Sign in to follow this  
RLJR

Comparison Reality GNS 530 and GTN 750

Need a little help in deciding which is the best to use with the Real Air dukes. The Reality GNS 530 or the Flt 1 GTN 750.All opinions are welcome.

RLJR

GTN all the way. GNS had its day for sure - I used that and the 430 for many years.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The GTN series are head and shoulders above the older GNS.  Very user friendly.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

GTN all day long

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Would agree, the GTN is much better, includes a nice feature set, with a lot of good information available using a touch screen. Download the trainer and play around with it. The Reality GNS 530 is also great, but just can't compare with the newer GTN 750.  

The GNS is the past, the GTN is the future. Consider the GTN650 too, or spring for both. The 750 is perfect for high performance aircraft like Turbine Duke, however for the A2A C182, I find the 750 too intrusive and distracting, and much prefer the 650. When the Cherokee 180 gets GTN support, I will go with 650 there too. A GTN750 in a the Cherokee is like putting modern Automobile GPS unit in a 1957 Chevy lol, whereas the 650 takes up less space and won't take away as much from the beautiful vintage look of the Cherokee.

Another thing to consider, as developers convert old planes and develop new planes, the 650 requires less panel redesign for them. For some planes like Civil P-51 and *potential Scout V2, the 650 will also be a great fit.

Cheers

TJ

The GNS is the past, the GTN is the future. Consider the GTN650 too, or spring for both. The 750 is perfect for high performance aircraft like Turbine Duke, however for the A2A C182, I find the 750 too intrusive and distracting, and much prefer the 650. When the Cherokee 180 gets GTN support, I will go with 650 there too.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use the gauges as 2D popups on a touch screen, the 750 is more usable due to it's larger screen space.  Otherwise, I completely agree; the 650 is simply a better fit in some panels.

I wish Flight1 would make some progress on crossfill; then one could have the best of both worlds; a 650 in the panel, with a 750 as the popup, controlling the same flight plan.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm sure the GTX is great, but nothing at all wrong with the Reality-XP either. I didn't like the cost of the Reality-XP package, specifically the Unlimited upgrade, but I got them years ago, I think it was worth it, and as long as I am FSX-only, I consider the gps need completely fulfilled. There is something pretty cool about the crossfill. Now if I didn't have the Reality XP already, I think I would still want to have a good 530 and 430 for my simulated airplanes, even with the existence of the GTNs

GTN is certainly more intuitive and comprehensive than GNS. Thanks to GTN 750, my Duke Turbine feels like a mini-airliner not just in performance but also avionics capability.

That being said, I still have GNS (530) installed in most of my planes, the GTN I've only put into the Duke Turbine.

My reasons are:

- RXP GNS has integration into more VCs.

- GNS is still more common in real world rental fleets

- GNS is more challenging to use, and GTN can become the center attraction for instruments. GNS kind of just fits into the panel without grabbing too much attention away from steam gauges.

- On the GTN I haven't found a way to completely disengage (despite turning off GPWS) certain warnings like sink rate. This can be really annoying if you are practicing post stall maneuvering or aerobatics. It is for this reason the GTN will never see the inside of my Lancair Legacy. GNS has an off switch. Perhaps an on/off switch never made it to the GTN due to legal concerns by Garmin. 

- GTN can be more performance-impacting than GNS due to having more click spots.

Overall, they are both great units that reflect their real life counterparts with great detail. It couldn't hurt to experience both, I feel they each compliment different aspects of flying. 

The 750 is perfect for high performance aircraft like Turbine Duke, however for the A2A C182, I find the 750 too intrusive and distracting, and much prefer the 650.

Funny you mention that, because a GTN750 is about the same size as the Bendix KMD550/KLN94 combo which Cessna offered as a GPS solution in the Cessna 182T when it hit the market. I think the GTN750 is perfect for a high performance singe engine prop like the 182T.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Thanks for all the replies. I will buy the GTN 750.

RLJR

Just bought the P3D GTN750 last night, did a quick test flight in the Turbine Duke v2 (that I also bought last night) and it is absolutely amazing.  Well worth the money.

sig01.png

Just bought the P3D GTN750 last night, did a quick test flight in the Turbine Duke v2 (that I also bought last night) and it is absolutely amazing. Well worth the money.

Totally agree with that!! Dual GTN configs is awesome. I agree xfill with rxp would be good too though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

....so ,basically, once install the GTN750 the G530 is obsolete, did I get it right ?

Yair