Sign in to follow this  
Chris Zubris

Tired of CTD's and OOM's

Sirs, Im rebuilding my whole system, new Scenery, Airports, etc. And I'm changing Brands (I want to use AS Airports and my PMDG Aircraft,NGX737, 747-400,800,Dream,MD-11,B777). Could you possibly tell me what Scenery, and other Add-ons you suggest, I'm looking for a Build without, CTD's and OOM's (Out of available memory messages). Any advice would be great. Thank You...

I would recommend a good graphics card like GTX 970, processor Corei7 4790K, and about 16GB ram should do it, if you are running ASN, REX, etc.

I only use FTX Global for my ground textures.  As a heavy metal flyer, I don't bother getting photo-realistic textures for (for example) the pacific northwest etc.  Scenery like that has a large memory footprint, increasing the chances for an OOM, and you will hardly notice the scenery from FL300+. I only activate my addon sceneries that actually involve my flightplan, orig, dest, altn.  No sense in loading up JFK + Manhattan if I'm flying CYYZ-TNCM.  

I just try to keep what is happening in my sim to a reasonable level, and I rarely have a CTD or OOM...

You need only 8 GB of RAM, a 64bit OS, the freeware Scenery Config Editor, and you should aim at creating a small set of graphics profiles (highest visual quality - high VAS usage, slightly reduced visual quality - significantly less VAS usage, and maybe one or two profiles more: day/night, with/without AI traffic).

You could consider X-plane.

What I was going to say :) Believe it or not, I got OOM's with 64bit X-Plane, until I realised I had my pagefile all messed up. I set to 4096 and 8192 (max) and all was well again.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I would recommend a good graphics card like GTX 970, processor Corei7 4790K, and about 16GB ram should do it, if you are running ASN, REX, etc.

This is not going to cure OOM. I have the same processor and card and memory. But first things first:

1. CTD - I don't have those. I had fsx not responding issues but those were related to corrupted freeware scenery;

2. OOM - yes I had those. I have reduced my UT2 to about 75% - not only I gained fps, but also vas was reduced;

3. Add on freeware sceneries. I discovered that many of them are the main problems that cause either CTD - fsx not responding or high vas usage - pure memory leak. Stock sceneries - you are fine. Pay ware from many developers - you are fine.

4. Disabling sceneries that I'm not flying over or to from. Done it. Helped.

How I'm flying. I got rig as described above. I have also SSD drives but this is not helping. I do use 777 & 737. I have ASN and Rex4. I'm not using textures higher than stock 1024, but this week plan to start going into 2048 to see any improvements or not. I have FS Global, Ftx global plus open lc plus vector with all details ticked on. I do use Steve DX10 fixer and that has also improved a lot.

Having said the above you can start playing. I'm not sure that prepar3d will help you at this moment. I'd wait until they move into 64 bit - even if you have to pay a bit more for new pmdg licenses. I can really fly with 30 fps plus in NYC JFK and EGLL.

Good luck, but don't waste your money yet.

Tom Link

You should consider networking, only using your flight sim pc to run flight sim, and using a laptop to run other programs like active sky or any acars programs, also for browsing the Internet which I'm sure most people do.

The plain and simple truth is that the flight Sims are not the memory hogs, it's not the flight sim that runs out of memory it's your computer, ive never seen my sim p3d consume more than 3 gig of its available 4 gig of memory with vector FSDT and PMDG on a 10 HR plus flight, I did however see my computer up and around 90% memory usage, then I moved alot of third party software to a laptop and networked it all, I saw my VAS usage drop a good 20-25%.

You could consider X-plane.

That isn't a solution for the OP who clearly has FSX addons they want to use. OOMs aren't inevitable in FSX. I never get them since I upgraded to 64 bit windows.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That isn't a solution for the OP who clearly has FSX addons they want to use. OOMs aren't inevitable in FSX. I never get them since I upgraded to 64 bit windows.

Why isn't it? The OP is making radical changes and the implication is that it it because of excessive OOMs and CTDs. I have had no CTD's and three OOM's in the last five or so years so that suggests FSX (and I include SE and P3d here) is not fundementally the problem. I do know people who have far more issues then I do but they have a different approach to add-ons then I do.

FSX, like the aircraft it simulates, has limits that need to be respected. You can not barrel roll a 777 without the occaisional crash, so why expect to stick on loads of sceneries, airports and add-ons problem free?

If adding loads of extras without problems is important to you or the OP, then a 64 bit simulator, such as x-plane has to be a serious contender.  If avoiding CTDs and OOMs is important to you, then the appropriate steps to minimise them must be taken. 

3. Add on freeware sceneries. I discovered that many of them are the main problems that cause either CTD - fsx not responding or high vas usage - pure memory leak. Stock sceneries - you are fine. Pay ware from many developers - you are fine.

Which ones specifically?

Because let's not marginalize the free work done by THOUSANDS in the community.

Which ones? I don't keep any lists but I'm relating to freeware airports available on avsim. You have to do this bit by yourself and find out by trial and error.

Summarizing. I have what is considered a very decent and well balanced equipment to run fsx. J can push it to Max and get high fps but guaranteed oom. Limit is that users expect toooo much from software which can't handle it - nor does prepared. Until one of those - and prepar is to be most likely the one - goes 64 bit, you have to learn how to balance.

But of course no one will agree to my opinion. Chasing rabbits is more fun. So have fun. (I wish to see faces of those spending thousands of $ on new rig and the oom they'll get 5 seconds after plane is loaded in FTX PNW at the gate without any action - sliders to the right)

Tom Link

Why isn't it?

Because none of the addons the OP mentions that he wants to use are available in X-Plane. Clearly he wants advice about running FSX with his new system.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I only use FTX Global for my ground textures.

No sense in loading up JFK + Manhattan if I'm flying CYYZ-TNCM.

I just try to keep what is happening in my sim to a reasonable level, and I rarely have a CTD or OOM...

This.

Never have experienced an OOM thus far, and the few CTDs that I had were quite easy to track down and get rid of.