Sign in to follow this  
spirittoo

Need Tech Help With 3 Monitor Set Up In XP

Okay ... I just got another monitor so I could set up my XP machine with 3 monitors to use in FS 2004.

I have the Kensington adapter for the left display to USB hook up to USB port on mobo.  It has a config panel, in the system tray, but it had not proven helpful.  

There is a "Kensington Display-link Manager" option that is nothing more than a icon tell me the version.  There is a "Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter, which leads to a side menu ... "extend to", "extend" "set as main monitor" "mirror" and "off".

If I don't have it set to "mirror" I won't get an image on the left screen.

I get displays on all three monitors.  The problem is what windows has identified as 2 is being cloned with the main screen ... which means I can't get a side window in FS9 only a clone of the main window.  

When I ask windows to identify the monitors, it shows the left screen (adapter hook up) and the middle screen as 3 and the right screen as 1.  

Windows XP is looking at the adapter as another graphic card.  In the XP display properties it sees all three screens and have them listed 3, 1 and 2.  1 and 3 are highlighted and 2 is greyed out ... when I click on 2 to highlight it the name in the display drop down box will change from the GTX 280 to the Kensington display adapter.  

If I try to check the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor", I will get a fast blink from the monitors and the check is removed from the box.

In the Nvidia control panel under set up multiple displays I have a mark in the circle "Configured independently from each other (Dualview)

It is showing the monitors plugged into the card but not the one plugged into the adapter.  The option of "my display is not shown only makes it think I have a tv hooked up and will still show a mirror/clone image.

In the "select the displays you would like to use" only the monitors hooked up to the GTX 280 are listed.  But even when it thinks the one monitor is a tv it will only give me a choice of two monitors of the three listed in several different order.

I did install the driver for the adapter from the Kensington web site.

If anyone knows how I can get my left screen to show the left side in FS9 please post.

Golly gee I'm sure people have run multiple monitors in XP while flying ... right? :huh:

Thanks for reading my post.
:lol:

Golly gee I'm sure people have run multiple monitors in XP while flying ... right?

Yup!  My experience is however limited to using TripleHead2Go by Matrox.

Well sir ... I got it together!  :lol: 

It was the Kensington adapter driver that was the problem.  I had installed the wrong driver .... I had the driver for the 3.0 USB when the adapter I have is 2.0 USB ....

Called Kensington tech support.  He showed me what to do and where to get the correct driver and how to set up the adapter ...

I had to unhook the adapter and uninstalled all its software.  Then I had to reinstall the correct software and then restart the computer.  Once booted up again.  I hooked up the adapter.  I was able to use the extend option and I had my three screens.  

All I had to do is go into windows display properties identify the screens made the middle my main screen and got them in order for the mouse to move back and forth between screens and that's it.

Thanks for reading my post.
:mellow: