Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

AI Traffic landing lights appear well ABOVE the aircraft ... Help me fix this please.

I'm hoping there's an aircraft design expert here, or at least somone who knows a bit about these things, who can help me fix a problem I've had for some time now and have searched high and low for a fix with no results.

I am using MyTrafficX. This is installed on my cockpit system, in FSX, FSX-SE, and Prepar3D. In all three, when observing AI traffic landing (or doing anything really), the landing lights are positioned well above the actual aircraft, in mid-air. As the aircraft approaches the lights get closing and closer, until when you are right in front of them, eg a few metres, the lights are almost where they should be.

This wasn't always the case, and I've been using MyTrafficX for many years. Other MyTrafficX users don't suffer from this, and no one on their Support Forum has been able to help.

It does it with default traffic BGLs too, and it applies not only to the aircraft installed by MyTrafficX, but those default aircraft being used for AI purposes too.

I thought it might be something to do with some rogue Effects file I'd installed, so I renamed the FS Effects file and copied over the folder from a default FSX installation (I have a default installation on my development machine so I can test FSUIPC in such a 'normal' environment). This made no difference to the problem.

Is there anyone here who knows what is going on, and therefore how to fix it -- or at least can suggest places to look?

Thank you.

Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

same thing with me using UT2, couldn't fix it.

let us hope with your (mighty) name on this post might bring some one for rescue. ;-)

Regards

Ali A.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

There was a thread about 2 weeks ago with the same situation.  It was caused by a modified Halo.bmp

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

There was a thread about 2 weeks ago with the same situation.  It was caused by a modified Halo.bmp

Aha, so not an effect! I'll check. thanks for the pointer ...

Pete

Okay ... replacing the changed halo.bmp with the default worked!  Thank you!

Trouble is now I realise why I changed to a different halo.bmp. Lights are now too big and bright, AI and runway lights included.

I now need to find a halo.bmp that gives decent properly sized lights without separating them on AI traffic! Any suggestions, anyone?

Pete

Add these to the FSX.cfg under [Display]  Adjust the numbers till everything looks the way you want

it to.  As far as aircraft lights size, there are Halo.bmp files that have been modified to

accommodate for smaller lights.  I think N4GIX had done one that worked well.

I just found this in a quick search  http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17974/fsx-landing-lights/

This download includes a set of modified halo.bmp file.  Don't know if it will cause the AI problem

again, or not.

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Add these to the FSX.cfg under [Display]  Adjust the numbers till everything looks the way you want

it to.  As far as aircraft lights size, there are Halo.bmp files that have been modified to

accommodate for smaller lights.  I think N4GIX had done one that worked well.

I just found this in a quick search  http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17974/fsx-landing-lights/

This download includes a set of modified halo.bmp file.  Don't know if it will cause the AI problem

again, or not.

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2

Thanks! I'll experiment and see what I can do.

Pete

Okay ... replacing the changed halo.bmp with the default worked!  Thank you!

Trouble is now I realise why I changed to a different halo.bmp. Lights are now too big and bright, AI and runway lights included.

I now need to find a halo.bmp that gives decent properly sized lights without separating them on AI traffic! Any suggestions, anyone?

Pete

I got tired of playing the halo game that not only affected the AI lights but others as well. I have switched all my AI Aircraft lights over to Shockwave. What a difference that made, much more believable and immersive.

I spent a lot of time on this. I have a selection of halo.bmp files, including the one that I use. Shockwave lights didn't work for me. If you PM me an email address I'll send them over to you, along with my scalar settings.

I spent a lot of time on this. I have a selection of halo.bmp files, including the one that I use. Shockwave lights didn't work for me. If you PM me an email address I'll send them over to you, along with my scalar settings.

Thanks. I don't use PMs, but please send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Much appreciated!

Pete

Thanks. I don't use PMs, but please send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Much appreciated!

Pete

Look for them before lunchtime !

Look for them before lunchtime !

Thanks!

Pete