Sign in to follow this  
ankh21

New contrails FSX with DX10

Hey Lucas,

i think, Keven will inform all of us here, when the DX10-friendly version is available. Playing around with the bloom settings may have an effect, but i am afraid, that you will see side effects on your planes and scenery. So for me, i still live with the UNconverted contrails or with the FSX Standard ones and wait till the DX10 version of the contrails will be ready for download.

Matthias

We'll be working on this in the coming days. I'll report here when we release the update, don't worry. The latest build was just to fix issues with the integrity checks in the installer.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thanks guys, I'll try to be patient :wink:

Ps. Keven, do you plan optimize also T7 Immersion contrails? I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Immersion contrails (converted) also cause a little frames drop...

Thanks guys, I'll try to be patient :wink:

Ps. Keven, do you plan optimize also T7 Immersion contrails? I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Immersion contrails (converted) also cause a little frames drop...

We think the focus should be put on PrecipitFX for now. We will then decide if it's worth the time and effort to go forward with 777 Immersion.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

So from what i read it's better to wait until this issue is fixed for dx10 users right? I'm interested in precipitfx
but i used dx10 mode with Steves fixer, and my FSX is pretty stable now...

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

You don't have to wait,

you can purchase it now. During Installation you can determine, which effects you want to be installed. You can enjoy rain and snow, wheel and engine spray and all that stuff

in DX10 with the Fixer. Just exclude the contrails. As the frequent updates are free, you can re-install everything including the contrails, when the DX10 contrails are implemented.

Matthias

Hi folks!

Sorry for the delay, we had to move some priorities within the company.

I have done extensive testing under DX10 environment with and without SteveFX's Fixer. I only have been able to moderate the FPS impact by shortening the contrails. Flattening the contrail would also be an option but it isn't really visually appealing.

I would like to have your opinions on this and what would you consider the best option.

An update will be released with the conclusion of this thread

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Rather have a shorter contrail, than a flat one :P

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Hey Keven,

thank you for collecting the comunity's opinion!

I don't know anything about rendering of particle effects with DX10, but would it be possible to reduce the number of particles? As the DX10 users mentioned, the contrails are very shiny and seem to expand a lot. Perhaps, a little narrower contrails and with less particles could be a solution? For the optical apperence perhaps the outer limits of the effect are more important rather than the "volumetric" inner core of the effect. Just a thought :)

Matthias

Hey Keven,

thank you for collecting the comunity's opinion!

I don't know anything about rendering of particle effects with DX10, but would it be possible to reduce the number of particles? As the DX10 users mentioned, the contrails are very shiny and seem to expand a lot. Perhaps, a little narrower contrails and with less particles could be a solution? For the optical apperence perhaps the outer limits of the effect are more important rather than the "volumetric" inner core of the effect. Just a thought :)

Matthias

The problem with lowering the particle count is that seen from below, the contrail would look broken into small puffs instead of a line. A blend of 3D/2D would look good in the end. We'll do some testing ;)

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

I understand then that the current version does not work correctly in DX10, FSX-SE (last update) and P3D 2.5. Is that correct?

Hi Keven,
I understand then that the current version does not work correctly in DX10, FSX-SE (last update) and P3D 2.5. Is that correct?

Hi,

The current version works correctly on FSX DX9, FSX DX10, FSX-SE and P3D v2.5.

Some people have performance issues using it with FSX DX10. This thread is about solving this issue.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

The problem with lowering the particle count is that seen from below, the contrail would look broken into small puffs instead of a line. A blend of 3D/2D would look good in the end. We'll do some testing ;)

Thanks for explanation! Mh, i see, that's really a dilemma. But i am sure you'll find a solution. The second part ot the standard FSX contrails is flattend and i can extend the standard contrail effect to more than 4 minutes display time without any performance hit, so perhaps including such an effect as a core component would make the contrails looking compact while saving rendering performance.

Matthias