Sign in to follow this  
Nick M

Quick question / feature request: touchdown smoke

Hello Guys!

Have to confess I'm not a PrecipitFX customer (yet) but I'm certainly interested for the modest price.

I have a quick question though... Does the package enhance the existing FSX touchdown tire smoke effects? As far as I can tell from the website and video, it doesn't. If this is indeed the case, is there any chance that this is something that would be considered for a future update?

Maybe I'm a bit of a narcissist, but I tend to watch my landings using the replay function from time-to-time. Typically I fly GA stuff, and I've always noticed that the default FSX "fx_tchdwn_s.fx" effect is a bit odd. Specifically, the puff of smoke generated on tyre contact with paved runways seem to rise vertically whilst actually keeping pace with the aircraft (i.e. matching its forward speed) which is a bit disconcerting.

Any technical insight from the FSFX experts would be very welcome. Do you guys also see the effect rendered in this way?

I'm also not terribly keen on the touchdown smoke effects for larger aircraft either as they seem a bit overdone; a general overhaul of the three paved runway touchdown effects in FSX would be very welcome! :wink:

Thanks,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Hello Guys!

Have to confess I'm not a PrecipitFX customer (yet) but I'm certainly interested for the modest price.

I have a quick question though... Does the package enhance the existing FSX touchdown tire smoke effects? As far as I can tell from the website and video, it doesn't. If this is indeed the case, is there any chance that this is something that would be considered for a future update?

Maybe I'm a bit of a narcissist, but I tend to watch my landings using the replay function from time-to-time. Typically I fly GA stuff, and I've always noticed that the default FSX "fx_tchdwn_s.fx" effect is a bit odd. Specifically, the puff of smoke generated on tyre contact with paved runways seem to rise vertically whilst actually keeping pace with the aircraft (i.e. matching its forward speed) which is a bit disconcerting.

Any technical insight from the FSFX experts would be very welcome. Do you guys also see the effect rendered in this way?

I'm also not terribly keen on the touchdown smoke effects for larger aircraft either as they seem a bit overdone; a general overhaul of the three paved runway touchdown effects in FSX would be very welcome! :wink:

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the suggestion. New touchdown effects is something that has been requested a lot since the launch of PrecipitFX. What we need to know is that this product (PrecipitFX) is primarily about precipitation effects and about changing the way rain and snow looks in the sim. Brake smoke effect was an afterthought and shouldn't really have been there in the first place when we think about it.

Although we don't plan to include new touchdown effects in PrecipitFX, we are considering it for a future product.

Thanks again!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

Thanks for the reply. Hope the touchdown smoke does make it into a future product: I'll certainly keep my eye out...

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations