Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

My Initial Attempt at Networking is Failing so Far

I recently built a Haswell E (4790K) rig.  My plan was to network the new computer (with FSX installed) with my older Ivy Bridge rig with the ancillary programs I use.  I suppose my overall networking assumptions are wrong.  I assumed you would have the processing power of two computers able to share files and programs between each other.

On my FSX computer, I have a 1TB SSD exclusively used for FSX.  My OS is on another SSD.

The Ivy Bridge rig has a 500GB SSD that all the other FSX programs will run.  It's OS is also on a separate SSD.

I have tried direct connection using USB and ethernet patch cords.  I currently have the two computers networked through my router, however I cannot get the machines to see anything other than the OS drives.  Is it a requirement to have FSX installed in a folder on the same drive as the OS?  Are you not able to network two computers with separate drives for FSX?  I admit, I don't know a lot about networking, but I've been trying to study up but just can't get the "big picture".  Any direction or advice is greatly appreciated.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Hope this thread turns out to be good, I'm in the same boat and I am by far not "computer dumb". Hope to get some helpful info.

What programs are you trying to run on the second computer?  That will help determine what all needs to be configured for them to work together.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I suppose you already know that you need to set the "share" permissions for the directories that you want the other computer to see. There is no restriction on something having to be on the OS drive.

The folders you want to "see" first need to be shared,

So browse to the folder that you want to share then right click > properties > sharing > click on share.

On the other machine go to start menu > Computer then from the menu at the top choose Map Network drive, choose a drive letter then browse to the folder you just shared on the other machine.

You will now be able to go directly to that shared folder by selecting its new drive letter in windows explorer or start menu > computer.

Do this on each machine for the folders that you need to be able to see on the network.

So, Share on one machine then Map on the other, its that simple.

This is obviously needs login credentials on each machine to be the same (user/password)

What programs are you trying to run on the second computer?  That will help determine what all needs to be configured for them to work together.

Any program that will take a little load off the main FSX processor.  My readings have led me to believe that items such as ASN, RC4, FlightSim Commander, etc.  I also would like to inject scenery from that computer as well, if that is possible.

I have watched Froogles video a dozen times and I can't get past setting up the network to see the FSX drive.

His FSX is inside a folder of his C:\ drive.  Mine is on a separate drive.  I can get my computer to "see" the C:\ drive, but not the FSX drive.  That is leading me to believe that all sharing must be between C:\ drives.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Trust us, there is no need for the FSX drive to be co-located with the OS. :) Go to one of the directories that you can already see on the network from the remote computer, right click and then go to Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing. Look at the permissions. Now when you go the FSX folder (or whatever other directory/file you want to share) make sure it has those same sharing permissions, and then you ought to be able to see it.

Since you have ASN, I would HIGHLY recommend looking through their manual on a network setup.  They have excellent detailed instructions on what is needed to get the folders shared properly and get things such as SimConnect working.  Start there, and once that is done your other programs will/should work with your main FSX computer.

Injecting scenery is not something i've done before so I cannot assist with that one.  Note however that things like RC4 will play their ATC through the second computer's sound system and not your main FSX computer.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Note however that things like RC4 will play their ATC through the second computer's sound system and not your main FSX computer.

But... if you run a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio lead from the client machines headphone out into the FSX machines line in then RC's sound output will play on the FSX machine.

It actually works really well this way as you have control of RC's volume using the clients volume settings

FS Commander needs WideFS to "see" the aircraft and AI aircraft in FSX.  It's part of FSUIPC. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Great input guys ... thanks.  I have renewed hope getting this thing going.  I'm off to study the ASN manual.  I'm sure I'll be checking back with some Q's.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

This is obviously needs login credentials on each machine to be the same (user/password)

Just want to emphasize Glynn's point.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Dennis, like jlohrenz said, look at this doc, specific for ActiveSky but useful for every networked addon:

http://support.hifitechinc.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/6/3/networked-configuration-with-simconnect

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Great input guys ... thanks.  I have renewed hope getting this thing going.  I'm off to study the ASN manual.  I'm sure I'll be checking back with some Q's.

Having just installed Aivlasofts Electronic Flight Bag I know what your going thru. Aivlasoft does a very good job of reading the registry keys and doing most of the work for you but! In some cases you need to set up shares. Particularly if you want the display unit on a different computer. Just right click on a foldr a you will see a share option using one of the tabs. Some will say "Share with who" you mouse over and see home group, other users or stuff of that nature and what permisions you want to allow, i.e. "write, read", "Read & Write". In other cases you will see advanced sharing  button. It give you more choices within click boxes. Also a choice for a whole computer. It's a pain if you have not done this before but after a bit you will get the hang of it.

Baldy 

With all the advances that MS has made I find networking PC's is still very difficult.  I recently learned after updating to Win10 on my sim PC (server) that it would not connect with the Win10 powered client.  I had to recreate the homegroup and re-apply shares which had existed before.  The single most important thing that I found which helped the most was adding "Everyone" with full control under the security tab.  Oh, and don't forget to add inbound and outbound rules to your windows firewall.

\Robert Hamlich/