Sign in to follow this  
Guest LinsoN

asking real people and pilot about experience... vibration during takeoff...

Guest LinsoN

I was flying from lhx to hawaii to philippines... it was a Philippine Airline (PAL)There was a problem regarding the 747's cargo door wont open... It was announce to us by the cabin crew regarding the problem, well... I was kinna worried because what if the cargo door suddenly open during the flight... well, after an hour or so, the maintenance of lhx cant open the cargo door, telling us that they would just have to leave it as is, and let the philippines maintainance crew do the repair... well, It was weird but there is nothing I could do... anyway...During the initial taxi all was fine, until the take off... The plane was kinna swayying during the takeoff.. maybe the wind, but the problem was during the initial climb, After just the takeoff (after the wheel leave the ground) A medium vibration can be heard from the front to the back of the plane... I was just like hearing a car passing you (but only vibration) it kinna sound like... groog groog groog... started in the front and then passing thru me... and going to the back... I went for atleast 3 to 5 minutes... or I think until the flaps was retracted... I was horrable experience... Because during that time, the plane bank off to the right for i think 10 to 15 degrees.... I thought the plane was going down!!!... This happened twice during the takeoff in LHX and HAWAII... because we have to stop over in hawaii for a checkup... If there is any pilot experience such vibration... please enlighten me to what was happening during that time and why is it Im hearing a vibration... tHanks

Sometimes, when the a/c is on initial rotation and not above the stall speed by much, the wings will vibrate on a heavy jet as the angle of attack changes. This usually disappears very quickly after rotation.Bruce.

Guest LinsoN

whatis a/c? also... is that dangerous? as you said, its below the stalling speed... omg!

Guest Philip Olson

Are you sure that it was not the engines that were causing the vibration? I remember many times on a 747 that there was a "vibration" that came in waves, very steady in their frequency, that seemed to pass through the plane but I am sure that they were caused by the engines. It is not any kind of problem with the engines, just the way they normally operate during the climb out. I seem to want to relate this to Rolls Royce engines but I may be wrong since it has been awhile since I have flown a 747. I really would not worry about it since from my experience it seems to be normal.Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest LinsoN

>Are you sure that it was not the engines that were causing>the vibration? I remember many times on a 747 that there was a>"vibration" that came in waves, very steady in their>frequency, that seemed to pass through the plane but I am sure>that they were caused by the engines. It is not any kind of>problem with the engines, just the way they normally operate>during the climb out. I seem to want to relate this to Rolls>Royce engines but I may be wrong since it has been awhile>since I have flown a 747. I really would not worry about it>since from my experience it seems to be normal.>>Philip Olson>>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgIts a vibration that seemed to pass the pass... you can hear a vibration passing you thru the wall,... seems like your in a tunnel with vibration passing thru u... it was my second time to ride a 747... it doesnt happen in 737 which i usually ride... it was a vibration seemed passing thru the plane...

Guest ba747heavy

I highly doubt that the flight crew would have continued the flight if the vibrations were a problem. Probably no telling what that vibration really was, so fuggidhaboutit :-hah

Guest LinsoN

>I highly doubt that the flight crew would have continued the>flight if the vibrations were a problem. Probably no telling>what that vibration really was, so fuggidhaboutit :-hahhmm, that could be one? but how would the crew stop it, when the vibration starts after takeoff? hmm, seems to be a very bad situation when that happen...

Guest ba747heavy

>hmm, that could be one? but how would the crew stop it, when>the vibration starts after takeoff? They would turn the plane around and land if it was a major problem, not continue the flight.

Guest LinsoN

>>hmm, that could be one? but how would the crew stop it,>when>>the vibration starts after takeoff? >>They would turn the plane around and land if it was a major>problem, not continue the flight.hmm, yah.. but what I was saying is that... what if the vibration is so bad, that the plane may never turn, or even yet.. stall.... anyway... I might keep on thinking about those thing during the takeoff... and up until now, there is no one who could even tell what was the reason of the vibration... is it because the plane is so heavy? or the winds?

Guest AndrewMcGregor

Well, I have flown on 747s many, many times, and some models just do this. I believe it's one type of engine, perhaps one of the GE types, that tends to vibrate very loudly during climbout. Nothing to worry about. Sometimes 747s shudder a lot during a takeoff near max weight too, and any flight leaving Hawaii is going to be heavy.I bet they only turned back to make sure the shuddering wasn't going to open that door, rather than from any concern about the shuddering itself.

Guest LinsoN

>Well, I have flown on 747s many, many times, and some models>just do this. I believe it's one type of engine, perhaps one>of the GE types, that tends to vibrate very loudly during>climbout. Nothing to worry about. Sometimes 747s shudder a>lot during a takeoff near max weight too, and any flight>leaving Hawaii is going to be heavy.>>I bet they only turned back to make sure the shuddering wasn't>going to open that door, rather than from any concern about>the shuddering itself.I see.. thanks for the information... I thought it was a problem during climbout, it was waves of vibrations... also, I think the plane was at max weight because Its an international flight from LA, to Hawaii to philippines... they fly to hawaii for refueling i think..

Guest Jacobus

A couple of things.I have flown with Philippine airlines on many occasions and their 747's are mainly 747-200, the older type.It sounds to me that there was a possible crosswind, maybe slightly gusting or variable. This could explain the swaying

Guest LinsoN

>A couple of things.>I have flown with Philippine airlines on many occasions and>their 747's are mainly 747-200, the older type.>It sounds to me that there was a possible crosswind, maybe>slightly gusting or variable. This could explain the swaying