Hi all, after using FS from 3.0 up to FS9/X then switching to mac to further my DJ career-I've come back to lurking about here for quite a while and jealously watching friends from my old VA get into the air again-I've decided to come here asking for a ~budget-mid high range recommend build(my wife will kill me if I even go over-IF she lets me go for it!) to get back in the air with all my friends from the AVSIM/VATSIM community

My goals:

-Get a computer that will run FSX(or FSX se?) or even P3D ON Vatsim (is FSINN still around? I hated the SQBX Traffic models!)

-Run the sim with PMDG MD11/73/74/777, Aerosoft/Blackbox/FSLabs Airbuses(I'm a FBWFTW type of guy) tube liners mainly for VATSIM VA flights.

-With Aerosoft heathrow/Dubai etc etc-I want decent scenery

-I used to use ASadvanced-I believe it's now ASN for wx.

-I'd like to see some pretty pictures like on YouTube with the ORBX/REX/Ultimate Terrain type deals

-I'd like to Run these addons with REASONABLY MEDIUM HIGH settings-my last laptop choked on FSX(slide show extraordinaire) I switched to FS9, things ran fairly well then it died... But it looked like the Sahara desert... Barely any scenery etc etc.

-I'd also like to Find out what the hell a VC is and why they seem to be standard now?(Never used one before-guess I'll have to learn-apparently now they're all HD :-p )

-I'd like to not mortgage my kidneys or liver for this computer.

-I'd really be satisfied to get good A/C performance on point to point flights with JBU's VA/EIN/BAV etc etc

With that being said-do I NEED an i7 that's overclocked? Do I NEED a GTX Titan?

It seems all the "FSX build bibles" say intel/NVIDIA -I can deal with that but if I can go with ivy bridge that'll save me $100 or so...

I also haven't the foggiest regarding PSU/Case/fans:how to overclock without killing things

Thanks in advance for any and all help...

With tongue firmly in cheek

-Ross McD

I'd also like to Find out what the hell a VC is and why they seem to be standard now?(Never used one before-guess I'll have to learn-apparently now they're all HD :-p )

The VC is what replaced 2D panels - they're amazing, and if you get a TrackIR, it's very immersive!

I'd like to not mortgage my kidneys or liver for this computer.

Understood, but you also need to realize you set the bar pretty high - it's not crazy, but it's still a bit expensive if you want something great.

do I NEED an i7 that's overclocked?

FSX/P3D are VERY CPU-bound, which means an i7 will definitely help - and overclocking too.  Slap a water cooler on it and give it a bit more - they like it!

Do I NEED a GTX Titan?

Absolutely not.  I build computers and I only use a GTX970, and it works perfectly for me on P3D 2.5. Of course, a 980 will help, and eventually 2 of these in SLI will really rock, but the Titan will be overkill for 90% of simmers.

I also haven't the foggiest regarding PSU/Case/fans:how to overclock without killing things

There's a lot of info on the internet about that, it's not difficult with Intel "K" CPUs.  Keep me posted on what becomes your setup!

sig01.png

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm looking at ye olde PCPartPicker for the components and I'm just going bananas with all the options :facepalm: there's just too much there for me to make educated decisions-like a $35 mobo and a $50 PSU save me a bunch but what will it cost me!?!?! HEEEELLLLPPPPP I'M DROWNING IN PC PARTS

The PSU is clearly a part you can't go cheap on - if it screws up, so does the rest of your machine.  Same goes for the mobo, you don't want to put an expensive CPU on a cheap board, don't you?  That'd be like putting a Corvette engine in a Pinto.

sig01.png

a $35 mobo and a $50 PSU save me a bunch

They really won't, Max is spot on with this advice

The Motherboard and PSU need to be quality parts or you are wasting your time.

Thanks so much guys-I'm gonna start putting specs together and hopefully everyone can help and toss in their two cents and I'll get a decent machine! This is exactly why I love being a part of this community-everyone helping each other out.

Whats youe budget?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427