Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

2600K to 4790K or 5820K

Hello,

If I would consider changing my old 2600K to 4790K or 5820K, which one makes more sense for P3Dv2.5?

2600K is running at 4.6Ghz (it will do 4.8Ghz unstable, and 4.7Ghz relatively stable).

Custom water-cooling setup.

GPU: GTX980.

I'd expect to overclock the 5820K to 4.5Ghz and 4790K to 4.7Ghz.

The primary concern is to maximize the CPU-based performance, usually needed with addons like NGX and 777. The GTX980 does the job nicely in all aspects.

Also does anybody know what kind of performance-jump I'd expect at the same clock?

Thank you.

I have 4790k @ 4.6 very stable, 1.26V, with Corsair H110, max temp. 65C. 

4790K it's a beast.

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

To my opinion; the performance-jumps were moderate but at the end,the optimum configuration would result into maximum gain on FPS and generally performance.

I have a well configured system, just my CPU is at it's end. The idea is to get as much as possible from the single core. So a single threaded performance is what really counts to get as much FPS as possible. Quad-core as it is now, does the texture loading quite well.

The question is if 5820K has a better single threaded performance than 4790K, them being basically the same CPU, the 5xxx series being a refresh, as I understand it?

I don't think the 5820K will go much over 4.5, but if compared 1:1, who would win, and by how much? I tried comparing on the net, but didn't come really far.

Every single/dual core test I've seen favors the 4790K.  Here's a link to just one of many      http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/2579vs2384    .

The six-core CPU's are a real killer for multi-threaded apps but, if you believe the test results, for most simming work the 4790K may be just a bit better.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

OK, this test speaks for itself, thanks. Though, do consider that the base clock of 5820K is lower than 4790K. That might be the reason for such result.

But when comparing 2600K to 4790K, the problem is that you don't know it's clock for clock speed. It says 25% more, which is admirable, but 2600K is 3.4Ghz and 4790K is 4.0Ghz. If both were clocked to 4.5Ghz or 4.0Ghz, how does 4790K pan out?

In the end, the question is, if in some situations I have 20fps with the NGX out of an addon airport, can I expect 25fps with the 4790K? Can I expect more? The smoothness of the sim is even now given, that is least of my problems. I simply "see" slower framerate when it starts approaching 20fps. 30fps would be great, but I'm afraid it is not achievable.

That's really a tough call. My best instincts tell me that it's probably not worth the upgrade. I do know that the 4790K turbo will run to 4.4Ghz on the first core, 4.3Ghz on the second core and 4.2Ghz on the other two cores. I've had mine OC's at 4.7Ghz and honestly can't tell any difference with FSX/P3D vs. just letting it run turbo mode. Could you see 25 fps where you see 20 now? Probably not. And 30 fps is certainly out-of-reach.

On the other hand (there is always one of those), there are more than just a few water-cooled 4790K's running at 5.0-5.1Ghz. That might be a whole other story if you could get it that high.

My bottom line - given the cost of the motherboard swap, processor, et. al. I'd wait one more generation of CPU.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

That is also an option, yes. The question is what will really Skylake bring, if it will have higher single core performance. It is understandable that Intel concentrates on other aspects of the CPU, like multi-threading, more cores and other "features", which are not used by FSX/P3D programming.

I have a 2500k running at 4.4 ghz. Is it work upgrading the cpu and motherboard or am I going to only get marginal improvement?

If will wait for next generation if that is the case, or Lockheed marten to improve the legacy FSX code.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I assembled I7 4790K on Mobo ASUS Z97-P this sunday (total 445€ on amazon).

OCed to 4.7GHZ at 1,25V aircooled.. stable!

The mobo seems wonderful for its value (less than 100€!)

The CPU rocks!!!

With the proper tweaks and not bottlenecked by a slow GPU (i use ATI R9 270X with good results, so yours is more than enough) you can get 30FPS with high settings (not maxed of course)  pretty everywhere also in most parts of ORBX sceneries (ex. metropolies where i get 20-25 fps).

Si i vote for I7 4790K i think is the top, price wise.

EDIT: BUT you have already a decent CPU, looking now at benchmarks... there is a diffence but i don't know if i would spend 500$ for that... Also i don't think anyone is able to get 30FPS stable at busy / payware airports...

maybe the best advice is to wait nex gen.but if you have money to spare why not I/ 4790K is great.

Is the 2011-v3 structure on these newer X99 boards the way of the future?  I'm considering the same thing for this summer, and the cost difference between the older DDR3 and the newer DDR4 memory isn't that much, nor is the price difference between the 5820 and the 4790.  I guess part of my thought is if they move Prepar3d to 64Bit structure sometime this year, which way will be better to move towards?  A newer chipset and a CPU with more cores, or a proven powerhouse on a more mature chipset?

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I have 4790k @ 4.6 very stable, 1.26V, with Corsair H110, max temp. 65C. 

4790K it's a beast.

Max. temp 65C with p3d v2.5 is cold...

I have 4790k @ 4.4 and when I use p3d v2.5 my core temp reach almost 99C with H100i.

when I use X Plane 10 my temp max. is 70C.

I think that I will change my water cooler for H100i to H110.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I have 4790k @ 4.4 and when I use p3d v2.5 my core temp reach almost 99C with H100i.

You should be no where near those temps, I'm not hitting that at 4.8.

Before you buy a new cooler I would change the thermal paste. just a very small grain of rice vertically will do.

Don't forget to clean both the cpu and cooler first with alcohol.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I assembled I7 4790K on Mobo ASUS Z97-P this sunday (total 445€ on amazon).

OCed to 4.7GHZ at 1,25V aircooled.. stable!

The mobo seems wonderful for its value (less than 100€!)

The CPU rocks!!!

With the proper tweaks and not bottlenecked by a slow GPU (i use ATI R9 270X with good results, so yours is more than enough) you can get 30FPS with high settings (not maxed of course)  pretty everywhere also in most parts of ORBX sceneries (ex. metropolies where i get 20-25 fps).

Si i vote for I7 4790K i think is the top, price wise.

EDIT: BUT you have already a decent CPU, looking now at benchmarks... there is a diffence but i don't know if i would spend 500$ for that... Also i don't think anyone is able to get 30FPS stable at busy / payware airports...

maybe the best advice is to wait nex gen.but if you have money to spare why not I/ 4790K is great.

I think I am going to wait. I don't use a virtual cockpit (using an avionics suite), and I am already getting between 20-30 FPS at Orbx airports. 

To tell you the truth, I believe our computers are more than efficient for a flight simulator; LM just needs to do some hacking around with that legacy code. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I have a 4790k sitting on my desk  :mad: 2 rma's on my MSI mobo both dead on arrival. Decided to go back to goood ole gigabyte, just got to wait it out.