Sign in to follow this  
ankh21

New contrails FSX with DX10

Hey guys,

thank you so much for the latest update, 1.3.0 ! The effects are really awesome. As some may have noticed, i am using FSX in DX10 mode with Steve's DX10 Scenery fixer.

As it is written on the PrecipitFX homepage, all effects need conversion with the fixer software to show up properly in DX10. In the past, the contrails then had a very huge impact on performance on some systems.

The new contrails are longer and do not decrease performance as much as the version before, but only if you leave it UNconverted. So as a result, there is some flickering and under certain viewing angles, the contrails of the right or left side are not visible. If you choose to convert them via unticking "Exclude particle effects" in the fixer software, the result will be very dense, white, somehow "glowy" contrails with a significant drop in frame rates. Is it just my system or can someone confirm my findings?

Apart from these findings under the very special conditions of FSX in DX10, the effects are a great gain for FSX!! Keep on going with your work!

Matthias

I have noticed the same thing, unticked "Exclude particle effects" in the fixer software. Using FSX SE.  Dense, white glowy contrails, and drop in frame rates with the 737ngx. However it doesn't effect the 777 imerssion, just the Precipit FX.

On the other hand, in P3D, i have an issue with the contrails on the 777, instead of those beautiful contrails and high altitude wing condensation I have white bars covering the contrail.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

If you choose to convert them via unticking "Exclude particle effects" in the fixer software, the result will be very dense, white, somehow "glowy" contrails with a significant drop in frame rates.

- as I mentioned above, I have the same issue - contrails are dense, white and there is pretty large FPS drop (external and VC view).

When I tick "Exclude particle effects" and convert again, bloom effect appears around contrail (I haven't this bloom effect with previous version...I will paste photos later), but they flicker then  :( (however, FPS back to normal).

Both settings of "Exclude particle effects" option unfortunatelly aren't satisfactory :(

As for this:

When I tick "Exclude particle effects" and convert again, bloom effect appears around contrail

I paste screenshots:

t2352231_contrailsbloom2.jpg

t2352230_contrailsbloom.jpg

I observed that with "Exclude particle effects" option unchecked, fps drops around by 10 - quite a lot.

One more picture - light glare:

t2352627_glare.jpg

What I discovered that glare is visible even if I unchecked "Exclude particle effects" - so it's doesn't matter if "Exclude particle effects" is ticked or unticked - glare around contrails is visible (at day time of course).

Sure, I can turn it off in Fixer, but I want to this effect at airports (runways) by night.

Anyone have these issues?

Hmm, nice monologue :) ...Keven, help ;)

I observed that with "Exclude particle effects" option unchecked, fps drops around by 10 - quite a lot.

t2352627_glare.jpg

What I discovered that glare is visible even if I unchecked "Exclude particle effects" - so it's doesn't matter if "Exclude particle effects" is ticked or unticked - glare around contrails is visible (at day time of course).

Sure, I can turn it off in Fixer, but I want to this effect at airports (runways) by night.

I ticked "Exclude particle effects", glare is still visible, frames are ok now, and the flickering is not present that much. But because of the frame rates i will leave it ticked.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Hi Ivan,

how the wheel effects and engine jet wash look in your sim with "Exclude particle effects" ticked?

t2352627_glare.jpg

Same here,

there is still some glare, even with ticked exclude particle effects. But as the contrails are not so dense when remaining unconverted, the glare effect is not that prominent.

You will have flickering with the wheel effects when ticking "Exclude particle effects". You have to leave it UNticked. To prevent contrails or vortices from conversion altough you allow particle effects to be converted, you have to insert the effects name of the contrails and/or the vortices to the DX10 patch-ini file manually. The exact procedure is well described in the DX10 Fixer Mannual.

Then you can convert all particle effects, but the Fixer software will exclude the contrails and leave it unconverted.

We are looking at the issue right now.

In the end, it's really a question of balance. Having good performance in DX10 for converted particle effects is hard to accomplish. 

2 possible solutions:

1. We update the effect to fix in the middle of DX9 and DX10 in term of performance. This would degrade the quality when running the sim with DX9.
  2. We make 2 different effects (DX9 and DX10 versions) and you could choose when installing the effect package.

Let me know what you guys think.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

WOW, that's a really kind offer!

Mh, i don't wand to switch back to DX9, and i am not planing to buy P3D, so perhaps a DX10 version would be the best for me. That would be great! in general, I have to convert particle effects, otherwise smoke and all that stuff is not displayed correctly. But at the moment i have to exclude the PrecipitFX contraisl and voritces every time manually, which is a little bit annoying.

So if you will have a heart for the DX10 minority, that would be great :)

Matthias

WOW, that's a really kind offer!

Mh, i don't wand to switch back to DX9, and i am not planing to buy P3D, so perhaps a DX10 version would be the best for me. That would be great! in general, I have to convert particle effects, otherwise smoke and all that stuff is not displayed correctly. But at the moment i have to exclude the PrecipitFX contraisl and voritces every time manually, which is a little bit annoying.

So if you will have a heart for the DX10 minority, that would be great :)

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

We estimate that over 40%-50% of our customers run FSX with DX10. This makes it a big deal!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Ivan,

how the wheel effects and engine jet wash look in your sim with "Exclude particle effects" ticked?

Ok just checked on 737: only anomaly that i get is the fickering on the nose wheel spray effect, everything else seems ok!

Ivan Majetic

If you choose to convert them via unticking "Exclude particle effects" in the fixer software, the result will be very dense, white, somehow "glowy" contrails with a significant drop in frame rates. Is it just my system or can someone confirm my findings?

----------------------------------------

Yes, you are correct...as with you, if I do convert the contrails, no flicker...the effect is denser, but FPS does do a drop over the cliff. The same if in a marine situation, wakes are generated, or bow spray is....FPS 'goes underwater'...lol.

Oh, you also have frame rate drop with wakes? With the FSX original files? I have no side effects with FSX original smoke or contrails or wakes, interesting.

I think, the suggestion of Keven is great, to create DX10 compatible effects if the community desires them! On the HP, the PrecipitFX guys clearly say, that the effects need the fixer software to work properly, and that they were not intended to work under DX10. So the suggestion to create compatible ones is really a very noble suggestion!

Matthias