Sign in to follow this  
FleaJump

Encountering Problems Setting Up FSX Communication with Sim Starter

Hello Capt. Pero and many thanks for the kindness of permitting us to try out a fully functional version of this product.  I am writing because I have so far been unable to start FSX via the "Jumpstart" tab.  

Following the instructions in your tutorial Youtube video,as well as the printed manual, I was able to create nine scenery sets, by un-checking the relevant boxes to disable all scenery products not geographically close to the area of my intended flights.    

Having created those scenery sets I clicked on the "Jumpstart" button to try and access one of my saved FSX flights, but the Jumpstart menu page would only permit me to select the scenery sets to be used for the start profile, but not permit me to access a saved flight, by indicating the error message stating "No default flight found".

In the jumpStart menu, I have been able to set the Scenery Mode dialog box to "Sim Starter Scenery Set" , and then to select the scenery set covering the area of my intended saved flight, BUT, everything else below that point on the Jumpstart menu is greyed out, such that I cannot start FSX and thus cannot access a saved flight via Sim Starter.

Thinking that I might need to start up FSX before starting Sim Starter, I did so, but was unable to get any aspect of Sim Starter to work within FSX, despite searching inside FSX/s various menus, for a mention of SimStarter.  

I suspect that my problem has something to do with the configuration carried out in the Start Manager or Profile Manager of Sim Starter, but I honestly haven't a clue where and how to go about inputting the appropriate settings to get SimStarter to work on my system.  Any assistance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and once again, thank you so much for creating this FSX optimizer, which I am determined to get working, despite my limited computer navigating experience. 

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Hi Tony,

thank you for your feedback.

If "Jumpstart" says "no saved flights found" could be caused by a wrong setting of your folders.

Go to:

Settings > Program settings > FSX/FSX-SE tab

Check "Flight Simulator X files" folder. Maybe that one do not contain any saved flight?

Just open the windows explorer and walk to that folder to check if there are saved flights.

Okay? Hope that helps.

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Thanks for the fast reply, Capt.Pero.  I will give this idea a try and report back here over the next couple of days.

Much thanks for the information about accessing my saved flights Capt. Pero.   I was able to access my saved flights, and when I checked the scenery file listing, I noted that Sim Starter did in fact select only the scenery for the area of my saved flight, as I specified in the Scenery Manager of SimStarter.

By de-selecting those addon scenery areas outside of the UK, where I saved a flight over London, for which I installed the excellent Aerosoft scenery for FSX, I expected to see an increase in frame rates, making for a smoother picture than before, as I flew the standard FSX R22 helicopter over the city of London.  What I observed, however, was a LOWER frame rate than before I used Sim Starter, with a picture that stutters badly at about 11 frames per second, down from the average of  15 frames per second that I was getting before I installed Sim Starter.

Intuitively, I expected better FSX performance, and HIGHER frame rates than before I installed SimStarter, and used it to turn off scenery outside of the UK, and this is why I am baffled to see worse FSX performance on my flight over London city, using Aerosoft London scenery.    All the scenery sliders are set to the far right of the scale in FSX, and I was wondering if there are any specific sliders that I need to move back to the LEFT, so as to get higher frames per second when use Sim Starter.

I did read some really good reviews from other users of Sim Starter, which encouraged me to download and try the product, so now I am hoping that somewhere in my FSX scenery resolution settings is hidden the one slider change that needs to be made before I can enjoy the full potential of Sim Starter.   Any advice that you can offer in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"[...] I did read some really good reviews from other users of Sim Starter, which encouraged me to download and try the product, so now I am hoping that somewhere in my FSX scenery resolution settings is hidden the one slider change that needs to be made before I can enjoy the full potential of Sim Starter.   Any advice that you can offer in this regard would be much appreciated. [...]"

Hi Tony,

ooops, that sounds a bit strange. You would be the first of more that thousends of SIMstarter users which ever reported a drop of performance. But never the less SIMstarter is "only a small configuration editor". The results are depending on your settings. SIMstarter makes no changes that have not been set by the user.

Maybe you disabled parts that are needed for the scenery? I can't support any tweaking issue (because I only developing SIMstarter) but please send me all files in ".\Userprofiles" as a ZIP file. You'll find my email adress in SIMstarter > About.

Would be great if we could make you a "happy SIMstarter user too"... ;O)

I will do this before the end of the day today, Capt Pero.  In creating my scenery profiles in Sim Starter,  I was quite ruthless in un-checking all scenery listings that I thought were not related to the areas geographically close to the location of  my saved flights, but I might have gone overboard and de-selected some aspects of the scenery list that should have been left active.

I will try and send my Sim Starter User-files to you , but I must confess that I have no idea how to convert them to Zip files, though I will now look up that topic now.

Thanks again for the quick reply.  With the number of users you mentioned as having seen improvements with Sim Starter running, I suspect I may have done something fundamentally wrong here, and I will be glad for any corrections that you can offer after looking overt the files I email to you shortly.

Sure, I am waiting on your response.

To ZIP a folder:

Any news?

Apologies for my delay in responding, Capt Pero.  I got sidetracked with various things going on here, but definitely over the next couple of days, I will send the requested files so that you can be able to offer advice about the correct settings needed to get the improved FSX rates that other SimStarter users have been seeing.

I really appreciate your offer of help, and I am certain that I made a fundamental error that will be evident once you get the files to see the FSX configurations I have set with my copy of Sim Starter.  My computer skills are very poor, I must admit,  and this is why I need to devote more time to carefully following the instructions in the video clip that you have been kind enough to post here.  

Hello Peter, please may I request your customer questions email address here in this forum, if this can be possible.  I checked the Sim Starter program and did not find the button labelled "About" , in order to find the email address, and I also checked your website, where there is also a reference to the "About" button, which I haven't located as yet.

I hope to send my files by email today, but again my very poor computer know-how is getting in the way, with the result that I am having to request the email address that I am sure is already right under my nose.  

Much thanks in anticipation.

I send you via personal message. ;O)

Much thanks Peter.  I have emailed to you the contents of my Sim Starter Log Book, in the meantime while I continue looking for a file folder with the suffix "User Profiles, which if have not located in FSX or in Sim Starter just yet.   I am hoping that the Log Book record of my scenery groupings might shed some light on any mistakes I have made here.

Much thanks again for your help with my very basic questions.

Sorry for my late reply. We should have a short Skype call. But its easter - I contact you soon this week. ;O)

Thanks for the reply Peter.  I am optimistic that my difficulties with this program will be resolved, and I will fell slightly foolish for missing something obvious in my setup.