Sign in to follow this  
m9matt

Trackir and view in cockpit

I always use trackir, but my view in cockpit is just slightly too high in a few aircraft. It's like I can only look out of the window, rather than looking at the dials. I have to move my head down to see the dials.

Is there a way to postion your view in the aircraft. Almost like lowering my seat.

I have no problems with A2A aircraft, but PMDG, Alabeo have the view set too high.

Any ideas?

Yes, but I don't remember where to edit that. 

That said, the default view point in each aircraft is a bit different, so it can be a lot of work to do this by editing.  The fastest and easiest way is to reposition yourself in your chair (scrunch down, reset TrackIR and sit back up).  You can reposition your head as well as your body.  Sounds silly, but it's very fast and most everyone does it.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

With FS9 this was easy but with FSX and P3D the functionality was lost, however Ezdok gives us the ability to move the viewpoint easily.

Ezdok and TrackIR make a great team.

I find that a lot of aircraft addons need a different seat height between sitting on the runway and being in cruise, with Ezdok this is easy enough to rectify.

thanks Dave and Glynn. I think maybe Ezdok is the way ahead. I'm constantly resetting my centre view within trackir, as I find it drifts from position as I move around, so it's just not easy to repostion my head each time.

Before editing the plane files, with Explorer add Write and Modify permissions to the Users group on the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" folder. Right-click, Properties, Security, Edit, choose "Users (<my_pc>\Users)", check Modify and Write permissions, Apply, Apply to subfolders, OK. If you've installed P3D into your own folder then you already have permissions.

For backup, make a Copy of:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\SimObjects\Airplanes\<plane_name>\aircraft.cfg"

Edit the .cfg file with Notepad.exe.

alter the initial viewpoint with the [Views] section:

[Views]
eyepoint = -8.213, -0.80, 2.32 //Longitudinal, Lateral, Vertical (feet)

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

That's what the F12 key is for - to center your view. You want to look down a bit more? Activate TIR - look up a tad - hit F12 to make THAT the center - then when you look straight - you are looking slightly down. ALso works when you need to REALLY look down or left or right - look way up - hit f12 and look straight and you'll be looking at a lower panel,etc.

No need to edit anything. Takes a split second, especially if you have f9/f12 mapped to a rocker switch.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That's what the F12 key is for - to center your view. You want to look down a bit more? Activate TIR - look up a tad - hit F12 to make THAT the center - then when you look straight - you are looking slightly down. ALso works when you need to REALLY look down or left or right - look way up - hit f12 and look straight and you'll be looking at a lower panel,etc.

No need to edit anything. Takes a split second, especially if you have f9/f12 mapped to a rocker switch.

Vic

The problem I have, is I have to keep reseting, as I get a drift on the trackir. So I'm doing this everything 20 or 30 seconds.

Make sure that there is no window behind you, because the sunlight will distract TIR (even with blinds). Always have the window in front of you.

With the keys....   SHIFT + ENTER (or BACKSPACE) you can adjust the height of your view position

CTRL + ENTER (or BACKSPACE) you can move forward or backward

this positions will not be saved..so you have to do it again after you restart FSX or P3D

Maybe this was what you where looking for.

That is the sort of thing I'm after Labbi85, but it doesn't work with trackir. It tries to move it, but I think the trackir is overriding it.

I've had a look at Ezdok. Does this require a migration tool? Or is there a P3D version ? This view is frustrating. It's funny, my a2a aircraft have no problems, but the others are just too high in the seat to see the dials properly.

That is the sort of thing I'm after Labbi85, but it doesn't work with trackir. It tries to move it, but I think the trackir is overriding it.

I've had a look at Ezdok. Does this require a migration tool? Or is there a P3D version ? This view is frustrating. It's funny, my a2a aircraft have no problems, but the others are just too high in the seat to see the dials properly.

I've had a look at Ezdok. Does this require a migration tool

No, if you have it installed in FSX then just copy the relevant sections from exe.xml to your P3D one,

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>EZdok camera addon</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\EZCA\EZCA.exe</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

There is a P3D version you will find it here somewhere:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-software_forum39.html

my a2a aircraft have no problems, but the others are just too high in the seat to see the dials

In that case for a quick fix you can follow what SteveW suggested and edit the VC seat position for each aircraft in the Aircraft.cfg, a little trial and error and you should get the result you want.

[Views]

eyepoint = -8.213, -0.80, 2.32 //Longitudinal, Lateral, Vertical (feet)

Thanks Glynn and Steve

the Views did the trick for me. I ended up reducing the longitudinal figure, which moved me further back so I could see better. I little bit of time and effort in Notepad++ did the trick.

On 3/12/2015 at 4:12 PM, Labbi85 said:

Make sure that there is no window behind you, because the sunlight will distract TIR (even with blinds). Always have the window in front of you.

With the keys....   SHIFT + ENTER (or BACKSPACE) you can adjust the height of your view position

CTRL + ENTER (or BACKSPACE) you can move forward or backward

this positions will not be saved..so you have to do it again after you restart FSX or P3D

Maybe this was what you where looking for.

This only works with TIR paused, as soon as I unpause it, the seat goes back to being too high...

spacer.png