Sign in to follow this  
vr-pilot

No WXR on ND in APP ARC mode?

Hello,

just a little question about the display of WXR echoes:

On the ND the WXR echoes disappear when the ND mode is set from MAP to APP via the EFIS control panel.

I think there should be echoes in APP ARC mode, not in CTR mode though. (In the T7 there are WXR echoes in APP ARC.)

Is there a reason for this?

Greetings,

Claus

So is it a bug or a feature? :blink:

(The use of the APP display (in ARC mode) on the ND is more of a standard procedure (when using LOC/GS) than having the MAP on the ND until touchdown with e.g. range selected on 5NM...)

So why are there no precipitation echoes on the ND when using APP (ARC) mode with WXR on?

You've found an anomaly! Well done! You should apply for a beta tester position ;)

It should work in expanded approach, vor, map and centred map modes (FCOMv2 10.40.10).

The ND mode selection and range is left to pilot discretion for the ILS approach (unless otherwise directed in company manuals). Although, FCTM 5.17 says "Use the map display to maintain awareness of distance to go to the final approach fix.". So, it's MAP display (presumably expanded map) up to at least the FAF. From there, it's up to you.

I leave the ND in expanded map with a range of 5nm or less for ILS approaches in-case I need it for lateral guidance for a go-around.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

You've found an anomaly! Well done! You should apply for a beta tester position ;)
It should work in expanded approach, vor, map and centred map modes (FCOMv2 10.40.10).
The ND mode selection and range is left to pilot discretion for the ILS approach (unless otherwise directed in company manuals). Although, FCTM 5.17 says "Use the map display to maintain awareness of distance to go to the final approach fix.". So, it's MAP display (presumably expanded map) up to at least the FAF. From there, it's up to you.
I leave the ND in expanded map with a range of 5nm or less for ILS approaches in-case I need it for lateral guidance for a go-around.

Thanks for checking the FCOMv2! Also intersting: the FCTM 5.17 "workflow" you mention... B)

I prefer the APP mode for the ND at least between LOC and G/S interception. And here "auto annunciating" TCAS and wind shear warnings beside "manual selected" WXR echoes are a good/safe combination for the approach phase.

IMO now it would be time for PMDG to step in here to present their standpoint?

At least they should probably incorporate it in "NGX v2" (among DataLink and RTA functionality... ).

Off the top of my head I don't think it works in APP mode. I say this with a bit of hesitation because we never use app mode. You should always have WINDSHEAR alerting no matter what mode though.

Jack Colwill

Just took a look at my Boeing vol 2 and you do not get weather radar returns in the app or vor modes

Just took a look at my Boeing vol 2 and you do not get weather radar returns in the app or vor modes

Interesting...

The "NGX" FCOMv2 provided by Boeing/PMDG (dated May 15, 2008) shows in a graphic table on 10.40.10 under "Navigation Display Symbology" that the "Weather radar returns" will be displayed in MAP, MAP CTR, VOR and APP modes.

(additionally quote 10.40.2)

"Weather radar information can be displayed on the navigation display when in MAP, Center MAP, APP and VOR modes."

(quote end).

Boeing seems to refer to the ARC mode (Airbus term actually IIRC) in general as long as CTR mode is not mentioned expressively. So there will be no WXR echoes displayed in CTR APP and CTR VOR modes (which is the same as in the T7 BTW).

which is the same as in the T7 BTW

Correct. This is modeled correctly in the 777. We have it in the tracker to evaluate in a future service pack.

Kyle Rodgers

The ND mode selection and range is left to pilot discretion for the ILS approach (unless otherwise directed in company manuals). Although, FCTM 5.17 says "Use the map display to maintain awareness of distance to go to the final approach fix.". So, it's MAP display (presumably expanded map) up to at least the FAF. From there, it's up to you.

I leave the ND in expanded map with a range of 5nm or less for ILS approaches in-case I need it for lateral guidance for a go-around.

Brian Nellis

Here is what the Boeing Vol 2 says

Capture.png

Quote "weather radar and TCAS are not displayed in center APP mode" end quote.

Quote "weather radar and TCAS are not displayed in center VOR mode" end quote.

Emphasis on CENTER APP and CENTER VOR.

Here is my statement... "It should work in expanded approach, vor, map and centred map modes (FCOMv2 10.40.10)."

Emphasis on EXPANDED and APPROACH, VOR.

To elaborate, you get WXR returns in:

- Expanded APP mode

- Expanded VOR mode

- Expanded MAP mode

- Centred MAP mode

Your statement "Just took a look at my Boeing vol 2 and you do not get weather radar returns in the app or vor modes" is incorrect/incomplete.

Brian Nellis

Ps. Doesn't matter. PMDG/Kyle have it logged. This should've been your first clue to re-check your statement.

Brian Nellis