Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

The Rising Cost of Flight Simming

This is also a very unique hobby. In essence simming has created/revolutionized the commercial flight simulation market.  How many other hobbies can claim such a thing? Just think about it. FSX/P3D ESP and X-plane are being used in many commercial simulators used in RW training. Many well-known developers' products that we use to enhance our virtual experience are also being used on a commercial level to create a better virtual flying environment for pilots in training. Today, there is a very fine line between our hobby and commercial simulation and the two worlds, in many ways, feed off each other. In fact, I would say the commercial market has, and continues to, benefit greatly from the years of experience we have in the flight sim community.  

Agree with others, for the countless hours of enjoyment they provide, PMDG products (and other high quality add-on makers) are actually a great deal. For me at least, PMDG is an instant buy. 

Stefan Ticusan

The cost of one of PMDG's aircraft simulations is less than a night out on the town. And will provide far, far more hours of enjoyment. It's a no brainer.

Dave

Dave Paige

Agree with others, for the countless hours of enjoyment they provide, PMDG products (and other high quality add-on makers) are actually a great deal. For me at least, PMDG is an instant buy. 

Hi I agree too...

Money spent for purchaising pmdg products is well worth...

I've been practising flight simulation since 1990 and I've seen and tested almost all high quality products regarding airliners (first step using fs3 and fs4 then airline simulator1 and 2, B744 precision simulator ecc. ecc.) and i.e. till ten years ago a software like NGX 737 would have been a dream! (I'm stil strange for me the fact that the developpers have succeded in making a such realistic and complete simulation in spite off all the limits inside FSX)...

Best

Andrea

Ciao

Andrea

Hi all,

I agree with most of what is being said. Now that I have retired and on a fixed income, I just pick and choose more . I now just fly in smaller areas and with fewer  planes.

Bob Bazley

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG 737NGX" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Barry has a point the depth of PMDG products has kept me entertained for a very long time. (over 3 years)

if you divide the price I've spent on PMDG products by how many hours I've spent flying them then it works out to be an extremely inexpensive hobby, if you compare it to some other hobbies.

In fact I ran some numbers and based on an average of 4 hours flying everyday, 350 days a year, it works out to be just $55 per year.

renting a Cessna where I live is currently $250 per hour....so by comparison Flight Simming is peanuts

Matthew Kane

I do the same thing, but since I use cash for so much, I actually usually get about $25-30 every other month...of course, being in aviation, this all goes towards coffee   :Cuppa:

Just wait until you start doing international flying....

I have a ziplock bag for each country's currency I fly to... one for euros, one for $NZ, $AUS, Yen, Won. And you'll definitely forget a zippy or bring the wrong one at least once!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

renting a Cessna where I live is currently $250 per hour....so by comparison Flight Simming is peanuts

Amen, brother.  I always chuckle a bit when people start comparing the cost of simming to real world flying.  As a pilot and former aircraft owner I guarantee the difference is orders of magnitude no matter where you live.

As hobbies go, simming is still a relatively affordable one.  That doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for those on fixed incomes, as I'm soon to join that esteemed group.  But you still have to put things into perspective.  At a premium level, the hobby can certainly be somewhat costly, but so can any other when you go for top-shelf.

Scott

I have no problem with PMDG charging what they did for the base package in P3D. I purchased the 777 for both sims and plan on doing the same for the 737.

What held my wallet (and that is all that truly matters) is the fact they are also charging 100% the price for the addon variants in P3D for previous owners in FSX. I already have the -300 and -600/700 in FSX and have no intention to double down in P3D. No logic will explain how they could justify that to previously loyal consumers.

I will now be skipping those add on variants in P3D as well as the DC6. I was originally going to buy the DC6 to support the company, however I will now save my coin for the 747. Believe it or not, it saddens me more that I no longer feel the loyalty to buy their products soley on the goodwill they had once generated for me.

The more money people are willing to spend, the more likely prices will continue to increase.

Why charge $130 for existing owners of the PMDG 777? Probably because people willing to actually fork over that kind of money. Hell, your own customers will even justify the price for you. Easy peasy business.

1. There IS life (& money) beyond PMDG!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1. There IS life (& money) beyond PMDG!

But this is a Flight simming forum where we discuss matters related .If Im out riding my bike Im not here :rolleyes:

I love PMDG but there is NO WAY I would have bought the NGX twice if I had to in FSX-SE, fortunately not the case.

ZORAN

Remembering last christmas and its sales, I say this is cheap. With little patience costs stay low. And I'm not a pmdg believer, there are as good and almost as good addons on offer. Paid 20€ for pmdg md11, coolsky dc9, ifly 737 etc. And all from respected retailers. Even ftx has an annual sale nowadays, so spend wise and get more.