Sign in to follow this  
ozzieblr

B747-400X invisible external textures in DX9

I have been really enjoying the PMDG 747-400X and more recently the 747-8i and their freighter variants.  However I have a problem when using PMDG Boeing 747-400X in DX10 mode. 

1.  I am using two computers with the same software installations - a desktop computer and a laptop.  On my main computer I can use both the above aircraft without DX10, and they appear as expected and function perfectly.  However, as I do a lot of travel I have also installed FSX, PMDG aircraft and my favourite scenery on a laptop so that I can use it when away from home.  And that is where I am having problems.

2. I have invisible external aircraft textures with DX10 turned off ... PMDG 747-8i and all PMDG 777 models work just fine with or without DX10.  However, the 747-400X does not.  The exact same livery files as I have for the 747-400X on my main computer are not all being displayed as expected on the laptop in DX9 mode, despite FSX installation (Acceleration) and settings being the same.  Wheels, wings, engines, vertical stabiliser, cockpit and cabin textures are all displaying correctly, but the external textures are invisible (no skin to the fuselage). 

3. DX10 solves aircraft problems but creates airport problems ... if I turn DX10 on, all the aircraft textures display correctly but the I then have trouble with my scenery, some of which is not compatible with DX10.

4. Any suggestions?  I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions: is there anything I can do with the external aircraft textures to make them work without DX10?

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!