Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Popcorn clouds continue in 2.5.12944

I can confirm that launching P3D from REX+OD absolutely solves the popcorn clouds and repeated textures. Once again I see the beautiful, towering clouds I remember from FSX. I will try to report back with some comparison screenshots tonight.

I am very excited because now I have a plethora of cloud options to tweak, without fudging the cloud.fx. Before launching from REX+OD, I can experiment with mix/matching textures from OD, REX4 and SoftClouds, with or without ASN enabled. That's a great deal of variables. Up until now, I sort of felt backed in to a corner with ASN+REX4, with poor results.

Dare I hope that P3D will finally meet my visual expectations this week? This is the last piece of the puzzle, from my perspective.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'm glad your happy of your findings Aaron but this isn't good news for TD4 buyers like myself :(

Can someone from REX comment on to why OD clouds look fine and TD4 clouds (which is a newer product) look poor?

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I'm glad your happy of your findings Aaron but this isn't good news for TD4 buyers like myself :(

Indeed, that is a bummer.

The optimist buried deep within me assumes that REX's new weather engine (in development) will solve some of these issues in P3D. But what they produce for FSX doesn't necessarily translate to P3D2.5. I hope they consider this before releasing identical products for FSX and P3D.

Again, I find myself talking out of my @$$ because I really have no clue whats going on under the hood here. Not my area of expertise.

Gonna shut up now and go tweak my clouds. Good luck.

I don't think that any weather engine will resolve the issue. It happens with the default weather and any of the engines. Something inherent in the weather code in P3D, in combination with certain cloud sets seems to cause this issue. From all the posts in the various forums, I can say that no one REALLY has a handle on what's behind it.

I don't know why but I *rarely* see them on my system, others with similar systems are complaining about them. Go figure.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Before we throw the baby our with the bath water, I would suggest this option.

Select the clouds you like in REX+OD.  Install.

Now, in REX TD, disable low level clouds and wave generation.  Select what you prefer here ( I like the TD cirrus clouds better as well as some sky texture and airport and lighting textures).  Install.

Now activate REX Soft Clouds.  Select what you like.  Install.

The results are simply stunning.  No popcorn, just plain immersive.

Here is link to developer YouTube video where he walks through REX OD in P3D.  Around 5:50 mark he talks about having to pay one time fee to access rights to use P3D with Overdrive.

Thank you - missed that one - i am going to have a talk with Tim over this lol - kidding

Rich Sennett

Before we throw the baby our with the bath water, I would suggest this option.

Select the clouds you like in REX+OD.  Install.

Now, in REX TD, disable low level clouds and wave generation.  Select what you prefer here ( I like the TD cirrus clouds better as well as some sky texture and airport and lighting textures).  Install.

Now activate REX Soft Clouds.  Select what you like.  Install.

The results are simply stunning.  No popcorn, just plain immersive.

This advice I will take for sure. Thanks.

This is dumb. If this can be rectified by installing OD, then REX Direct must be the issue, right?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

This is dumb. If this can be rectified by installing OD, then REX Direct must be the issue, right?

The texture sizes between OD and REX differ significantly. The OD cloud texture sizes appear to be 4096x4096 versus REX4 at 128x128 which is why with OD the "popcorn" issue isn't nearly as apparent.

This is after only spending about an hour playing around with some of the cloud sets from OD.

I can confirm that launching P3D from REX+OD absolutely solves the popcorn clouds and repeated textures. Once again I see the beautiful, towering clouds I remember from FSX. I will try to report back with some comparison screenshots tonight.

I am very excited because now I have a plethora of cloud options to tweak, without fudging the cloud.fx. Before launching from REX+OD, I can experiment with mix/matching textures from OD, REX4 and SoftClouds, with or without ASN enabled. That's a great deal of variables. Up until now, I sort of felt backed in to a corner with ASN+REX4, with poor results.

Dare I hope that P3D will finally meet my visual expectations this week? This is the last piece of the puzzle, from my perspective.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Well, sucks for us who "only" have REX4 TD and Soft Clouds. Not going to buy OD just to solve this. It has to be other ways.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Fex which I have gone back to works great, and better water as well

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Cant comment on ASN as I am using Opusfsi now - regardless the tweaking needs to be done in P3D advanced settings to bring it all to life

heres proof before tinkering I had ugly popcorn clouds after it looks like this - pretty impressive imo - by the way this was UTX V2 USA and FTX global REX4 and soft clouds only in these shots

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/images/rich2.jpg

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/images/uwuog.jpg

Richard any chance of asking on the Opus forum about this.

I use OpusFSI myself and can see sort of see the problem but

cannot seem to generate a screen shot that really illustrates it.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Reading this thread, I am confused about what's the origin of the popcorn clouds. I use TD4 + ASN and I'm currently downloading again my REX+OD order. Reading this conversation I identified three reasons:

1) Weather Engine

2) Textures

3) Prepar3D 

Do we have any official answer of the reason of the popcorn clouds, or by installing the REX+OD package will get similar results? Apologies for asking again but its because I read contradictory opinions..

The texture sizes between OD and REX differ significantly. The OD cloud texture sizes appear to be 4096x4096 versus REX4 at 128x128 which is why with OD the "popcorn" issue isn't nearly as apparent.

This is after only spending about an hour playing around with some of the cloud sets from OD.

So, Mike do you suggest that the problem is not fixed by REX+OD, but gets masked?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Reading this thread, I am confused about what's the origin of the popcorn clouds. I use TD4 + ASN and I'm currently downloading again my REX+OD order. Reading this conversation I identified three reasons:

1) Weather Engine

2) Textures

3) Prepar3D 

Do we have any official answer of the reason of the popcorn clouds, or by installing the REX+OD package will get similar results? Apologies for asking again but its because I read contradictory opinions..

REX has said it is not their fault.

HiFi has said it is not their fault.

LM has never responded.

Everyone throws their own conclusions.