Sign in to follow this  
EyeoN

Procedure Database issue in G430 for NZNE

Hi

I have been trying to practice some RNAV (GNSS) approaches at North Shore Airfield New Zealand and i have come across something weird.

When i load in the GPS approach for runway 03 i don't get an option to use MABDA, i only  get VECTORS, SF and AGRAX. If i load the MABDA waypoint in directly it gives me a weird DTK which takes me south of the airfield miles away from where it is.

Now if i load the GPS approach for runway 21 it gives me the correct track to MABDA for the missed approach and if i load in the GPS approach for runway 03 and use the AGRAX Trans it gives me the correct location of where the MABDA waypoint should be.

I have uploaded some screens to show what i mean.

Now here are my questions

1. Is this a problem because the Nav database is out of date?

2. Is this a problem with the GPS unit itsself?

3. Will getting the real nav data fix this issue?

4. And if i getting the real nav data will fix this issue. How do i find the database key that they ask for when purchasing it?

Thanks in Advance

Adam 

I have found what i need to install Real Nav data. I will see if this fixes my issue and report back.

Thanks

Adam

I believe the approach you're trying to use is not an actual RNAV approach but rather a GPS approach that was part of the sim itself. If you did not purchase RealNav, the 430 uses the default sim database.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have installed the real nav data and now it doesn't list any RNAV approaches for NZNE. I have check a few other airports and they have listed the RNAV stuff just nothing at NZNE.

The MABDA way point track is still incorrect it is listed. The map icon for MABDA is in the correct spot but the track takes it somewhere else as you can see by the line.

http://i.imgur.com/yUOvZH7.jpg

Ok... we are not responsible for default data and can't correct it.

We are responsible for RealNav data and I will look into why NZNE has no procedures. If there are no procedures how could you load a procedure with MABDA from RealNav?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks Ed looking into it

Mabda is a GPS waypoint that handles the RNAV approach at NZNE and you can load it in the flight plan like any other waypoint or airport. It exists in the realnav data but its waypoint is miles away.

I have checked the GPS cords listed in the GPS and they are way off compared to the real cords, i wouldn't expect it to get the exact down to seconds but the minutes are way off.

GPS lists

S36*59*08

E174*53*06

Real cords

S36*41*37

E174*29*58

Also another question when i am on the second nav page and i try and toggle the data fields on/off the map nothing happens? Is this enabled on the g430?

Thanks

Adam

I have just looked in RealNav and MABDA is located at:

S36 41 37 E174 29 58.

That's in RealNav.

As for turning off the data fields, probably not as it wasn't something requested in the training field.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ok... I have reviewed NZNE. There is no publication that provides the runway threshold positions for this airport. As such, the physical location is technically unpublished and thus Lufthansa will not publish any procedures for it.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks for letting me know Ed i assumed the real nav data would be the same thats in the real g430's that i use and they have the RNAV proc's listed in there.

I guess its back to FSX and the reality-xp verison to practice my RNAV stuff at NZNE

Thanks for all your help.

If you can provide AIP information that presents the correct lat/lon of the runway thresholds... I can present that to Lufthansa.

I have reviewed what New Zealand provides online and found nothing myself.

I have to question how these are being added by Garmin when there is in fact zero threshold information being published by any authority.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have done the RNAV approaches at NZNE in 2 different aircrafts using the g430 and the g650 over the last few weeks and i am unsure as well as how they are getting in the software.

This may be helpful

This is the online verison of all of NZ charts

http://www.aip.net.nz/Home.aspx

I have asked around and spoken to a few different instructors/people and they suggested that the ones we use are the ones published by AIP/Jeppesen and the ones that Lufthansa use are done by a different entity who they are no one was sure.

I have also come around something weird when using the GPS to fly a DME arc in gps mode. I tired flying the NZWP(Whenuapai) VOR/DME 21 approach using the R280-R040 DME arc and everything loads in the gps correctly as way points but i cant get it to activate and fly the DME arc in fully gps mode when i activate the approach all it does it fly to the point of R280 then a straight line back to R040 it does follow the DME arc. I have tired doing the same in FSX and with the reality-xp g430 and it works.

I can upload a video if you would like me to to show you. 

Here is the chart to show what i am doing.

http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZWP_43.2_43.3.pdf

Once again

Thanks for all your help Ed.

Thanks

Adam

Those charts do not show lat/lon information for the runway thresholds. Without that data, Lufthansa will not publish the procedures.

As for the DME arc, what aircraft is this in?

One final note... Discussion of RealityXP is not going to happen in this forum. They used the actual Garmin trainer, thus they wrote no GNS code... and they hacked the core sim to drive the nav needle... because the sim doesn't allow that by default. Further discussion regarding RealityXP will be deleted.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ed

I have my gps loaded in a Baron 58 it is the closest to the Baron duchess that i fly for real. As for the charts i don't know where i would find that info other that what i linked. Guess ill have to do with out it the gps has pretty much everything else.

Also for the MABDA way point when i try and load it in the gps it has the cords that i listed before. I took a screen shot to show what the GPS lists.

http://imgur.com/Kk6g2Dn

Thanks

Adam

Ok... we're looking into why this is coming up with the wrong lat/lon despite the database values.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69