Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

The Rising Cost of Flight Simming

I just purchased the 777 for P3D v2.4 and took advantage of the initial 'special' offer. Glad I did. It only cost me $au 120.00 or so. The au$ just hit its lowest point since the gfc at 75c US. NOW, I know this works both ways as last year our currency was $1.10 US but at this rate of exchange I would not be expecting too many sales from this part of the world if I were PMDG. I had hoped that I could collect the same stable of PMDG aircraft for P3D as I have for FSX but a man's gotta eat. I do not broach the subject to hold PMDG culpable in any way. It is just the way the system works but for people on fixed incomes these wonderful aircraft are being put further out of reach.

Jon Shearer

Addon pricing has gone silly in general lately, with some exceptions it's greatly oustripping inflation without significantly upping the quality. Especially developers charging extra for P3D (I'm not going to go in to the whys and wherefores of that, just the plain fact it pushes costs up a lot). Carenado seem to be getting cheeky with their pricing lately, getting towards PMDG territory but without the feature set.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

We were actually talking about the dollar's performance last night, and how that's not necessarily a good thing in all cases. This would be one of them.

Also, this thread is one of those that stands on the edge of what we allow and what we don't allow, so please keep it clean. If it goes south, it's disappearing.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

On the other hand all the economic system works with the same rules.and has the same risks. the rate of change risk is one of there..i.e. for an european person, 'cause the weak of our euro currency going to the States will be more and more expensive...

Ciao

Andrea.

So far ... it's still cheaper than getting and maintaining a pilot's license.

-- tazz

The bright side is that there are many, many addons to choose from, so your available options when seeking value are better than ever. PMDG products are always worth saving for.

Last year I dumped the change out of my pocket each day into empty plastic milk jugs. In October I took it to the bank, dumped it in their counting machine and had over $200.

Last year I dumped the change out of my pocket each day into empty plastic milk jugs. In October I took it to the bank, dumped it in their counting machine and had over $200.

I do the same thing, but since I use cash for so much, I actually usually get about $25-30 every other month...of course, being in aviation, this all goes towards coffee   :Cuppa:

Kyle Rodgers

As I mentioned in my initial post, "it works both ways". It's disappointing is all. I do not criticise developers charging for their efforts, especially in the case of PMDG. When I can afford it, my next must have is the DC6B for X-Plane.

After pondering on the subject for a while: The cost is not the only consideration ie I have 4 Flight Sim programs. FSX Accel appears to be in its death throes with the advent of FSX SE but FSX Accel is where the major part of my investment has ended up, X Plane has not grabbed me yet. Perhaps the DC6B will change that but the biggest decision is, what horse do I invest my money on. Do I stay with P3D and invest my dough, there or do I sign up for FSX SE and still have to re-acquire all my beloved aircraft. At this stage I believe P3D is the one but with the goal posts moving what seems like, daily, my mind may be changed tomorrow.

Jon Shearer

I do the same thing, but since I use cash for so much, I actually usually get about $25-30 every other month...of course, being in aviation, this all goes towards coffee   :Cuppa:

I don't keep much change. I'm the old bloke at the supermarket checkout with 6 or 8 people waiting to get through, slowly counting his change into the operators hand...and can anyone tell me why it is that the credit card that does not work belongs to whomever is in front of me.

Jon Shearer

Re: The moving goal posts: I just checked out the sp1d update for PMDG 777 and the NGX and it gives me the option of installing into FSX SE. At least I would have my 2 favourite tubeliners at the get go. The pendulum is swinging.

Jon Shearer

I don't keep much change. I'm the old bloke at the supermarket checkout with 6 or 8 people waiting to get through, slowly counting his change into the operators hand...and can anyone tell me why it is that the credit card that does not work belongs to whomever is in front of me.

I usually keep a couple coins in hand when I check out so that I can occasionally avoid getting more pennies, but I usually don't hand coins back unless I know I can be quick with it.

I'm right there with the card thing. It's either that or the person complains about something like a coupon being expired, or similar. My other favorite is when I escape the office for lunch and get behind the person ordering for their whole office...

Kyle Rodgers

Sterling...sterling...sterling!!!!!

Loving buying stuff from Europe now...not so much the States

Ian R Tyldesley

I don't complain at all about the cost of addons. This is my only real hobby. It's really cheaper then golfing, fishing or a lot of other things, and is what I really love doing. Anything that enhances my sim is worth some $. My problem is my hard drive is getting full.  

Vic green

When i was working in the Canadian oil patch i pulled my Visa without thinking too much about buying addon's but i retired 2 years ago and now i really have a good look at what i'm gonna buy .

I've seen a number of times people saying that PMDG is expensive, but I think in fact PMDG delivers very high value for the dollar. You could buy 1 PMDG aircraft and be kept busy with it for a long time, or spend a bit less on other products that deliver paper-thin depth of simulation and be bored after a couple dozen flights or frustrated at the bugs and lack of quality and end up buying new aircraft over and over.

The bad news for PMDG for my part is that I expect to remain busy with the NGX for a long time so I don't know if I'm ever going to buy the 777. The DC6 on the other hand, I doubt I'll be able to say no to that one LOL.

Barry Friedman