Tom Cain

what we/I  really should do is continue this discussion somewhere else.....since these things are not really PMDG related.

I looked but did not see a dedicated AVSIM FSX-SE forum.

I beg to differ, since this issue directly affects whether the PMDG T7 will function after DTG pushes this update, it is directly PMDG/DTG related.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I don't personally see an issue with it. It's PMDG-related to some degree.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok of we can continue here that is easier for me :-)

I would really like to try........So I am now thinking of reducing my current 600GB Raptor by 50% and installing a new Win7 boot for FSX SE on the other partition.

I have never had two boot Win7 installs on one HDD though.....not sure if that is different from having two Win7 boots on TWO HDDs?!

Rob Robson

That could work. There would probably be tutorials for that on you tube

ZORAN

@ Kyle,

Bonjour,

Something I do not understand, may be because I am french.... nobody is perfect. :france-flag:

As a supplier of add'on for FSX SE, you should have from DTG the pre beta, a lot of time before it comes to the customer so that you can test and prepare if necessary a new release, or ask DTG to modify their code, if they broke the standard access to FSX.

Obviously it is not the way it works, and PMDG seems to be like a standard customer of FSX SE.... which is not the case.

They are a lot of very good developers at PMDG and they should not be presented with a fait accompli, each time there is a new FSXSE version.

I know DTG is not in US, but you speak the same language, that should facilitate the life of the end user. 

Best regards

Claude

Claude Troncy

Obviously it is not the way it works, and PMDG seems to be like a standard customer of FSX SE.... which is not the case.

I think you've nailed it there Claude! DTG obviously don't like to keep developers in the loop with their plans!

Hi Chris,

DTG obviously don't like to keep developers in the loop with their plans!

Yes but it seems to exist different treatment between developers.

For example FSUIPC module, compatible with the beta was available even before it was ready on the steam platform.

So double standard ! I think PMDG could contact DTG to show the dissatisfaction the way they are treated.

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

People keep posing questions as to why this add-on or that add-on is not compatible with a particular sim. I can sure see why. P3d2, FSX-SE and XP10 have all opted for this "rolling update" approach which breaks as many 3rd party add-ons as the number of critical bugs that it fixes. Eventually, this is going to force 3rd party authors to either a) increase their prices or b) drop support for so many platforms or both.