Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Not possible to restart failed engine in flight

HI, I am using Emergency FS2Crew and training on engine V1 or Vr failure. I noted that whenever the engines fail, there is no way to restart them in flight, no N1/N2 rotation, so it's not possible to restart them either in windmill or crossbleed. Is this a feature that is missing in the simulation?  

James Goggi

Maybe it depends on the type of failure. If there's no N1, don't bother trying.

Matt Cee

The only possible failures that can be set through the CDU are V1 or Vr cut or severe damage, but in both cases N1 remains 0.00 forever after the failure.

James Goggi

Hi,

you'vr a seized engine (the wrost scenario) so naturally you cannot restart it ..welcome to real world training scenario! A good chance to learn the one engine out approach and manual landing (keep in your mind max flaps = 15 during manual landing) about 4 units of rudder trim on "live" engine side...70-74% N1 to keep Vref15+5-Vref15+10..not too bad..remember to:

- open fuel crossfeed and mantain (by switching off your fuel pumps of higher fuel  level side..but keep all pumps on during final stage);

- switch on your APU and APU gen on affected side...

- switch off packs of affected side..

If in cruise set driftdown speed in your CDU (left or right engine out page)

- Remember to switch off configuration warning (15 flaps is an abnormal landing configuration)

Read your QRH (I used my memory)

P.S.

A secret: ..using a "fail operational" configuration you can perform (after having set your APU generator) a single engine autoland using flaps 30...only bad thing you can't reinsert your autothrottle (in real life you can)

(see page 208 FCTM)

Best

Andrea

Andrea,

And also .... if high, descend to best altitude for restart with APU?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi,

Yes butI was considering a seized engine case so no chance to get it restarted..

Anyway ny talking about the most general case the crossbleed vs starter assisted airspeed altitude graph is reported in the qrh (it tells you if at your airspeed/altitude you can have a windmilling restart or you need your starter) anyway keep in your mind that

If I well remember Apu can deliver bleed air till 17000 ft

Best

Andrea

Andrea, I tried about 30 times and I NEVER got any N1 or N2 rotation. I used the VR CUT or V2 CUT failure. What I would like to know is if an engine inflight restart possibility is simulated in the NGX or not, it looks like NOT. By the way, if after having the failure I look at the CDU failures page, each time "ENGINE SEVERE DAMAGE" is reported active, even if I did NOT choose ENGINE SEVERE DAMAGE but VR CUT.  

James Goggi

open fuel crossfeed and mantain (by switching off your fuel pumps of higher fuel level side..but keep all pumps on during final stage);

You want to turn off the pumps on the low side.  Switching off the pumps on the side with more fuel will make the imbalance worse by feeding from the low side.

Andrea, I tried about 30 times and I NEVER got any N1 or N2 rotation. I used the VR CUT or V2 CUT failure. What I would like to know is if an engine inflight restart possibility is simulated in the NGX or not, it looks like NOT. By the way, if after having the failure I look at the CDU failures page, each time "ENGINE SEVERE DAMAGE" is reported active, even if I did NOT choose ENGINE SEVERE DAMAGE but VR CUT.  

It fails the engine by making the severe damage active.  Did you try to clear the severe damage failure and then attempt a restart?

Hi,

Oh sorry I've made a mistake..I invrerted my reply about fuel pumps..naturally I leaned switching off the lower ones..shame on me!

I do my apologizes, I was writing too fast 'cause I'm in a palasport where basket match is to begin...

Thanks Joe!

Best

Andrea..

It fails the engine by making the severe damage active.  Did you try to clear the severe damage failure and then attempt a restart?

I tried twice: the first time nothing happened. The second time I got N1/N2 rotation and, after some time, the engine spooled up to normal values by itself.  Both cases are nonsense, the first one because if it had succeeded, in the real plane you don't clear the failure through the FAILURES menu on the CDU. The second one because it doesn't allow to perform a crossbleed or windmill inflight start....

James Goggi

Both cases are nonsense, the first one because if it had succeeded, in the real plane you don't clear the failure through the FAILURES menu on the CDU.

In the real plane you don't fail the engines via the CDU either.

In the real plane you don't fail the engines via the CDU either.

What you are saying is nonsense, you need to program a failure some way in the simulator...

I am disappointed that PMDG did not simulate the windmill or crossbleed engine restart. That's even worse in the 777, where you get an amber message with the altitude and the related speed range for the restart, but what's its use if you can't do a restart?

James Goggi

What you are saying is nonsense, you need to program a failure some way in the simulator...

I am disappointed that PMDG did not simulate the windmill or crossbleed engine restart. That's even worse in the 777, where you get an amber message with the altitude and the related speed range for the restart, but what's its use if you can't do a restart?

James,

It seems you're not fully following what's being said here. If you fail the engine such that the core is completely locked, then there's nothing you're going to do to get that engine going again (and, honestly, you wouldn't want to). That's what the Severe Damage option is all about. Additionally, a V1/VR/V2 cut is just going to re-light again (since you're taking off in CONT mode) if the type of failure is the type where it could be re-lit, so the type of failure here is a failure you're going to actually have to handle (and not let the automagic fix it for you).

The failure you're looking for to be able to re-start the engine via windmilling or crossbleed start is the Flame-Out option.

Kyle Rodgers

If you fail the engine such that the core is completely locked, then there's nothing you're going to do to get that engine going again (and, honestly, you wouldn't want to). That's what the Severe Damage option is all about. Additionally, a V1/VR/V2 cut is just going to re-light again (since you're taking off in CONT mode) 

Hi,

As Kyle has very well explained in this case you've no chanche to relight your engine and you've to learn about one engine flight, approach and landing..this is an important part of pilot training program in real life...

You've to learn if an engine failure is recoverable (if the engine is spinning etc.) or you've a severe engine damage (i.e. seizure or also an engine fire, you know after using egnine fire extinguish agent you cannot relight your engine also if it's spinning).

A good chanche to learn about single engine approach and landing technique..a really interesting matter..and after having learned that you should also experiment a single engine go around a very demanding task...

Best

Andrea Buono