Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

DISAPPOINTING, to say the least

This after an OOM message...

fs9.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c14f0e7" referenced memory at "0x0000001c". 

The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

I have been around FS9 long enough to know that it probably has nothing to do with "memory".

Possibly related, there was a Windows Update a little prior.
This being WIN XP, I see the System Restore function has kindly been disabled (by MS as part of their "unsupport"?) 

I wondered if any of the assembled expertise has a quick fix.

If I have to re-install the sim or do anything that takes more than an hour... it's gone, and I will look to other amusements.  :( 

Do a Google search and you will find loads of results.

A lot seem open-ended, but the general conclusion seems to be a faulty add-on eating memory. My first thought is an addon scenery with landclass files in with the main scenery - something that some scenery designers are still blind to on new work.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Make sure you have about 3 gigB available on your system C: drive and also where you elected to store your Win swap files. Be sure you have cleaned out the recycle bin, etc.

The usual question is what if anything was added/changed prior to the crash.

FS does not like to access running processes in a swap file so be sure you are not running too many other background apps leaving too little physical ram left for FS.

If I have to re-install the sim or do anything that takes more than an hour... it's gone, and I will look to other amusements.

I felt the same way recently. :lol:

Did you apply the fix for AES 2.38 properly ….as both instances of AES-LFMN-ASI.BGL need to be replaced. 

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/92765-aes-238-is-available-now/#entry661535

The memory could not be "read".

I believe Ronzie (the astute Mr.Ron Ginsberg) is on the right track.  In my experience this phrase relates to hard drive, virtual memory or insufficient ram causations.

After checking free space/memory I would also defragment your HD or 'trim' your SSD. If that doesn't work I would definitely run C Check. I am also in the habit of rebooting before starting a flight, just to be on the safe side.

Don't give up WingZ ... we value your participation and contributions too much.  B)  Particularly as you are from 'down under.'  :lol:

Good luck WingZ! Hope to see you back posting screenshots soon, I love looking at your screenshots.

PS: I didn't think Mircosoft still did updates for Windows XP.

WingZ, I feel with you: Had to ground my Tupolev due to a "disk reading error" that doesn't allow to boot my Win7 system since I did a defrag yesterday and that requires at least repairing the OS, if not the Hardware...

Good luck!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hard drives are not perfect pieces of machinery and occasionally data-loss happens through no fault of anyones. Sometimes, these things happen. In a complex program with little tolerance for errors (such as FS9), this can be a problem... Which is why I usually reinstall about once a year regardless. It ensures continued integrity of things like landclass files - which FS can't be bothered to tolerate.

In that regard, landclass is a bother. If there's a texture missing, FS OOMs. If it's layered wrong, FS OOMs. If it's got even a minor error, FS crashes... if there's anything wrong, FS gags on it. Not like textures - FS has a lot tolerance for those things... 

It has to do with what we tout for FS9: a stable platform that doesn't need constant tweak/fiddle/massage to operate.

To me, flightsim sessions are therapeutic: after a few hours of work grind I find nothing more relaxing than a cuppa, and a quick Fly. It's a re-energising experience.

So please forgive my outburst, I was deprived of my "Fix"!

I'm sure it is no more than a 2- or 3-step backpedal to find out what went wrong. 

The WIndows Update might be at fault. Despite being "unsupported" MS sends out Windows Defender updates, as well as MS Office bloat files. Not having System Restore available was a bit of a surprise, and removes one of the backstop fixes for things like this.

I'll get that out of the way first, and then look to the sim. If it's there, I'll wager AES is involved, and as mentioned by several here, an addon scenery issue.

Note to self: Above all, DO NOT PANIC.

Thank you for your comments, I have 46 minutes left of the allotted hour.  :unsure:

It has to do with what we tout for FS9: a stable platform that doesn't need constant tweak/fiddle/massage to operate.

I don't think any platform that hosts so many addons, from so many developers, can be free from the risk of some conflicts.

The best thing to do is to address it logically;  In respect of Leonard Nimoy, disconnect your emotional faculties, as Mr Spock would.. :smile: ... and just take things one step at a time.    Removing any suspect addons (like those installed most recently).     Move your FS9,CFG to a temporary location and let FS9 create a new one; just to see how things go.    You can always put the original one back if you need/want to.

Try the defrag / trim / disc clean, as suggested above.

Most of all, just see it as bad luck, life, just something that needs sorting, rather than your PC or FS9 doing something to pee you off.... :wink:

And don't jack it in because of one FS9 crash! ..... that'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If you kept your previous AES version, perhaps you can reinstall it. Is it add a specific airport and if so which one, or is it all.

Try a flight at a non-AES default airport with default aircraft and see if you crash. Turn down ai to 0% in case a defective ai is present. Use just FS for now. The idea is for testing to conserve RAM use and stick to basics.

The referenced address in the error message is system protected memory.

I never use Win auto updates but select what I allow to be installed.

If Windows is the issue look here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/Results.aspx?q=windows%20xp&form=DLC

for some useful links.

Consider reinstalling XP SP3. Use the network install version as you download it first and then you can install it offline. It is 313 MB so do this offline method and take a break during the download. Make sure you have plenty of disk space available. Now, I use Norton Internet Security Suite which is active anti-virus plus a firewall so I am not limited to the vagaries of MS discontinued support and I do not allow MS to replace stuff randomly.

NIS like many other third party protection packages has a "gaming mode" that turns off part of it for a period you designate so it doesn't consume resources while "gaming". If you are not flying on line you can take the added protection of disabling your LAN port once you have received all your data prior to flying.

Another thought is that if your system disk space got low, then Win might have quit making a sys restore.

Various installers for Win apps sometimes ignore where you declared temp files to be stored and leave their temp install files in the windows temp directory for install files. Do a My Computer and right click on your C: drive then properties. Don't allow compression. Run the cleanup facilities including temp Internet files.

One more trick to suck up some of your time :) Start Win and log on as yourself with admin privileges. Go to the control panel and click admin services. Go to Event Viewer. Clear out the entries for a fresh log. Now do your thing in FS which generates the crash. Immediately go back into event viewer and search for fatal errors. See if anything points to something recognizable. These logs are l.o.o.o.n.g which is why I recommend you clear them before you test.

You can also install an app from MS that will allow you to check resources and what is running. In its status area it shows physical ram use. Use the top pane only for a listing of whats running. Hovering the mouse over any name in the list shows the specific process command line calling that service since those dll service names will be duplicates in that list. Download Process Explorer from:

https://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/sysinternals/bb896653

By default it will probe once per second which will not load down FS too much.

Have FS set to not pause on task switch and then alt-tab to Process Explorer and back to FS as needed.

BTW. I am on XP SP3.

System Restore has not been disabled by any MS update.

Open Control Panel - System - System Properties and finally the tab System Restore.

There you can enable drives to be monitored.

It was an interesting solution, in the end...

Sure, AES2.38 spat the dummy.

Before getting round to the patched download, I moved some stuff around in the sim, in preparation for some future adventures.

But I did not install any new addons; what I did do, amongst other things, was to copy in a previously installed Algiers scenery from the archive hangar.

When I ran the patched AES, it started to do the usual nanny thing and I go yesyesyes get on with it.

In there, it would have asked if it should activate DAAG. 

The DAAG scenery of course has a landclass issue, so well done all of you who are now going: told you so!

The sim is back, and I of course am delighted.

Sorry for the disturbance, and thank you!

The Postscript:_ 

The XP Restore function only works on my machine for restore points you created, not system generated ones, like Win Defender updates. So lesson learned.

I have removed WIN updates (even though it growls at me every time the system boots). There is nothing I need from MS on this computer.

I also removed all those other things that know better about how they take over resources on the machine. Hewlett Packard is particularly bad at this.

Java too, is gone, it phones home constantly.

As is iTunes, horrible Know-it-all software.

I ran my Registry repair tool, which fixed 212 orphan Registry entries.

I defragged the drives,sorely needed it turns out.

My WIN XPSP3 computer runs FS9.5 as if it were new.

Probably a Good Thing to have a minor crisis every now and then!

Having done all this: if it were a system problem, be it hardware or software, I really would have walked away.

In fact the entire box would have been junked. There is no way I will configure a new computer or even rebuild FS9 from scratch. 

Hi,

may I use the opportunity of this thread (WingZ, I hope you don't see it as hijack) to announce that after a week of sorrow and pain my PC is equipped with a new hard disk. Though I lost all documents, pictures and whatsoever, I had an up-to-date backup of my flight simulator and so my FS9.x is back!

Best regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

No highjack... this has turned into a tale of joy!

Very glad for you that the sorrow and pain is over.

It's one of the joys of FS9 that one can roll up your sleeves, get a little dirty, and sort out the problems, isn't it? B)