Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

P3D V2.4 VS 2.5

Hi

i have not been able to download and install P3D v2.5, I'm still flying with V2.4... simply do not have the time (or maybe I'm lazy) to download and reinstall all the addon (I can fly barely 15-30 minutes in the evening).

I am pondering about what exactly I'm missing, and if i should sacrificate an evening for setup and internet connection to download it...

I read the changelog and some thread on the forum but opinions do not seem univocal

What are the main differences? FPS? Graphics?

Also are ORBX scenery compatible with the new FTX Central (V2) and ORBX 02/2015 libraries for pr3d?

thank you very much!!

Alessandro

Hi,

ORBX stuff is compatible as far as adapted to P3D2. FTX Central provides a little error message (re terrain.cfg) which can be neglected.

You are right, some like it better, some less then 2.4. The main new feature is a new file structure, which firsthand might bring a little trouble (like the addon scenery folder being missing). It is said the new file structure will allow more easy minor version updates in the future (... to be confirmed).

I decided to do a full re-install as at some point I'd have to do it anyway. I can wait until, say, 2.7, and do it then, or do it now. I opted for the latter. 

FPS and Graphics are approximately the same as for 2.4 on my system, no drastric change to the better or worse. A few miror bugs have been removed (see changelog).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

There are some subjective reasons to switch. Some report better smoothness of the sim, etc., etc. (that's also my perception).

But there are also objective reasons to switch. For example, I use PrecipitFX. They are about to release the 777 immersion package as well an an update of the base product. They both require v2.5. So for me, it was a no brainer to update. But more important: Future updates of Prepar3d will require v2.5 to install them. So you have to make the switch at some point. So why not do it now? A full reinstall takes time, but sometimes it's nice to setup the sim from scratch. You get rid of those add-ons you don't use anyways and the sim is less "cluttered" with useless stuff. But that's just my 2 cents...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Thank you, very helpful!

So, considering no dramatic improvements over there, i think i'll wait until next patch because my addon are actually compatible with 2.4 only or both

i'm happy with 2.4 and all is going well (also with addons) so i will wait significant improvements before download P3D v2.5...

tks again

As no one helped me with my installation post, I did find a video that explained how to update and keep your add-ons without reinstalling.

It worked for me. I only had to reinstall FSUPIC.

Gus Lane

As a side note, I'd take all extremely positive/negative reports with a grain of salt. Most of the extremely positive reports came in early and where probably given by users who compared barebone 2.5 to the fully stuffed 2.4 they had before.

On the other hand, most of the (few) extremely negative reports are either by newbies with unrealistic settings (bathymetry on, all lighting right etc.) or experts implementing some high-fps/crispiness/blurriness/stutterfree tweak and forgetting about it (and its side effects) later.

On the other Hand, Carlo is right: While I hate re-installs, it's not that bad to have a clean system once in a year or so.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The fact is i installed v2.4 in January (just before 2.5 came out) so i have a quite fresh install plus I'm waiting for the arrival of the new processor I7 4790K and so do not want to mess things up, before enjoying it a bit with my current installation!! :-)

Also it may be intersting for perfomance comparing.

But of course if newer version had given performance appreciably higher than I would meanwhile switch to the v2.5 caring not for comparing satisfaction (at least i hope so!)...

thanks for the valuable information, I definitely will be useful when I decide to upgrade everything.

best regards

I have noticed from the short amount of time using 2.5 with latest patches - fsp are better on my rig - about 15% better

Rich Sennett

I agree with Richard...v2.5 is noticeably better than v2.4.  10%-15% for me.

FaxCap

I didn't notice any difference at all, really, but I have to add I stopped checking fps in P3D ages ago. 2.5 is good and that's good enough for me. ;)