Sign in to follow this  
Planeblogger

Terrain radar reduces FPS - P3D NGX

Hi all,

The PMDG NGX for P3D and the 2.5 release have brought me back to flightsimming after a year.

I am impressed by both packages, but I have this one phenomenon that I was wondering about if anybody else sees this behaviour. 

I took the NGX for a spin from Heraklion into the mountains, and switched on the terrain radar. Immediately FPS dropped from about 20 to 10-11. (terrain radar looks great though!)

I of course switched it off immediately, but I did not regain my FPS back. :-(

Is this a known issue?

Erik

I have not seen an FPS drop when switching on the Terrain radar.   I did a flight into Las Vegas yesterday which has mountains around it and did not see any FPS loss from the radar during the descent in.   That is strange.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I took the NGX for a spin from Heraklion into the mountains, and switched on the terrain radar. Immediately FPS dropped from about 20 to 10-11. (terrain radar looks great though!)
I of course switched it off immediately, but I did not regain my FPS back. :-(
Is this a known issue?

First - it's not a radar. It's looking at a database of terrain. Completely different behavior. This is true for our simulation and the real plane.

Also, since the FPS did not return to normal after the feature was disabled, I would argue that what you saw was coincidental. Regardless, there is a certain performance hit that is going to happen any time a new feature is enabled. It might not be severe, but when you give a computer more lines to draw, it's going to have an effect on processing.

Kyle Rodgers