Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Black GSX baggage loaders and invisible aircraft

Hi Steve,

Wanted to ask you if you think a couple of weird things I experienced could be related to DX10SF and that I recently started using shadows with the latest version of the NGX.

First on a flight I did yesterday I noticed how another online aircraft (IVAO MTL model) was invisible, only the lights were visible. Then on a flight today I noticed how the GSX baggage loaders on my arrival were all black. The other GSX objects such as the moving staircases look normal though.

Have never seen this before I started using shadows with the latest version of the NGX so that's why I was thinking it might be related? Then as mentioned previously I've unticked the adaptive HD shadows in the debug screen too.

I grabbed a screenshot of the black GSX baggage loaders I can add later on when I get home.

Edited to add the screenshot showing the black GSX baggage loaders.

Black%20GSX%20baggage%20loaders.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Very very unlikely to be any connection.

I would guess GSX uses legacy code. Try playing with the options in the legacy dialog v2 options and slider

(note not the legacy shadow options which should be off when flying a non legacy plane such as the PMDG.)

Actually before doing that turn on missing texture alert - you may just be missing some GSX textures.

I think you're right the problem is with the GSX textures because when I got back to ESSA today the baggage loaders looked just fine and I know there are a number of different baggage loaders in GSX so my guess is some of them are corrupt or using textures that are not DX10 friendly.

Find it a bit strange though I never saw this before until now right after re-installing the NGX and starting to use the shadow options in DX10SF.

I tried re-installing the so called 'Standalone Addon Mangager' for FSDreamTeam products hoping that maybe would fix any missing/corrupt textures but to no avail unfortunately. I also posted about this problem over in their forum but haven't got any response yet.

From one thing to a completely different one, did you get your TrackIR 5 yet :smile: ?

Actually before doing that turn on missing texture alert - you may just be missing some GSX textures.

Do you know if there is any smart tool/utility I could use to scan for corrupt/missing textures?

Richard Åsberg

run dx10 toolbox, select fsx.cfg from top menu, tick missing texture alert at the bottom, run fsx. You will get a pop upwhenever a texture is loaded but missing. Repeat to turn it off

Ah, didn't get such a feature is included in the DX10 Toolbox.

That's great, I'll give it a try!

Richard Åsberg

its actually just a setting in fsx.cfg - but its an easy way to describe how to turn it on. With missing textures DX9 often displays nothing at all (i.e doesn't display the object) whereas DX10 displays it black so I wonder if the baggage handler texture is missing.

Looks like you were correct because when I added the ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 to fsx.cfg and started GSX at the same location where I had this problem earlier today (ESNQ) all these textures were reported as missing and once again I got the all black baggage loaders.

GSX_BODY_1.DDS
GSX_BODY_1_LM.DDS
GSX_HEAD_1.DDS
GSX_BAGGAGE.DDS
GSX_BAGGAGE_LM.DDS
RIFL1.DDS
GSX_SHADOW.DDS
GSX_LOGO_4X1.DDS

However when I start GSX at ESSA all is fine as seen below and I guess that's because some other baggage loaders are used at ESSA where the textures are not missing.

Normal%20GSX%20baggage%20loaders%20at%20

Here's my thread over at FSDreamTeam but still no reply.

Happy to report after re-installing a GSX vehicle update file it appears the problem is fixed as seen below :smile:

Normal%20GSX%20baggage%20loaders%20at%20

Richard Åsberg

Yep, already removed it.

Interesting enough the popup alerts I received for missing GSX textures were not the only ones. I also received popup alerts for lots of other missing textures right after I started FSX and even before loading a flight. Some of the alerts seemed to be related to textures belonging to the NGX. I found that weird since the NGX looks just fine.

Richard Åsberg

Yes with the previous version there is one about interior lighting and one about gauge15.

The dx9 handling of missing textures makes it possible to test and not see any issue in dx9

Often it's a texture in some library common to several airports, where the texture is then forgotten in one of the airports.

Whenever you buy a new scenery or aircraft it's worth testing with the alert on, and reporting any missing textures, in most cases it shouldn't be any great effort for the vendor to find them.

Yeah, IIRC one of the reported missing textures was for cabin light.

Not sure if I understand but in my case despite all the popups I got when starting FSX everything is looking fine and this is in DX10 mode.

Richard Åsberg