Sign in to follow this  
mbunjes

momentary pushbuttons issue

Hi,

I've successfully mapped the EFIS WXR, ARPT, DATA etc. buttons on my home build EFIS  for the PMDG NGX. They work but I have to be extremely careful how long I press a button. A millisecond too long and the function won't change,or maybe changes back again to it's original state as if the command keeps being send when I keep it pressed.

Toggle switches work fine.

Is it LINDA or maybe the cheapo interface card I'm using ?

Martin

Is it LINDA or maybe the cheapo interface card I'm using ?

Hi Martin

I think you have hit a well known problem with HMI design of button bounce.  The interface has to distinguish between an intentional release of a button and a momentary bounce. It is FSUIPC that handles your cockpit button presses and passes these to LINDA for action. 

It is likely that your interface is detecting/reporting multiple presses.  LINDA will detect between single and repeat presses. If the button is held down continuously it will be seen as a repeated press. If there is a gap in presses they will be seen as separate presses.

On way to handle you problem is to avoid toggles and use on / off operations. You could try copying the functions to the users.lua file and rewrite them to deal with the repeating output with a time delay. Any such functions will replace those LINDA uses.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I deleted some push buttons in LINDA and remapped them using just FSUIPC and they worked fine so it's probably in the LUA file ?

I can do that for the EFIS buttons as well of course but that would indeed mean avoiding push buttons altogether. (You said toggles but you probably meant push buttons).

I would have to look into rewriting LUA files, don't know anything about it.

Martin

You said toggles but you probably meant push buttons

Hi Martin

I was referring to the various LINDA functions which toggle the switches from on to off and vice versa. These normally test the state of a switch and reverse its selection by calling the appropriate ON and OFF functions.

I would refer the hardware lever switch as a Switch and not call it a Toggle.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew