Sign in to follow this  
CrazyNorman

FlyInside FSX -- Oculus Rift DK2 Support for MS FSX

Hello All,

I've been working on a project called FlyInside FSX.  It adds Oculus Rift DK2 support to Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing you to feel as if you are sitting inside the cockpit of your airplane.  My goal with this software isn't just to have a cool experience for casual simmers (although it certainly is a cool experience for them), I'm also trying to make it possible to conduct complicated flights inside intricate aircraft, without having to take off your headset.

To further these goals, I've made it so that you can place any window from your system inside the virtual cockpit around you.  Just as a real pilot can spread out a sectional chart in his cockpit, you can open up SkyVector, and place it next to you in the co-pilot's chair.  Here's my most recent demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZj0PUDC--8

If you'd like to sign up for beta testing or read more about it, check out my development blog:  http://flyinside-fsx.com/

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing all of your thoughts and use cases.  I have plans to address the "low resolution of the DK2" problem which you'll see in future videos.

I thought OR required 60fps or 30 per "eye"? If that is the case how are we ever going to pull that off?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

It's actually worse than that, it requires 75fps, and that's 75 fps total, every eye refreshing 75 times per second.  That said, I'm able to achieve 90fps running with my settings turned up pretty high.  When FPS drops a few frames (loading scenery and what-not) I fill in the missing frames using timewarp so that you don't feel it.

O thats neat!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi CrazyNorman, When do you expect to put out the beta for testing. I'm so excited about your software. Fsx is one of the reason I got the DK2 in the first place. I have filled in your requesting beta testers form from on you website.

Thank you for your hard work and really looking forward to your software.

bumping this up.

In the meantime he launched the Kickstarter Campaign, 20 Days to go!

Thanks Dan, you are really the VR Flightsim Wizard these days.

And dont forget, Vive Support (i still hope they somehow send you a devkit) and have a look at Prepar3d as well ;)

Guys, Support this awesome Project!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1232710074/flyinside-fsx

Looks the same as using TrackIR 5 to me.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Because you are looking at it from your monitor. With the headset on it is amazing, nothing like TrackIR5.

We are talking about a Head Mounted Display here.

It is the perfect fit for Simulators.

There are several Racing Sims that support HMD`s and trust me it is unbelievable.

If the implementation is good this tricks the brain to believe you are really sitting in a car.

This is called presence or immersion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_(virtual_reality)

Just take a look at this and you get a glimpse what this all is about.

now this technology is arriving for flightsims and Dan is working hard to code a perfect implementation.

He already proved with prepar3d that he is very talented -> http://www.dcoc-vr.com/

You cannot compare this with TrackIR5

i just realized that the same guy did a video with a Flyinside Alpha build as well :)

The video's I've seen with Elite: Dangerous are outstanding, there is a video out there where the man playing actually cries, it looks that good. I've also seen Asseto Corsa played on it and that looks good too. The GTA video really stood out for me though. So,  I think flight sims will be an amazing use.

One thing I've noticed from watching quite a few Rift videos on youtube is most people have the same thing to say; a sense of scale. So many different people stated they felt they could really tell how big or small something is. And while this gives jaw-dropping graphics in something like Elite, in a flight sim I feel this could be very useful for approaches and landings in making it easier to judge heights, distance and possibly speed.

Very, VERY interesting.... I do wonder however what kind of rig you need to pull this off at 75fps..... I'd be happy to have a setup that could maintain half that utilizing OrbX, PMDG, ASN, etc....

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Very, VERY interesting.... I do wonder however what kind of rig you need to pull this off at 75fps..... I'd be happy to have a setup that could maintain half that utilizing OrbX, PMDG, ASN, etc....

you are right, low framerates and stutter kills the experience.

BUT, Dan managed with his last project to make it usable with low framerates.

He called it Asynchronous Timewarp to maintain smooth immersive feeling if you can achieve stable 30fps.

It really worked, i tested it with a Rift DK2 some months ago.

I have no idea if there is another approach in Flyinside.

We are talking about a Head Mounted Display here.

It is the perfect fit for Simulators.

There are several Racing Sims that support HMD`s and trust me it is unbelievable.

If the implementation is good this tricks the brain to believe you are really sitting in a car.

This is called presence or immersion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_(virtual_reality)

Just take a look at this and you get a glimpse what this all is about.

now this technology is arriving for flightsims and Dan is working hard to code a perfect implementation.

He already proved with prepar3d that he is very talented -> http://www.dcoc-vr.com/

You cannot compare this with TrackIR5

He says it's unbelievable, probably as he's beta testing it and got one for free! The price is something else and is not within reach of everyone. As for flight simulator, are you supposed to fumble for your hardware throttles?

Lastly, he complains about fps but if you can't run LFS then he must have a crap computer as anyone can run that game.

I'm still not convinced that flight sim as we know it would be worth the cost of converting.

Dave Taylor gb.png