Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to resize extended bitmaps?

Does anyone know of software that will batch resize extended bitmaps, without the need to convert them first? At the moment, I can only use DXTBmp (or convimx) and then resize using Photoshop, before converting back to an extended BMP file, which is going to take SO long, one by one! (The weak link is Photoshop, which renames them all to 'norm.bmp', so I have to manually rename each file back to what it should be - I am not sure I have the patience!).

Would need to be freeware or very cheap as this is probably a one-off job - changing hundreds of ground texture bitmaps from 1024x1024 to 512x512..

Many thanks,

Martin

You could try creating a photoshop macro for resizing, or a batch file using imagetool - you'd have to run dxtfixer on all the bitmaps after using imagetool though.

Photoshop, which renames them all to 'norm.bmp', so I have to manually rename each file back to what it should be - I am not sure I have the patience!).

Due respect, you need to learn how to work with the tools you have.

PS does not rename anything.

When you send the diffuse texture to editor in DXTBmp it is named norm.bmp.

Do the same with the Alpha and it is named trans.bmp.

These files are created by DXTBmp and stored in a temporary folder until you close DXTBmp.

If you rename norm.bmp and/or trans.bmp DXTBmp will not be able to work properly as those are the file names it looks for when you refresh the image after editing.

So, send the image to Photoshop, resize norm.bmp and save (you can create a macro in PS to do this with one keystroke), back in DXTBmp refresh after editing and save as extended bitmap.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Due respect, you need to learn how to work with the tools you have.

regards,

Joe

What Joe said - there's your answer

Rich Sennett

Hmm, I didn't know (after all these years!) about the renaming in conjunction with DXTBmp! I am slightly horrified!!!

PS ("The tool I have" in this case) has lots of facets of course - I dare say there are many other functions apart from this that I don't know about: I learn about PS on a need-to-know basis., As in this case!  ^_^

Thanks Joe. This works exactly as you said (with a macro in PS, it's fairly quick to accomplish of course)..

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin. In case of ground textures you needn't take care of alpha channels. It's empty anyway. Simply use convimx to convert them to 24bit. Then I'd use Irfanview for batch resizing/resharpening. Last step use convimx to convert them back to extended bitmap. Dxt1 will do (with alpha and mips, cos FS likes it like this)

Andreas