Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Still problems with Ground Mechanic

Gerald,

Thank you for your response in an earlier post, however I have downloaded the latest version 2.6.3.9 and am still having problems with comms with Ground and GSX. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't see it. The following is my transcript of commands (may not be exact responses but you get the idea):

Me: "Ground from flightdeck"

Mechanic: ...anything I can do to assist"

Me: "Ground we are ready for push back right"

Ground: "Will connect ground power let me know when your ready for push back."

Nothing

Me: "Ground start push back right"

Ground: "OK will STOP push back" !!!!!!

Me: "Ground START push back right"

Again- Ground: "OK will STOP push back" !!!!!!

Also no interaction with GSX and no further reponse either from ground or GSX.

I resort to GSX menu to commence push back and start engines.

Now another problem.

After stopping the push back via GSX.

Me: "Ground from cockpit"

No response but Copilot pipes up: "Captain, Need to shutdown one engine before calling maintenance."

Then shutdown one engine and try again-

Me trying again: "Mechanic you may disconnect"

Ground:"OK will disconnect soon, have a good flight"

Why? Surely one should be able to start both engines during push back before requesting mechanic/ground to disconnect.

I just cant seem to get the correct sequencing from requesting push back, starting engines and ensuring the mechanic is disconnected. Nor does ground communicate correctly with GSX for push back.

Could you please advise as to what I am doing wrong?

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart.

Take a look at "Start n push", a video I did a while ago. It features the J41, but it's the same for all aircraft.

I found that I must attach the tug first before undertaking any other operations! Check the video out. Can't link it here, I am on one of these Android things?

Been a while, but I bet the routine is the still the same. Always ensure tug is attached first.You can see videos I did with the 737/md11/707/727:-

Engines start at gate before push. Either port or starboard or both.

Engines start during push,either port or starboard or both.

Engines start after push......all depends upon airport rules for your aircraft and location of gate.

The J41 never gets a tug push, I did the procedures for an exercise. In my exercise, the GPU gets disconnected after opposite side engine and generators are running, so ground mechanic doesn't get diced and sliced! :-)

In the Aussie film,("Unusual Procedures", couple of videos down from "Start n push") a badly parked J41 gets pushed out of a corner gate after previous pilots have left it facing inwards! Normally all Turboprop gates have semi circular "taxi round" parking spots, at an angle to the gate, so you can just start up and go!

Can't recall if my you tube link is on here, it's "HERKY231" or " DAVID HERKY". Under "my flight simulator x flights"

:-)

Regards

David

Thanks David. I too am out at the moment but will have a look at you videos later.

Stuart

Ok, Stuart. The "Start n push" movie was done because I had similar issues to yourself. The Tug always needs to be connected first. The setting/release of the handbrake is also pivotal in GSX pushing and disconnecting at the right moment.

Hope this helps. I have been away from FSX for a while, so don't have the latest MCE. But I bet it's 100% ok. Unlike my PC which, after a HDD swap to a SSD, has had a psychotic episode!

Cheers

David.

David, sorry to hear about your psychotic episode. I myself am considering building a new PC using SSDs for windows and FSX, as my 10 year+ old PC is beginning to feel the strain.

I hope you resolve your PC issues as your videos are magic.

Cheers

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

David, sorry to hear about your psychotic episode. I myself am considering building a new PC using SSDs for windows and FSX, as my 10 year+ old PC is beginning to feel the strain.

I hope you resolve your PC issues as your videos are magic.

Cheers

Stuart

Seems we share similar problems ( not psychotic SSD's!!:-))

My PC is 7 years old.I have practically rebuilt it since it's birth. However, it's showing its age a bit...( hmmm,me as well!)

The new CPU's / GPU's are marvellous and I think W10 will/may be a longevity product!

I am interested in the Occulus Rift and keen to see how it translates on to our flight sims. With Voice Recognition software, we don't need the keyboard, well so the theory goes??

Hope you get those pesky GSX ground techs to behave. Let us know how you get on.

regards

David

David, I had a look at Occulus Rift and it does look an interesting hardware development, however watching the video it sounds as though developers would need to adopt software to work with it, and I can't see Dovetail, either being able or willing to do so. Also, not sure how such VR hardware works when using hardware yokes and throttles, so think we may be stuck with the likes of TrackIR and the like. Not that I use that anyway as it's too expensive.

In your video, I didn't hear you ask the mechanic to disconnect, maybe I missed it?

Cheers

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

David, I had a look at Occulus Rift and it does look an interesting hardware development, however watching the video it sounds as though developers would need to adopt software to work with it, and I can't see Dovetail, either being able or willing to do so. Also, not sure how such VR hardware works when using hardware yokes and throttles, so think we may be stuck with the likes of TrackIR and the like. Not that I use that anyway as it's too expensive.

In your video, I didn't hear you ask the mechanic to disconnect, maybe I missed it?

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

The Rift is not final retail yet. I am presuming when it goes out it will just plug into an advanced GPU with HD output. Should just transfer screen output to VR display and then work like TIR. May not work with FSX since it's not for resuscitation. Who knows?

I don't ask ground to disconnect. Once the push is complete, the tug stops. The tech walks up to the tug, stops and waits. He then tell you to apply hand brake. The action of applying hand brake causes them (GSX) to unhook you from the tug. They then give you the all clear to taxi. But to initiate that little subroutine, I have to make sure the tug is connected before any thing else. Now this may have changed, but it's how I do it. Ymmv. :-)

Cheers

David.

Seems David that you are only using GSX to handle push back. I was trying to request MCE mechanic to initiate and interface with GSX, which according to MCE docs this should be possible.

Quote from mce doc.

"You can continue interacting with the MCE provided mechanic. The only difference is that when any of GSX or AES is detected, the mechanic will coordinate pushback and make sure the correct menu selections are made."

I just can't seem to make this happen.

Oh well I'll persevere and if necessary just resort to using the GSX menus instead of the MCE mechanic for push back.

Cheers

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Stuart, it is still working fine for me...dont give up just yet.

Try making the initial engagement:  "Cockpit to Ground"...or Mechanic from Cockpit, etc....this should start that part of the MCE interface.

He will "awaken" and will need your instruction....once he says Hello, give him the instruction directly "Ground request Catering/Refuelling/deboarding" and dont touch anything, the menus should come up and be selected.

I did a full flight a couple of days ago and had no issues..

Another thing you can try is...go to your  USERS/your pc name/APP DATA/ROAMING/MULTI CREW EXPERIENCE folder....you will see the MCE.cfg file...there is an entry that states:

GroundServicesMode=NATIVE....simply change the word NATIVE to GSX.....MCE supports default FSX/P3D as well as AES and GSX so you will get the program with this default.

Hope it helps with your issues.

Seems David that you are only using GSX to handle push back. I was trying to request MCE mechanic to initiate and interface with GSX, which according to MCE docs this should be possible.

Quote from mce doc.

"You can continue interacting with the MCE provided mechanic. The only difference is that when any of GSX or AES is detected, the mechanic will coordinate pushback and make sure the correct menu selections are made."

I just can't seem to make this happen.

Oh well I'll persevere and if necessary just resort to using the GSX menus instead of the MCE mechanic for push back.

Cheers

Stuart

Definitely do what Will suggests. Groundservicesmode to GSX.

My FSX install has been copied three times to three drives, over 7 years! Most likely it's confused by now.

MCE does interface with both GSX and AES, I have videos to prove that. Even ones using both GSX and AES together at Zurich, where Aerosoft Zurich required AES to be functioning before the Jetways move and connect to the aircraft (MD11).

Good luck!

Thanks David.

I had a look at the MCE.INI file this afternoon and Will was right; the GroundService= entry was set to 'Native'. I have changed it to GSX, but unfortunately didn't have time to try it out.

I'll have a flight tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart,

every time you run the "run app wizzard" you'll have to change this to GSX.

I have once forgotten to "disconnect" the mechanic and i override him when i start to roll for take off :o .

But lately i haven't heard him either when disconnecting him :blink: .

How a topic can made me think hard...ppffff...lol

John Cramer