Sign in to follow this  
ankh21

New contrails FSX with DX10

Oh, you also have frame rate drop with wakes? With the FSX original files? I have no side effects with FSX original smoke or contrails or wakes, interesting.

I think, the suggestion of Keven is great, to create DX10 compatible effects if the community desires them! On the HP, the PrecipitFX guys clearly say, that the effects need the fixer software to work properly, and that they were not intended to work under DX10. So the suggestion to create compatible ones is really a very noble suggestion!

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

Our DX10 effects would still require SteveFX Scenery Fixer but we'd have them optimized and converted properly for you on install. FSX on it's own is sh**  when it comes to handling DX10...

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven

thanks for your detailed explanation. The result would be the same, i guess. You say, that there are about 40% of your costumers are DX10 users, and i think most of them are using Steve's DX10 Fixer. So if there is still some conversion to be done, that won't bother me, at the bottom line the results are important. And having your effects without performance drop sounds very exciting to me :)

Yes, FSX is a challenge, not only in terms of DX10...Imaging what FSX would have been if all the commercial and freeware developers were involved in creating that software right from the beginning...but thanks to all, who decided not to accept the limitations and to work on solutions like Steve with his DX10 fixer or you guys with your effects!

Oh, you also have frame rate drop with wakes? With the FSX original files? I have no side effects with FSX original smoke or contrails or wakes, interesting.

I think, the suggestion of Keven is great, to create DX10 compatible effects if the community desires them! On the HP, the PrecipitFX guys clearly say, that the effects need the fixer software to work properly, and that they were not intended to work under DX10. So the suggestion to create compatible ones is really a very noble suggestion!

Matthias

Yes...it is also with the wake particle effect, if the effects are converted.  I had a boat with a bow spray that killed the frames to only 4 FPS!  I then switched to a runabout, and the frames recovered with only a stern wake and spray.  I'm not pointing any fingers actually, for who knows if the boat config had some value not playing in the sandbox.  That was the experience though, with the particle effect converted in Steve's Fixer v2.6

Hi Matthias,

Our DX10 effects would still require SteveFX Scenery Fixer but we'd have them optimized and converted properly for you on install. FSX on it's own is sh**  when it comes to handling DX10...

Kevin...add my 'happy dance' to the list, if you optimize for DX10, run under Steve's Fixer software. That is the only mode I run FSX:MS, presently, and would run FSX:SE in, when I decided to install that version at some future time.  

Thank you!

Hi Keven

thanks for your detailed explanation. The result would be the same, i guess. You say, that there are about 40% of your costumers are DX10 users, and i think most of them are using Steve's DX10 Fixer. So if there is still some conversion to be done, that won't bother me, at the bottom line the results are important. And having your effects without performance drop sounds very exciting to me :)

Yes, FSX is a challenge, not only in terms of DX10...Imaging what FSX would have been if all the commercial and freeware developers were involved in creating that software right from the beginning...but thanks to all, who decided not to accept the limitations and to work on solutions like Steve with his DX10 fixer or you guys with your effects!

Lets say we don't have these problems with P3D!!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

You will have flickering with the wheel effects when ticking "Exclude particle effects". You have to leave it UNticked. To prevent contrails or vortices from conversion altough you allow particle effects to be converted, you have to insert the effects name of the contrails and/or the vortices to the DX10 patch-ini file manually. The exact procedure is well described in the DX10 Fixer Mannual.

Then you can convert all particle effects, but the Fixer software will exclude the contrails and leave it unconverted.

Hi,

could you tell me what files exactly should I exclude manually? - I'm searching \Effects folder and I don't see any file connected with PrecipitFX contrails :(

Are these files: fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fx?

One more question - I don't see [ExcludeEffects] section in DX10.ini file - should I add it manually?

Hi,

could you tell me what files exactly should I exclude manually? - I'm searching \Effects folder and I don't see any file connected with PrecipitFX contrails :(

Are these files: fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fx?

One more question - I don't see [ExcludeEffects] section in DX10.ini file - should I add it manually?

Hi,

i am at work at the moment, so i cannot look it up on my FSX machine. But as far as i remember, in the effects section of FSX, you will find the fx_contrail_l.fx and a backup of the same file created by PrecipitFX, which did a backup of the installed effect.

So, first start the DX10 scenery fixer and revert all effects. Close the fixer.

Then you have to search the DX10 fixer .ini files. It is not the DX10.ini file (i think, the fixer manual is wrong at that point), but the DX10patch.ini or something like this. It's in the same directory as the DX10.ini. There you will find the [exclude effects] section. Add the contrail effects name (which should be the PrecipitFX contrails now, although it uses the standard FSX file name), start the Fixer again and convert all effects with UNticked particle effects. Now you shoudl have the PrecipitFX contrails unconverted, which look very nice even in the unconverted status.

The only side effect is some flickering, and the contrails disappear under certain view angles.

If you have problems, i will have a look in detail when i am home this evening.

Matthias

Thanks, Matthias.

I hope that is temporary solution and contrails from 1.4.0 update will be optimized after conversion :)

- thanks for taking position and action in that case, Keven :)

Ok,

it's not the patch.ini, but the DX10Product.ini!!

If you need further assistence just ask :)

Matthias

Ok.

If I have "Exclude Particle Effects" ticked at the moment, I assume that I should:

1. modify DX10Product.ini file by adding proper effect in [ExcludeEffects] section, then...

2. in Fixer - untick "Exclude Particle Effect" and press APPLY.

Please confirm...

Regards,

Lucas

Hi!

Yes, if you have "Exclude particle effects" ticked at the moment, it should work as you described it in your post.

If not, we will do it from the scratch :)

Matthias

FSX on it's own is sh**  when it comes to handling DX10...

Priceless  :LMAO:

Rich Sennett

...Matthias, can you also confirm that this is the file should I exclude: fx_contrail_l.fx ?

What about fx_contrail_s.fx ?

Sorry Lukasz for not beeing precise enough.

Both files. Both files are replaced by precipitFX.

Matthias, everything work!

...but I see that new update is available (build 1.3.0.12). For now I don't know if it resolve all above issues...

Thanks for help.

Lucas

I tested version 1.3.0.12, but I think nothing changed related above issues. I removed any excludes and convert all effects in Fixer, to check this version:

1. FPS is still low (green mark on screen)

2. just after engines, contrails are dotted (red mark) - I don't remember are they look like this in previous version (1.2.0 or earlier)? [however it is minor case]

3. bloom effects is still visible in day-time (yellow mark). Is it possible to remove this effect form contrails? My Bloom settings in Fixer below...

t2359982_fsfxprecdx10.jpg

t2359981_bloomset.jpg

Lucas