Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Any idea how to fix "Overclocking failed" before post?

i currently have an i7 930. 12 gb of ram. Gtx 970. Asus p6t mitherboard.

I have my i7 930 OCed to 4.19. And it is very stable. Once I increase the clock to 4.2 I get a message saying overclock is failed. It then Tells me I have to go into the bios and fix it. The wierd this is, this only happens after my pc wakes up from sleep. Overall I have ignored the problem and the pc is stable at 4.2. I have also tried to change my voltages and nothing.

It's just kind of a hassle to get that message everytime I wake my pc up. Then forced to restart.

Any ideas?

I have read that people had to disable the cpu pll overvoltage. But I can't find that option on my asus p6t bios. And it's all up to date.

Could it just be a sign I should just stay at 4.19 and not go to 4.22?

I have read that people had to disable the cpu pll overvoltage. But I can't find that option on my asus p6t bios.

I believe that was an issue with asus and sandy bridge processors. (mine included so I never used sleep) I dont remember the older I7's ever having that issue. 

Will it wake from sleep with less overclock? Only 4.0 for example.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Yeah I currently have it at 4.19. Which is pretty much 4.2. So it's not really a big deal. Going from 4.19 to 4.22 gave me a half of a frame rate increase.

But anything below 4.19 works just fine waking up

But anything below 4.19 works just fine waking up

Then I would set it at 4.1ghz You never know what other issues may come up, if it will not wake up it may start having other random issues.

Find the WALL and then back it down to a SAFE level and enjoy it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Yeah I think it will be my max. At least I got that and a 970 and 12 gb of ram. Not too bad for an older system.

Greg,

In my latest board, which is a Haswell-E Rampage V Extreme, I have the same issue.  If I reboot, it's gone.  However, if OC failed and I reboot, <sometimes> the board reboots at the stock clock, and sometimes it doesn't.

I must admit, my Sandy Bridge board with the Ivy Bridge BIOS was the MOST STABLE board I have ever owned.  This new Haswell-E board has a lot of issues, and OMG, the price of the DDR4 RAM...

Slightly OT, but I realize that some on here cringe when flight simulation and gamer are used in the same sentence.  However, I really enjoy both worlds.  And they seem to coexist on the same SSD without angst between them.  So I will toss this out there - this system runs Shadow of Mordor and Sniper Elite III at MAX settings at 5960 X 1080 at over 100 fps.  Gotta love this kinda horsepower...