Sign in to follow this  
Alessandrov81

Will I74790K be bottlenecked by GPU R9 270X?

Greetings,

almost updated from Phenom II X4 955BE (@3,85GHZ) to I7 4790K, i hope i will be able to run P3D on sunday-monday.

I'm wondering if my new CPU will be bottlenecked by my actual GPU, which is ATI R9 270X. An important point is that using one monitor res 1650X1050 Broadly I do not think it will almost never, but I wanted to know your opinion.

With Phenom II my GPU load was around 15-30%, no spikes, artifacts, white flash with extreme CFG settings (SWAP TIMEOUT=1, TBM=300 etc) that was an easy play with my old CPU of course! But now she will finally have bread for her teeth...

Now I read on the forum that many use as a high end GPU GTX 970 and higher ... I believe that this is due to the fact that many are using multiple monitors and high resolutions. Using a 1650X1050 the R9 270X should be sufficient what do you think?

Other details:

ADDON

ORBX sceneries

REX 4 TD

probabily ASN

A2a aircrafts

thanks in advance

As long as your video card meets the minimum requirements as stated on the P3D product page - http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/ - you should be okay.  They require at least 1GB of memory and it appears your card has 2GB's.  It also has to be DirectX11 compatible and that may be the problem.  I cannot find anything on the AMD website that shows if it is DX11 compatible.  DX10 cards are not supported.  I just found one on sale and it states it is DX11.2 compatible.  So the card should be okay.  FSX/P3D are mostly CPU dependent but I understand more and more requirements are being placed on the GPU in P3D. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You should get a good improvement in performance moving to the 4790K even more so if you overclock it. FSX & P3D benefit more from NVidia cards so to answer your indirect question it would be worthwhile upgrading your graphics card as and when you are able to. Your 270X appears to be on par with a GTX660 in synthetic benchmarks but because its not NVidia would be behind this in FSX / P3D. Most would recommend a minimum of a GTX680 but preferably better to go with your 4790K and no this isn't for multi monitor use. I just moved from a GTX680 to a GTX780Ti and on my 1920x1200 monitor I got a better than expected improvement in performance and image quality (2700K @4.7GHx). So get the best card you can afford and keep an eye out for "refurbished" cards, my "refurbished" 780Ti was £200 and appears to be unused, performance wise it comes in just under the GTX980 at £450 so was an incredible bargain.

Hi to everyone,

just to say that the answer to this question is "NO" for future readers.

I oced I7 4790K to 4.7GHZ stable (i suggest Z97-P it seems really a great price/perfomance Mobo) and running P3dv2 with high settings CPU load is around 60%-70% GPU Load 30%-50%, 

Also i have tessellation=ultra AA 4X ansiotropic 16X FFTF=0.01 Bufferpools =0 and TBM=160 and no graphical issues.

Running ORBX sceneries i get 30FPS stable pretty everywhere, around 20 FPS in big cities.

Of course a titan would perfom better but it costs 8 times the R9 270X (150€) so i can suggest this ati GPU using 1 monitor setup.

For other ATI users:

set tessellation to ultra and in CCC tessellation to "use app. settings"

bye and tks to everyone