Sign in to follow this  
pincopanco

Is advantageous in P3D overclock the video card?

I have an Asus Strix 980 and I was wondering whether to make a overclock.

In P3D, is useful or useless?

Have any of you tried it?

Eventually, what values have you put?

In the web they are found many, but all different, and I am inexperienced in this.

Thanks

I have a Zotac 980 AMP Extreme and I set the GPU Clock to 1365 MHz (the base GPU Clock is 1291MHz). I can't set a higher GPU Clock, otherwise I get an white screen crash.

I have tried it with Windows 8.1 and Win 10 TP and different NVidia drivers, but with a higher value as 1365 MHz I get always an white screen crash. But I have this prob only with P3D and FSX.

Marko

Marko Barthel

vtadesign_bw.png

Over clock is Over Rated, just my humble opinion

Over clock is Over Rated, just my humble opinion

For video cards that is probably true since most of the newer higher end nVidia cards have some kind of automatic boost over their stock speeds.

Even for CPUs, the OC should always be compared to the turbo boost frequency and generally getting 5-10% better than the turbo boost with a manual OC is about all one can expect. A Core i7-4790K at 4.4GHz is technically overclocked by 4.7% (at least, compared to Intel's turbo boost implementation).

With a high end video card and high end CPU it will net you very little. I don't do it as stability is more important than the 1 or 2 FPS it will net. The biggest Achilles heel of FS is the CPU unfortunately. Now that Intel won the desktop CPU war we can only expect to be spoon fed marginal upgrades as they've shown for the past 3 cycles of CPU releases....put a stake in moores law its officially dead lol.

No No No and No all you are doing is looking for trouble and a new video card - every time I have done it and a very mild OC at that they were never the same - if you want a new video card then go for it

Rich Sennett

Asus Strix 980 and I was wondering whether to make a overclock.

I have a 970 which I can turn into a 980 with one keypress.  I don't with P3D ... yet.  Playing with Crysis 3 I do.

Most often with Maxwell based GPU's, even with fairly high settings, you will see barely 70% utilisation. Therefore no benefit will be had by overclocking.  Even cpu overclocking in P3D (in my experience) brings little real benefit other to the ego and/or bragging rights.

Just fly ... :p0504:

If you use nVidia Inspector and run high levels of SGSS AA you might want to OC the GPU, but otherwise I've found no benefit to it.

Cheers, Rob.

Buying a sweet Strix 980 and not overclocking it would be like wasting it.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

If you use nVidia Inspector and run high levels of SGSS AA you might want to OC the GPU, but otherwise I've found no benefit to it.

That is interesting. I always thought that the (SGSS) AA settings brings down the fps due to the CPU having to work harder. I have a 2600K running OC @4.3.

This weekend I traded my GTX660 for a GTX970 EXOC BE, but I did not do the whole NI exercise again because I assumed it was fruitless.

Which GPU/NI settings can I change to benefit from my new GTX970 you think?

I always thought that the (SGSS) AA settings brings down the fps due to the CPU having to work harder

AA is always GPU bound ... well, I shouldn't say always, because you can force AA to be "software rendered" but that would only happen if the GPU didn't support hardware accelerated AA and it's been at least 2 decades since AA wasn't handled by the GPU.

FPS drop is due to the raw GPU performance needed to accomplish SGSS AA.

Which GPU/NI settings can I change to benefit from my new GTX970 you think?

I don't use NI (except when I'm doing screenshots for someone else).  I find MSAA and/or FXAA are enough for nice visuals on my setup (3840 x 2160) ... sometimes FXAA will work better for 3rd party airports that contain objects with narrow geometry that doesn't work with MSAA.

Cheers, Rob.

AA is always GPU bound ... well, I shouldn't say always, because you can force AA to be "software rendered" but that would only happen if the GPU didn't support hardware accelerated AA and it's been at least 2 decades since AA wasn't handled by the GPU. FPS drop is due to the raw GPU performance needed to accomplish SGSS AA.

I don't use NI (except when I'm doing screenshots for someone else).  I find MSAA and/or FXAA are enough for nice visuals on my setup (3840 x 2160) ... sometimes FXAA will work better for 3rd party airports that contain objects with narrow geometry that doesn't work with MSAA.

Thanks for the explanation, Rob. I tried it, and I am very happy now with the following results : P3D 4x MSAA, FXAA off, and SGSS 4x in NI.

The GTX970 can handle this very well.

Robbie mind sharing you nvidia control panel settings - thanks Robbie

They're very simple ... all defaults.

Rob's football pitch sized monitor

Funny thing is, I had to get new prescription glasses last week ... they're dedicated to my 14 hrs behind a monitor work.

and maybe that race car driver Rob

If you value the car (and you should with such a nice car), don't let me drive it Rich ... to me cars are tools to get a job done ... and tools break, I've broken A LOT of tools :)

I can handle cars, but my only race credentials are "something less than 1:56" at Donnington GP circuit on a 600 Honda

I've been on "street" bikes most of my life (starting age 12 and giving it up age 44) ... but I've never really raced 2 wheelers competitively, just don't have the balls to be honest.  But I'm a huge MotoGP fan.

Rob.

My Asus GPU came with a utility called GPU TWEAK so I've OC'd it by 15-20%. It does make a subtle difference to performance in sim and temps are fine.

I've gone from this...

model_vr6_tuning_noire_1.jpg

To this...

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9c5183ff7

One does 24mpg the other does...70mpg. Guess....:D

PS: I think I've gone off topic...

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg