Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

Active Sky Next worth it for offline use?

Greetings,

A simple question: i dont have flat connection, so i run p3d offline. I'm wondering if it worth to buy asn. It seems a must have addon, but i have rex 4 (so texture not needed) and i am wondering if asn worths its price just for weather depiction in offline mode.

Can i download historical data for a certain period of time and run historical "continous" (not static but changing realistically based on historical trends) weather? I' ve read manual and some post on this forum, but still i've not understand hoe historical mode works... is it just a different manual weather or it is something like live weather but for the past?

If not, is manual weather alone depiction worth the price?

Also i could take an used license for active sky 2012 for a small price, i understood that it is not meant to be used and not supported for p3d, the question is: any chance it would work in offline mode??

Thanks!!

Offline mode is just that, offline.  You can download something historically, but it is a 'snapshot' of weather at that time.  I don't believe you can have it download a span of times and update as you fly.  As such, I'm not sure you will see any advantage, as the perks of ASN are that it depicts active weather.  You'd only gain the ability to finely tune a snapshot scenario (winds at certain levels, clouds, etc..) but it would be static.  Just my 2 cents.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

thanks jlohrenz, i feared that...

Any opinions regarding worthness of buying ASN just for offline historical/manual mode?

Anyone tried Active Sky 2012 for P3d V2.4?

regards

There's a 'dynamic weather' option in ASN which allows for wx changes while you are flying offline.

I personally pick a wx snapshot from a host of historical shots I downloaded from the ASN server. When I am offline, ASN switches to 'manual wx mode', so no realtime updates take place.

Still, I get all the bells 'n' whistles associated with ASN: gradual changes in visibility, up- and downdrafts, windshear and some more. To me ASN is very worth the money, even when flying offline.

As an AS2012 owner you can get ASN with a discount. Can't comment on AS2012 in P3D though, I'm afraid.

There's a 'dynamic weather' option in ASN which allows for wx changes while you are flying offline.

I personally pick a wx snapshot from a host of historical shots I downloaded from the ASN server. When I am offline, ASN switches to 'manual wx mode', so no realtime updates take place.

Still, I get all thebells 'n' whistles associated with ASN: gradual changes in visibility, up- and downdrafts, windshear and some more. To me ASN is very worth the money, even when flying offline.

As an AS2012 owner you can get ASN with a discount. Can't comment on AS2012 in P3D though, I'm afraid.

tks Olli, i was not aware of "dinamic weather" working offline and i think it could probably adequately replace what I called "historical continous weather"... does the weather change in realistic way or you are able to see differences with "live weather" behavior, obviously apart from the fact of being able to check the live time accuracy just looking out the window?

i can't still figure exactly the effect of all the "bells 'n' whistles" of ASN. Probably i have to try it for the trial period and see myself, because i never used a weather depiction add on...

tks again

You will love it.  It adds a very realistic component to FS.  I wouldn't fly without it anymore, offline or online.  And since you have REX 4, it will make the sky pop, especially when there are multiple levels of clouds.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Hi Olli

i've finnally bought ASN and it looks good (just installed)

I have a question:in the window "WIZ configuration i have set historical dynamic weather" and set certain date while i was online.

when i disconnect ASN send me a message saying that the wiz changed to "manual offiline" is it ok? Does the weather change in this way like you said or have i to look for dynamic mode option in settings?

Because i can't find other "dynamic options"

@ jlohrenz it is true! the cloud have a depth feeling very realistic! wow

tks

You're correct. Basically there are two dynamic options:

1. dynamic while being online: You travel back in time and get weather updates (= download historical wx), from that historical point of time onwards every couple of minutes
  2. dynamic while being offline: wx gets changed according to forecasts

You're correct. Basically there are two dynamic options:

1. dynamic while being online: You travel back in time and get weather updates (= download historical wx), from that historical point of time onwards every couple of minutes
  2. dynamic while being offline: wx gets changed according to forecasts

Olli pardon me but i'm not sure i 've understand, regarding point 2:

when i go offline ASN tells me that i'm now in MANUAL offline mode. That is confirmed on the bottom bar on the left. So there is not the dynamic mode involved.

Does that mean anything or i'm in dynamic mode offline even if ASN call it "Manual"?

tks again!

No problem. This is from the ASN manual, p.5:

"When METAR reports are not updated timely, the forecast weather will influence the environment so that conditions change dynamically and realistically regardless of data availability."

This sounds to me as if wx changes dynamically without further wx updates.