Sign in to follow this  
Chris Zubris

Tired of CTD's and OOM's

I would recommend binning FSX and buying X-plane... no more OOMS or CTDs!

Not the most productive comment, don't you think? People want to run their PMDG products and can't because of some of the most frustrating issues in computing, which I'm fortunate enough not to be experiencing myself. This just adds to that frustration, even if it was meant to be lighthearted.

Walter Meier

Because none of the addons the OP mentions that he wants to use are available in X-Plane. Clearly he wants advice about running FSX with his new system.

These would be the add-ons that cause the OOM's and CTD's that he is so tired of?

My point was not that he move to X-Plane, it was that he give proper thought to what it was he was trying to do and what he should reasonably expect as a result. If he was not prepared to put in that thought, by moving to X-plane he could not run the add-ons that cause him issues. Problem solved.

These would be the add-ons that cause the OOM's and CTD's that he is so tired of?

My point was not that he move to X-Plane, it was that he give proper thought to what it was he was trying to do and what he should reasonably expect as a result. If he was not prepared to put in that thought, by moving to X-plane he could not run the add-ons that cause him issues. Problem solved.

The problem had a constraint, which you are ignoring. The OP said "I want to use AS Airports and my PMDG Aircraft,NGX737, 747-400,800,Dream,MD-11,B777". As those addons don't exist in X-Plane the problem is not solved by switching to it. No OOMs certainly, less CTDs maybe, but no addons that the OP wants to fly are available in X-Plane.

Your solution only creates a new problem.

OOMs and CTDs are not inevitable when running Aerosoft Airports and PMDG Aircraft. Far from it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

hi

you can try the free version of Ramdisk and "mklink" some of your FSX folders to the Ram-Memory, it helped me alot. link to a tutorial (sorry i only know this german one, maybe you can use googletranslate) http://www.forum.eulenandfriends.de/index.php/Thread/10856-FSX-oder-P3D-mit-RAM-Disk/

i had no CTD's since i setup this... running same fsx-install since 2 years, and errors are very very rare. (but im still fighting whit the FPS in FSX... whit the NGX i reach at least 24fps when im lucky, around 20fps is the centerline...)

folders i "mklink" :

Animals

Autogen

Boats

Effects

Gauges

GroundVehicles

Misc

Texture

Weather

The OP title was (is) Tired of CDT's and OOM's therefore using X-Plane will eliminate OOM's therefore a viable solution to the title in the forum.

He can also run DX10 which at least makes FSX flyable and reduce the OOM count.

Most of the solutions above are viable.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The problem had a constraint, which you are ignoring. The OP said "I want to use AS Airports and my PMDG Aircraft,NGX737, 747-400,800,Dream,MD-11,B777". As those addons don't exist in X-Plane the problem is not solved by switching to it. No OOMs certainly, less CTDs maybe, but no addons that the OP wants to fly are available in X-Plane.

Your solution only creates a new problem.

OOMs and CTDs are not inevitable when running Aerosoft Airports and PMDG Aircraft. Far from it.

I am not ignoring it in the slightest, I am merely choosing to give precedence to his choice of topic title. He did not say he wanted to run PMDG etc without CTD's, he said he was so tired of CTD's that he was doing a fresh build. Only then did he mention what he wanted to do on it, and while PMDG do not (currently) offer their products on X-plane, there are plenty of tubeliners that are available on that might match the OP's requirements.

I absolutly agree that OOM's and CTD's are not inevitable, and have already mentioned how few I have had over the years. What I was attempting to say (badly) was that to avoid them requires thought and care, not a fresh build. If you  consider using another platform, then you have to make decisions about what is important to you and what comprimises you are willing to make, and what you expect in return. Apply that same reasoning back to FSX and you will easily reduce CTD's and OOM's to the level yo are willing to accept. 

I am not ignoring it in the slightest, I am merely choosing to give precedence to his choice of topic title. He did not say he wanted to run PMDG etc without CTD's, he said he was so tired of CTD's that he was doing a fresh build. Only then did he mention what he wanted to do on it, and while PMDG do not (currently) offer their products on X-plane, there are plenty of tubeliners that are available on that might match the OP's requirements.

I absolutly agree that OOM's and CTD's are not inevitable, and have already mentioned how few I have had over the years. What I was attempting to say (badly) was that to avoid them requires thought and care, not a fresh build. If you consider using another platform, then you have to make decisions about what is important to you and what comprimises you are willing to make, and what you expect in return. Apply that same reasoning back to FSX and you will easily reduce CTD's and OOM's to the level yo are willing to accept.

Please read the opening post properly and not just the thread title. OOMs and CTDs aren't mentioned until the last sentence. Clearly, running the addons mentioned in FSX is his first priority. Advice on this was sought, not a recommendation to switch platforms.

As for the idea that considering X-Plane will make you rethink your FSX installation in a better way, words fail me.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Please read the opening post properly and not just the thread title. OOMs and CTDs aren't mentioned until the last sentence. Clearly, running the addons mentioned in FSX is his first priority. Advice on this was sought, not a recommendation to switch platforms.

As for the idea that considering X-Plane will make you rethink your FSX installation in a better way, words fail me.

1) Read the opening post in the context of the thread title. That is what most people do.

2) This is the internet, nothing is ever clear.

3) Advice was requested and offered. This is the internet, nobody said it had to be good or right. 

4) Nobody really cares whether or not you agree with the advice, but we are happy to listen to your alternative suggestions, if you have any.

5) You changed platform to Win64 to reduce OOM's, what is your objection to the OP switching platform to X-plane to eliminate them?

6) If you have a problem considering alternatives or consequences, then it is your problem, no one elses.

You changed platform to Win64 to reduce OOM's, what is your objection to the OP switching platform to X-plane to eliminate them?

Actually I changed to Win 7 64 bit because PMDG no longer support Win XP and I was having problems with the Operations Center. The 777 works well enough under XP but I upgraded in case the 747v2 doesn't. I wasn't getting many OOMs anyway, but I haven't had any since upgrading.

Paul, I don't have any objections to the OP switching to X-Plane if that's what they want to do. The point is they stated explicitly they wanted to stay with FSX. You keep ignoring this fact. Therefore advising them to switch to X-Plane does not satisfy their requirement and is useless.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Have a look thought the link in my sig it might help?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

what is Xplane with out PMDG?...just a nice road traffic simulator....:)

When I stopped using tons of AI traffic and started flying on VATSIM, the stability of FSX suddenly went through the roof.

My headaches went away with the removal of AI traffic.

I know that's not a good option for many, but perhaps if you can't figure it out, turn your traffic down to 0 and see how well your system performs. A large commercial AI traffic package running at 40% traffic was the culprit in my case.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

The point is they stated explicitly they wanted to stay with FSX.

You really should read posts more carefully yourself before you criticise others for not reading them. The OP did not mention FSX at all, let alone explicity. Everything after that is your interpretation, and as we have seen before, what you think someone elses has said often differs from reality.

You should consider networking, only using your flight sim pc to run flight sim, and using a laptop to run other programs like active sky or any acars programs, also for browsing the Internet which I'm sure most people do.

The plain and simple truth is that the flight Sims are not the memory hogs, it's not the flight sim that runs out of memory it's your computer, ive never seen my sim p3d consume more than 3 gig of its available 4 gig of memory with vector FSDT and PMDG on a 10 HR plus flight, I did however see my computer up and around 90% memory usage, then I moved alot of third party software to a laptop and networked it all, I saw my VAS usage drop a good 20-25%.

Wait.. and that really works. VAS is per program I thought> So p3d has 4 gb vas.. ASN has 4gb vas etc.. right?

Victor Roos