Sign in to follow this  
RLJR

Comparison Reality GNS 530 and GTN 750

The ONLY thing I preferred on the 530 is that it showed you distance and radial from a VOR you tuned in NAV1.

The GTN will do this too but you waste 1 of 4 on screen variables to do it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

..and one more thing, does any one knows if you can assign buttons to the GTN, I know that it's mostly touchscreen driven, but there few buttons after all

Tnx

Yair

.. I know  that the GTN is mostly touchscreen driven, which is good, but there are 3 or 4 buttons, can those buttons be mapped, mean can I assign buttons ??

Cheers

Yair  

Some times I kind of like the older units just because of the extra work required....especially in slower planes where you have the extra time anyway.  

If you are shooting for ultra 'realism', lets face it, in real life, the average rental Cessna or Piper that is 40-50 years old, will not have a brand new GTN.  Think about it, no aircraft owner who owns a $30K Cherokee will spring for a $25K GTN system, especially if they already have a GNS or KING system that already has most of the GTN fuctions (the important ones at least).  If the Cherokee or 172 it even has a GPS, it will likely be an older unit like a KLN or GNS of some sorts.

So for that reason, its good to keep the GNS around in a Cherokee or 172, just for the sake of proficiency.  

But use whatever works best for you.

Cheers

TJ

I dont know... the GTN seems to be catching on.  I flew in an older late 70's skyhawk recently that had a GTN 650.  Strangely enough in real world I prefer the 430 over the 650.  But I also prefer the 750 over the 530W in rw.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am sure there are a few.  I image that older 172 you flew probably had no GPS prior to having a GTN installed.  I don't think any owner of a 172/Cherokee...etc would replace a GNS/KLN with a GTN unless they got a seriously good deal on one.  

I know the GTNs are popular in FS, because FS is a mouse-point n click world.  Touch screens make much more sense.  My only beef with touch screens in planes is having to use them while bouncing around in turbulence, its nice to have actual knobs to anchor your fingers.  

Another thing to consider for the sake of proficiency, is if you are going to be using a G1000 system.  The page/menu system of the G1000 is based on that of the GNS, so staying proficient with the GNS might make any transition to G1000 easier.

As you say, each one has pros and cons, it just depends on which style of operation and display you like.  I find it depends on the airplane and the type of flying involved for which one is preferable.  For training/currency stuff, I want things less automated, I want to do more of the work, for the sake of practice.  If I am transporting loved ones, actual A-B flying, I welcome all the automation and GTN/G1000 extra goodies.

Anyway, its all good, I guess we are lucky to even have realistic Garmin units of any sorts in FSX.  I am with you, tho, any FS release that uses the default GPS must have either an RXP or GTN option.  The ability to alter a flight plan midflight is critical, along with realistic OBS function.  

BTW finally got back into painting lol.  I had some Legacy and T Duke paints I did before I got pulled away from FS for a while, I'll get them uploaded soon, right now I'm working on a Connie paint.

Cheers

TJ

Some times I kind of like the older units just because of the extra work required....especially in slower planes where you have the extra time anyway.  

If you are shooting for ultra 'realism', lets face it, in real life, the average rental Cessna or Piper that is 40-50 years old, will not have a brand new GTN.  Think about it, no aircraft owner who owns a $30K Cherokee will spring for a $25K GTN system, especially if they already have a GNS or KING system that already has most of the GTN fuctions (the important ones at least).  If the Cherokee or 172 it even has a GPS, it will likely be an older unit like a KLN or GNS of some sorts.

So for that reason, its good to keep the GNS around in a Cherokee or 172, just for the sake of proficiency.  

But use whatever works best for you.

Cheers

TJ

I, personally, think the Slow & Low where you do not have all those Fancy Shemcy Gauges, there is less "Spare time" cuz you dealing with actual flying where on the Heavier ones you "Engaging" & letting all the Gauges taking over, giving you the time to fool with all those LCD Screen ...

... the GA AC fleet in the US is aging, we do not build AC anymore the numbers are staggering something like 27,000 in 1977 and about 1,700 2014, & Gauges are becoming in away more affordable, so you do see more and more 40 50 & even 60 years old AC which are going through Face Lifting and more and more "Plastic Surgeon" getting into this business

Cheers

..have a G530 on a C172SP 2002 but hardly use it.

In the Sims world I use the G500 manly as a per of eyes to cover the luck of peripheral vision, give me a sense f orientation too   

Yes, a slow plane like 172 you have time to think about things you should be thinking about...where you are, what your fuel burn is, how far is my TOD, ETA to next waypoint...etc..while flying the plane and being aware of whats going on.  That's why they are trainers, you are supposed to develop those senses and practice aviation 'math' in your head in those kinds of planes.  At 120kts(2 nm/min), you have plenty of time to figure ETA, VNAV...etc in your head.   In a P-51 or Turbo Legacy, Turbine Duke..etc you are cruising around 300kits (5nm/min), you have much less time to calculate those things, thus the GTN/GNS/AP make life a little easier.  That being said, weather conditions might favor turning off the AP, so you should be able to fly Legacy/P-51...etc Instrument Approach by hand in IMC no problem.   

I think a lot of casual simmers get the idea that the Autopilot is there so pilot can read the paper, and watch youtube videos...etc.  Maybe in a 777 on a long cruise...but in those planes you also have an extra crew member or two.  Many think the AP will save your life from unusual attitudes.  It wont, that's your job.  Most APs have limited tolerances, and are useless during certain conditions and pitch attitudes.  AP is like cruise control in your car, it's there to assist you and give you some relief, but it won't take over, nor will it save you from you not paying attention to changing road conditions.  In fact turbulent weather, icing conditions are all reasons to turn OFF the AP.  You need your hands on the controls, so you can 'feel' whats going on out there.

If you are flying solo, or flying with companions who are not pilots, your 'brain' needs to be in the plane 100% of the time, regardless of AP/GPS capabilities.  

You may have noticed this too, if you fly something like a Connie using the Sperry AP, where you have to manually set the pitch attitudes for holding, adjust headings to follow track and manually adjust for wind.  You are more aware of what is going on in the plane and can handle an emergency much more smoothly.  If you are reading the paper while the AP is locked to a magenta line, your brain isn't in the game as much, so when an emergency happens, it takes you longer to react.   

Aviation psychology is an interesting subject, especially in regards to technology.  Like any tool, if the technology is used properly and responsibly it is great, if it is used improperly and irresponsibly, it causes problems.  In the end tho, its not the fault of the technology.   The smart phone is great, but how many do you see people buried in their phones, unaware of things happening beside them.  It's not the fault of the smartphone, but fault of the user for loosing control and having the phone control them.  As pilots, you always have to be the one in charge and have ultimate say how the technology is used in an airplane.  

Hi Folks,

The biggest benefit I find from the GTN over the GNS is that the GTN has a full airway database installed which in and of itself greatly speeds flight plan entry for IFR flights... Select your entry point and exit point for "J75" and the GTN automatically adds all the checkpoints in between... The GNS you have to add every point by tedious point on a much more cumbersome interface...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Yeah, the airway feature is awesome, thats why the crossfill would be nice,  but not that big of deal because flight plan entry is so fast.  Lol I've noticed in the Connie, with its 3000nm some odd range, I am actually filling out long flight plans in the GTN, it is really useful there.  With Cherokees, 182s...you never really fly far enough or high enough to plug in the long jet routes.

Tho I think with the old GNS (and old KLNs) system, you aren't supposed to enter every single intersection from your flight plan.  You just have to put in the points that have a change in direction.  Remember, the GPS just tells your CDI/HSI what direction to go, so there is no need for all the intersections along the route.  You can save a lot of time by just entering the departure point, destination, then either a DP or the first few waypoints listed on the flight plan (usually just the VOR waypoints and INTs that have heading changes), then enter the rest enroute.  Then if ATC requests you report crossing a waypoint, you can just enter that in at the time while enroute.

IPADS and Tablets these days have all kinds of flight planning apps available too.  In fact Garmin has an app that turns your tablet/smart phone essentially into a GTN (minus the com/nav radio part).  I wouldn't recommend it for flight sim because they charge real aviation prices for it lol.  I've seen a lot of pilots simply use a setup like that, they use the IPAD for their 'moving map', flight plan info, or airport info stuff while keeping their GNS, KLN or whatever set to course guidance.

CHeers

TJ

Hi TJ,

While I do use the Garmin Pilot software in the RW (has some features I prefer to Foreflight) - if you happen to live and fly in North America - try Fltplan GO - it's a Garmin like app that is completely free and also the only source of free georeferenced approach plates I'm aware of... It has full connectivity from tablet to sims...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

..nice,  but does it interface with FSX-SE / X-Plane.

I'm using AVARE  with both Sims, interfacing to Android is easy via I/O Plugin, and it's free as well

Yair