Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

Your worst nightmare in a single engine aircraft

And of course I mean the engine failure.

Since I couldn't set up my favourite A2A planes for random (and complete) engine failure, I wanted to make some addon for this, so I could improve my readiness and practise emergency procedure. If you're a pilot, you are never sure how prepared you are for this in a real life.

During PPL flights, Flight Instructor randomly cuts off the throttle and checks how you are executing emergency procedure. I miss that now.

So, I added a small feature into my flight planner (http://vfrflight.org), where you can set 'probability slider' for sim connection.

28.jpg

Set up your flight in some challenging area - within dense city, mountains, forests, with a little place for emergency landing. Plan some traffic patterns. Set the slider to max (1 failure within 5 min), and try your luck.

I was suprised how many times I thought I could make it, but I completely failed in a deadly spin. Once, I had failure on runway, just before taking off.

Even if you're not too much into this training, you can try it out to do something new.

Enjoy  :rolleyes: .

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Worst nightmare?  More like a not-to-be-missed opportunity to investigate the soaring performance of your average spam can......

Seriously though, looks good :)  Will have to try it out

I would think the worst nightmare would be a fire in the cabin. You can recover from a engine failure. From a fire ? you're toast.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Well, you got an instinctor on board so you can avoid the toasted scenario. My worst nightmare would be an engine out over a mountain range while IFR in a layer cloud. So your gliding but its would be quite uncomfortable.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Well, you got an instinctor on board so you can avoid the toasted scenario. My worst nightmare would be an engine out over a mountain range while IFR in a layer cloud. So your gliding but its would be quite uncomfortable.

Their are many very experienced pilots, including airline pilots, who won't fly signle engine IFR in real IFR weather for just that reason.

Al

Their are many very experienced pilots, including airline pilots, who won't fly signle engine IFR in real IFR weather for just that reason.

Al

I know that. And i know many other that fly IFR with single engine. It all depend your level of comfort, cloud base and type of terrain below. If cloud base is 4000 over ground, I don't feel out of option being in the layer. But i will avoid mountainous terrain with low cloud in IFR.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I remember once, I've found some video on youtube, where they installed several cameras on Cessna 207 with a plan to cross the Atlantic to new owner. For some "misterious" reason tanks started to leak and they made dramatic video of this emergency. It is hard to belive that it was a coincidence, more likely they wanted to make a dramatic program about aviation accident.

Many people in the comments shared the same thoughts, but since the name of the video was "Worst nightmare of the pilot", one comment made me lough very hard.

It said: "I fly. My worst fear are clowns."  :lol:

I was going to say worst nightmare would be being stuck in a single engine aircraft for several hours with my mother-in-law.

:lol:

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

The "toast" and "mother-in-law" flying scenarios are pretty scary.  Another scary nightmare scenario would be during a vfr flight, getting stuck in IMC weather in dense clouds over a mountain, then suddenly breaking out of the clouds and the ground is where the sky is supposed to be.