Sign in to follow this  
Claude Troncy

Surface wind stabilisation ?

Bonjour,

On approach with a surface wind of 040/20kts (gust 31 slight wind shear), I do not see the effect of gusts on TAS and wind velocity displayed on the EFIS PMDG 737NGX. The wind velocity is very stable and doesn't reflect the gust effect.

If I close the FSI server then the TAS and the wind velocity reflect the gust effect and even if the FSI turbulence are gone, I can feel the effect of wind gust.

So there is something related to FSI stabilisation I do not understand, that's why I am asking.

The weather is loaded from a saved theme, and I am running 4.48.2 in FSX.

Merci

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

Hi Claude (Bonjour),

For this you must enable the Include Wing Flex Data option in the OpusFSI Weather Preferences (set on by Default option), then you must enable the simulator's own Turbulence and Thermal effects. The OpusFSI Wing Flex Data option injects the turbulence and wind shear data, the sims Turbulence and Thermal Effects option causes the resulting aircraft turbulent motions including wing flexure and ASI fluctuations.

Best set all OpusFSI defaults with the latest release or beta then follow our documented Recommended Practices.

Stephen :-)

You will need to inject OpusFSI generated weather for the above effects and not load a static theme. So set the options and update the OpusFSI weather, either Live Weather, Historic Weather, Imported METARs From a File, or a save OpusFSI World Weather Theme.

You should also have either General DHM or Live Camera DHM enabled, no need to enable Bump Aircraft anymore in the DHM dialog.

OpusFSI Weather User Preferences dialog ...

The Include Wing Flex Data option is enabled by default to move the ASI and VSI when the simulator's turbulence and thermal setting is enabled (recommended); FSX menu - Options, Settings, Display, select the Weather tab, there is an option for turbulence and thermal effects on the aircraft, make sure it is not disabled. Also enable the 'Advanced Animations' option in the FSX menu - Options, Settings, Display - Graphics tab. Note, the wing flex option can cause some aircraft simulations to loose A/T or A/P lock, if so you can disable it in the sim and here.

Hi Stephen,

Before posting I had already checked  my settings.

- Everything is set by default in OPUSFSI.

- The turbulence and thermal effects is unable ( Disable unchecked in FSX weather settings)

- I load a saved world weather theme.

- DHM is enable with no Bump.

- Advanced animation is enable in FSX.

Claude

Claude Troncy

If you have all the above options set and have injected weather with them then the turbulence and wind shear data will be injected. However, you are not going to see any ASI fluctuations and wing flex unless ... You are in turbulent zone, in cloud or low down. Wind gusts are not factored in above about 8000 feet sometimes lower it depends on the conditions. You can monitor the current turbulence strength in the Spy window if you want. But we have had nothing but very positive feedback regarding the injected coordinated Turbukence and wind shear data. I would double check your settings then inject the weather and no doubt you will see the effects when low enough or passing through cloud layers both in the DHM and in the sims own effects.

This might be an effect of the DWC (Dynamic Wind Control) though, I will check.

You should make sure your ambient wind was in keeping with the targeted wind speed and direction. If not then DWC may have been attempting to coax it in the correct direction in order to meet the intended surface conditions. If it was OK the DWC should disengage allowing all normal effects, it is also meant to disengage or take into account gusts. Again I will double check. Thanks for the report.

Hi Claude,

I think I will need to modify the DWC to factor in the gusting conditions. I will work on it and post the change in the next beta 4.48.4 either today or tomorrow.

I suspect when you get below 8000 feet AGL if you disabled our DWC the effects would re-appear. DWC will have to guard against wind directional drift though otherwise the sim might not meet its intended surface wind. 

Hi Stephen...

When you talk about ambient wind is it the one before updating weather ?

it was 350°/31kts... after update by FSI 040/20kts (gust 31 slight wind shear)

In the spy window the turbulence vary from 5 to 3 with frequency from 3 to 2... and the TAS and wind velocity in FSX very stable.

Claude

I think I will need to modify the DWC to factor in the gusting conditions. I will work on it and post the change in the next beta 4.48.4 either today or tomorrow.

Sorry I did not see your last comment in the previous post.

Thanks

Claude

Claude Troncy

We are working on the changes to the DWC which I believe is killing the gust effects in the sim until below 500 feet AGL. I will report back here when we have made progress.

In the mean time, once below 8000 feet, if the ambient wind (the wind at your aircraft's present altitude) is under control compared with its targeted value in the Opus on screen reports, then you could turn off DWC for the final approach. That should give you back the ASI gust fluctuations.

I shall be revamping the Bump Aircraft in the near future to improve the aircraft effects in turbulent conditions.

I will also factor how far above the ground the sim starts simulating wind gusts and adjust the cut off elevation for DWC to match dependent on gust strength.

Hi Stephen,

then you could turn off DWC for the final approach. That should give you back the ASI gust fluctuations.

Yes that give back the gust fluctations.

Cheers

Claude

Claude Troncy

Thanks Claude, I should be able to post the corrected beta tomorrow. Looks like the DWC cut off is stuck at 500 feet (not high enough for very strong surface gusts), I also need to inhibit the wind speed dynamic controls neutralising the real gusts produced by FSX.

I have completed some changes just have some more testing to do with very strong 30+ knot gusts to tie it all in with the sims action.

I have posted OpusFSI Beta Version 4.48.4 for you to try. The sim factors in the surface wind gusts when below about 4000 feet (much lower for smaller gusts), and restricted to the very lowest surface wind layer(s). Our DWC will now accommodate all these ambient wind gusts and allow the sim an additional 2000' leeway above the surface layers.

Bonjour Stephen,

I run a quick test this morning with DWC enabled, and the gusts came back with the  OpusFSI Beta Version 4.48.4 .

Thank you very much for this quick response time.

Best regards

Claude

Claude Troncy