Sign in to follow this  
mjl1966

Why is J41 totally out of service

Every time I go to Flightaware and look up JS41 in the flight tracker, zero flights show up.  I think I remember seeing one - just one - a while back.  People are still flying DC-3s, but not the Jetstream.

Any idea why this is?

Mike Lawrence

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.

Eastern Airways in North East England are flying it. Their fleet seems to include 17 JS41s.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Most of the fleet is still in service, but not in North America:

• Eastern Airways of the UK are the largest operator with about 17 frames
  • EasyFly in Columbia have 12
  • South African Airlink have 8
  • Yeti of Nepal have 7

That covers nearly half of all frames produced, but you will note most are in areas FlightAware does not cover.

The so-called regional jet revolution pushed most 30 seat turboprops out of the USA; you will find Saab 340, Do328 and ATR42 are scarce there too. EMB120 Brasilia is probably the only one left in any significant numbers.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Yeah, Eastern Airways J41s buzz over my head regularly from Humberside Airport to Aberdeen so very much still operating.

Paul Hermon

Yeah, Eastern Airways J41s buzz over my head regularly from Humberside Airport to Aberdeen so very much still operating.

Paul Hermon

I have heard that the Eastern Airways boss was even thinking of resurrecting the now defunct J41 production line somewhere in Yorkshire, so popular and reliable the aircraft has proved to be in passenger service.

Paul Hermon

I have heard that the Eastern Airways boss was even thinking of resurrecting the now defunct J41 production line somewhere in Yorkshire

Does the production tooling still exist? Without that it will be very expensive to restart production. It'd be nice but I can't see it happening because there isn't much of a market for new 30 seat turboprops.

There are loads of Saab 340s sat in the desert available very cheaply and most 30 seat operators can't afford new aircraft anyway. As much as I love the J41, it's cramped and noisy inside (ANR was optional but almost no one specified it) with limited storage, and underpowered. It's main virtue is being cheap to run and rugged.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Does the production tooling still exist? Without that it will be very expensive to restart production. It'd be nice but I can't see it happening because there isn't much of a market for new 30 seat turboprops.

There are loads of Saab 340s sat in the desert available very cheaply and most 30 seat operators can't afford new aircraft anyway. As much as I love the J41, it's cramped and noisy inside (ANR was optional but almost no one specified it) with limited storage, and underpowered. It's main virtue is being cheap to run and rugged.

I agree that the costs of new tooling seem prohibitive, particularly since the initial proposal was merely to serve Eaatern Airways' interests rather than a serious attempt at selling more airframes. All such proposals have largely been ditched for the time being, as I understand it.

Paul Hermon

Eastern Airways in North East England are flying it. Their fleet seems to include 17 JS41s.

Correct, the JS41 may be out of service in the US, but here in Northern England, Eastern Airways have 17 JS41s that are fit and well! :smile:     .... I live a couple of miles from EGNT and these Jetstreams are taking off all through the day.

Check their route map out for details of their flights.  Most can be simulated with UK2000 Xtreme Airports (+ Aerosoft Bergen and Stavanger, Norway) :-

http://www.easternairways.com/map

Also, there's a small operator based in the Greek island of Crete that flies to some of the other, smaller Greek Isles, that operates two JS41s.    It's name escapes me but there is a repaint for it in the AVSIM File Library because I've simulated many of their flights before.

Cheers.

Sky Express of greece is still operating the aircraft.

[EDIT:]  That's the one!!

Sometimes airline companies request FlightAware not to post their flight plans, so it becomes a matter of privacy. That doesn't mean they didn't filed a flight plan, it just not available for public viewing.