Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Very smooth and Beautiful with World2XP beta6!

Just a BIG THUMBS UP! regarding my experience with the HD beta 6 World2XP scenery areas for Portugal, including the Azores islands, and Spain.

Overall I didn't notice any performance degradation, and teh end result is beautiful!!!!

Just landed my Aerowinx 744 at LPPT, coming from Barcelona :-)

Thx Tony!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Indeed great experience. In big cities in South America and Asia the improvement is phenomenal. Though I had performance issues in some european cities like Paris.

A question though: why do I get tree-tops coming out of building roofs? Doesn't w2xp exclude autogen trees where there are buildings? OSM has the same issue. Am I doing something wrong?

Hmmm, strange ? Never experienced that, I believe ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Pictures please! I love seeing some beautiful XPX scenery, especially OSM and W2XP stuff. Miles better than FSX/P3D!

Aamir Thacker

hmm I could see that being used to represent construction over a period of time; for instance you could send a different phase of a building development based on the month in the sim. 

I know I almost never post pictures, and even less videos :-/   It requires uploading them to somewhere in the Cloud, and I hate clouds ( my day job is cloud full...)

Well, I'll try to capture something for you, when using PSX with XP10

I returned because of 10.35, the promising 10.40, and am finding a huge improvement in frame rates and smoothness since I last had used X-Plane 10. Also re-installed all of my GA stuff ( Carenados and about to fetch and install the excellent X-Aviation stuff too :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I returned because of 10.35, the promising 10.40, and am finding a huge improvement in frame rates and smoothness since I last had used X-Plane 10. Also re-installed all of my GA stuff ( Carenados and about to fetch and install the excellent X-Aviation stuff too :-)

LOL jcomm, that will change in a week's time . 

Talking of pictures where are my Nepal + Global textures ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Oops :-(

Uninstalled FSX:SE ....  My new SSD ( 250 GB ) is only worth for PSX, X-Plane 10, DCS and IL2 BOS + ROF... And the scenery stuff for XP10 occupies a LOT! Sorry :-(

Main Simulation Rig:

Oops :-(

Uninstalled FSX:SE ....  My new SSD ( 250 GB ) is only worth for PSX, X-Plane 10, DCS and IL2 BOS + ROF... And the scenery stuff for XP10 occupies a LOT! Sorry :-(

Aw. I will check on youtube. I wish there were good textures for XPX. 

BTW that Autolod which causes artifacts is due the HDR.

I'm wondering what Tony makes of this:

http://developer.x-p...ibrary-regions/

Last year we had a discussion about whether to use X-Plane's library regions, or use World2XPlane's shapefiles for defining regions. At the time, it was found that World2XPlane is better in this regard since people wanted tight control over the regions, but, since the buildings are hardcoded into the DSF file, to change them requires a rebuild (in most cases)

However, there is absolutely nothing stopping somebody simply using virtual paths (i.e. paths that link to different buildings) and changing the config to use them. In fact, this is exactly what I've done for my autogen function I'm building. Basically, you simply add new buildings in the library path and they are immediately used without a full scenery rebuild. You can also regionalise them by either using World2XPlane, or using XP's library regions. In hindsight, I think I should have originally used a combination of both, but lack of artwork at the time prevented this.

Just a BIG THUMBS UP! regarding my experience with the HD beta 6 World2XP scenery areas for Portugal, including the Azores islands, and Spain.

Overall I didn't notice any performance degradation, and teh end result is beautiful!!!!

Just landed my Aerowinx 744 at LPPT, coming from Barcelona :-)

Thx Tony!

Thanks Jose :smile:, I'm glad you're enjoying it and not getting a massive FPS hit. As someone said, Paris or Berlin are absolute killers in either OSM2XP or W2XP, simply too many buildings to get decent FPS. Regarding Spain and Portugal, I'd love to get some proper autogen done here with buildings more suitable for the area (i.e. White buildings  with Orange roofs, etc..). Once I'm done with the UK, I'll design a few autogen buildings for there as well. Even just a batch of 5 or 6 buildings can make a huge difference as seen here in my WIP autogen shot (i.e. This is autogen and not buildings from OSM):

image.jpg

I'd love to see this for all of Southern Europe with the right artwork.

I'm currently taking time out of developing and reading/watching videos and books on photoshop and blender. Due to lack of photographs, I've been drawing the house textures myself in photoshop (as seen above), sometimes they look a bit funny or fake, so I've been learning ways of making them realistic, and there is lots of good advice and stuff out there, mostly for games like Half-Life 2, but all relevant for this sort of stuff as well.

A question though: why do I get tree-tops coming out of building roofs? Doesn't w2xp exclude autogen trees where there are buildings? OSM has the same issue. Am I doing something wrong?

It does, but remember that exclusions are limited to rectangular areas, so sometimes it's not always possible to completely exclude small patches of trees from the default scenery when using smart exclusions. If you don't use smart-exclusions scenery, then the entire 1x1 degree tile is excluded, and then any odd trees you'll see would have been placed by W2XP.

Aw. I will check on youtube. I wish there were good textures for XPX. 

I think the X-Plane default autogen is actually really nice, but it gets boring when you see the same stuff across the entire world. I think LR have something in the works for outsourcing this to users (they kind of already do, it's quite possible to change the autogen using libraries, e.g. the EU library)

Great shots Tony.

Could I contribute with photographs of Lisbon buildings? I believe using Google earth these days, with street views, gives us the exact idea of what is the type in each place, but still, I could try to take some shots if you find it useful.

Thx for the GREAT Work Tony!

Main Simulation Rig:

I think the X-Plane default autogen is actually really nice, but it gets boring when you see the same stuff across the entire world. I think LR have something in the works for outsourcing this to users (they kind of already do, it's quite possible to change the autogen using libraries, e.g. the EU library)

I am not talking of autogen, just pure textures. If you notice V3 the mountains look very good but the moment you head to Nepal or even to the Western Ghats (India) they look creepy to me.

Now V3 is using default textures so why the difference. 

I am not talking of autogen, just pure textures. If you notice V3 the mountains look very good but the moment you head to Nepal or even to the Western Ghats (India) they look creepy to me.

Now V3 is using default textures so why the difference. 

Yeah, V3 does make better use of textures inside X-Plane, but they're the same textures as default. I think they work well for mountains, but fall over when you are flying over flatter terrain, as everything is green. Again, just like the autogen artwork, it's possible to change these using the library system, so the option is always open for someone to improve the textures for their area. Also, don't forget that default FSX/P3D also doesn't look too good, it takes a payware product such as ORBX to improve it.