Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Strange engine sound during start up and shut down

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that flies a 767 and told me that the "Clackers" as he calls them are not very noticeable on the walk around until you get right up to the engines (and the wind is blowing them around) because of all the ambient noise on the tarmac. Inside the cockpit you don't really hear them. He also said that they don't make noise unless the engines have been off for hours or overnight. When they are hot they don't make noise. So with that said, I'm on a mission to quite them down. He is scheduling a visit here next week at that point I will let him hear the PMDG 737 and see what he thinks.

It's not as if they are loud in the NGX and the sound is only present in external view. I only noticed it because of this thread. I normally start up inside the cockpit.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that flies a 767 and told me that the "Clackers" as he calls them are not very noticeable on the walk around until you get right up to the engines (and the wind is blowing them around) because of all the ambient noise on the tarmac. Inside the cockpit you don't really hear them. He also said that they don't make noise unless the engines have been off for hours or overnight. When they are hot they don't make noise. So with that said, I'm on a mission to quite them down. He is scheduling a visit here next week at that point I will let him hear the PMDG 737 and see what he thinks.

While I appreciate you reaching out to a potentially knowledgeable source, pilots don't spend as much time out on the ramp as rampies do. You can very clearly hear this from quite a ways away. It's not a quiet noise in the least. Additionally, they'll make noise any time or season as long as they're spinning (usually caused by the wind). You can hear it when they start and shut down, though it's less pronounced at this time because of other noises usually present during these times (other aircraft operating, APUs, etc.). So, your friend is right that it can be difficult to hear them because of all the ambient noises, but the last time I checked, these ambient noises are not realistically present in the sim.

I spent about a decade out on the ramp and have been around just about every Boeing, Airbus, and the array of RJs out there. I get that your friend is a pilot, but pilots aren't experts on ramp noises. They're not out there as much as rampies are. This is one of the many cases in which "RW pilot" is not a trump card.

...also...who actually calls people anymore?  :P

Yes it's the centripetal force which acts towards the center of the circle. I guess centrifugal force is the fan blades wanting to move tangentially to the circle hence being "thrown outwards".

That's what I said, too, but that's force acting inwardly. Centrifugal force "doesn't exist." The force in question here is the object's resistance to state change, or, in other words, Newton's First Law of Motion.

Kyle Rodgers

That's what I said, too, but that's force acting inwardly. Centrifugal force "doesn't exist." The force in question here is the object's resistance to state change, or, in other words, Newton's First Law of Motion.

I guess we should really say centrifugal "force".

I guess we should really say centrifugal "force".

...or centrifugal "farce" as Ryan might have it.  :P

Kyle Rodgers

...or centrifugal "farce" as Ryan might have it. 

Hahaha quality!!!!! So is Ryan a Mechanical Engineer or? 

While I appreciate you reaching out to a potentially knowledgeable source, pilots don't spend as much time out on the ramp as rampies do. You can very clearly hear this from quite a ways away. It's not a quiet noise in the least. Additionally, they'll make noise any time or season as long as they're spinning (usually caused by the wind). You can hear it when they start and shut down, though it's less pronounced at this time because of other noises usually present during these times (other aircraft operating, APUs, etc.). So, your friend is right that it can be difficult to hear them because of all the ambient noises, but the last time I checked, these ambient noises are not realistically present in the sim.

I spent about a decade out on the ramp and have been around just about every Boeing, Airbus, and the array of RJs out there. I get that your friend is a pilot, but pilots aren't experts on ramp noises. They're not out there as much as rampies are. This is one of the many cases in which "RW pilot" is not a trump card.

...also...who actually calls people anymore?  :P

In the sim, I do a walk around inspection and I don't hear them probably because 1. there is no wind or 2. it's not modeled in the aircraft for wind to rotate the fans. I don't know if you have or use GSX, but the noise the Ram Rats make is quite noticeable in the walk around. In addition to the "Rampies" as you call them, the other AI Aircraft engines should drown out the clackers. I zeroed in on this because I am in the process of making a video and found that quite distracting, as in Hollywood, it's not about realism, it's about immersion. And as you pointed out, "pilots don't spend as much time out on the ramp as rampies do" and as a virtual pilot I want to simulate what a real pilot experiences. Can't wait till he sees the sim in action for his input there.

I call people because a normal conversation is about 150 words a minute and email and texting  is, well, slow.  :P