Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

777 Cargo flights

I thought I'd dip my feet in the water of the freight world and was wondering if there are any specifics to think about when flight planning, etc. I use SimBrief as my flight planner. What is a typical cargo load on the 777-200 (I'm thinking FedEx, not that it matters)?

Thanks,

Todd

The difference with cargo operations is the much higher payload so generally heavier weights. You find yourself using much more of the runway!

For planning you need to make sure you don't exceed max landing weight limits by carrying too much extra fuel. I use TOPCAT for weight & balance calculations. This takes care of takeoff and landing weight calculations and limits. However you could easily work it out manually using Simbrief's output figures and if you only carry standard reserve fuel landing weight should never be a problem in the 777.

I like cargo operations but I haven't flown the 777F much. Most of my cargo flights are in the 747F.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The flights I do involving the T7 are all cargo. I don't even have a 77LR livery installed. I have FDX, Southern Air, Aerologic, and Lufthansa liveries for the 777F.

Like Kevin said cargo flights have higher payload than passenger flights. The maximum payload weight for the 77LR is about 116000 lbs. and for the 777F is about 235000 lbs. which equates to more runway used. I have never seen a payload go above 205000 lbs. because it is limited by the amount of fuel that must be carried and the runway length. And usually a lot fuel needs to be carried because the flights are 11-15 hours. Some 777F routes are VHHH-KLAX, VHHH-KCVG, KMEM-RJAA, KMEM-OMDB, KOAK-RJAA, KLAX-EDDP, KCVG-OBBI, EDDP-KLAX, EDDF-KIAH, and EDDF-KDFW. There are two short flights out of PANC to KMEM and KCVG. If you are using TOPCAT and PFPX (or something similar) there should no no problem. Just don't use short runways in Cornfield, Iowa.

Keep in mind, as well, that occasionally the reason for using a 777 (or the 747) is the size of the load. It could actually be a pretty light load, but the size of the load requires a larger transport. I'm sure this is pretty rare, but I'm sure there are customers that need a large part, yesterday. There's a picture of an AN225 carrying some wind turbine blades. Depending on their size, you may see the same (similar) in a 777 or 747 as well.

Like passenger loads, it all varies. Then again, more recently, the airlines have been keeping higher load factors on their planes.

Kyle Rodgers

I thought I'd dip my feet in the water of the freight world

Ahh....welcome to the freight dog world Todd!

I fly freight almost exclusively, and like it so much just about all of my recent PMDG 777 repaints are freighters. There is a mix of real (FedEx) and fictional (UPS, Flying Tigers, Altas, Etc)

...And you can see that even my avatar is a cargo 777! :lol:

Just click the link in my sig and check them out...there are plenty of pics to look at so you can decide if they "cut the mustard" as far as quality goes. :wink:

Most have photo tails which IMO really add to the realism.

I have a few more in the paint shop, need to push them out before I re-tool my paint hangar for the 744! 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Keep in mind, as well, that occasionally the reason for using a 777 (or the 747) is the size of the load. It could actually be a pretty light load, but the size of the load requires a larger transport. I'm sure this is pretty rare, but I'm sure there are customers that need a large part, yesterday. There's a picture of an AN225 carrying some wind turbine blades. Depending on their size, you may see the same (similar) in a 777 or 747 as well.

Like passenger loads, it all varies. Then again, more recently, the airlines have been keeping higher load factors on their planes.

Indeed. As well as outsized loads, 747s carrying flowers from South America to the USA are limited by bulk not weight. That being said I prefer to fly cargo at maximum weights so I get to fly in more extreme parts of the weight range.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Indeed. As well as outsized loads, 747s carrying flowers from South America to the USA are limited by bulk not weight. That being said I prefer to fly cargo at maximum weights so I get to fly in more extreme parts of the weight range.

Thats why one of my fictional loads is moving the lead sleds they use at tractor pulls from one event to another!  :lol:

That bumps the weight up a bit.  only issue is your fuel load is light since you're flying within the continental US. hehe

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Some of the things I've seen in RL cargo world:

Cars (they go on pallets)

Cows! (They caused an issue on a MD11 because of the... gas produced)

Racing horses (Handler has to sit back there with them)

Pandas

Dolphins

Special Harry Potter flights

Flower flights (Valentine's Day and Easter)

Bulk Military aid

Bulk Humanitarian aid

A whole can of a person moving from the North East US to Alaska (person rented the whole can...)

As the posters above have made mention, do not constrain yourself to thinking in terms of freight=heavier. That "golden package" could be eyes, a gift or even some Omaha Steaks. While I think freight operators would love to have 100% "dense" cans, the fact is we rarely blew a zone because of a ULDs weight.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Thanks, guys. Great info. I'm think my first flight will be from PANC to VHHH, since Hong Kong is the freight capital of the world.

Todd

talking about cargo, I just watched a show called Mighty Planes and the specific episode was covering the AN24, if you have COMCAST it is under TV Shows on Demand... (sorry for changing the topic slightly)

John.