Sign in to follow this  
MM

PNG Tour #5 – Mineral Wealth in the Central Highlands

Leaving the base at Mount Hagen (AYMH) [Orbx], we fly the Central Highlands' valleys to Wapenamanda (AWYD) [Orbx], one of the two towns in Enga Province. Then we leave westwards for Kairik (KRK) [PIS-only], the mountainside airfield for the Pogera Mine which is now the world's largest gold mine outside of South Africa. Next is the newish Frieda River Project's airstrip (FRR) [PIS-only freeware] on the lower slopes of the Highlands. Here the gold and copper deposits promise the financial successes of Pogera and Ok Tedi but their extraction also threatens the environmental risks associated with those well-established mines.

Then we climb south over the mountains to Telefomin (TLF) [FSX], the home to the Telefomin people. Afterwards, we turn to Tabubil (AYTB) which is the growing modern town that has supported the long-running Ok Tedi Mine. The Ok Tedi has become an international symbol of the serious tradeoffs between the income and development associated with massive resource extraction against the health and ecosystem threats to people living in the broader area. Our final destination, along the banks of the Fly some 50nm south, is Kiunga (AYKI). The town serves as the supply point for Tabubil and the Ok Tedi Mine as well as a transshipment point for the copper slurry piped down from the mine to be put on ships and transported to the coast for export.

Note: [FSX] are airfields modeled in FSX default. [Orbx] are enhanced airfields included in the Orbx Jacksons package for PNG. [PIS] are enhanced airfields included in the Pacific Islands Simulation Bush Flying package. And [Orbx-only] and [PIS-only] are those depicted by Orbx or PIS but not by FSX.

Recommended Scenery:
This post has a complete list of the scenery recommendations for the PNG tour. You may want to download and install the freeware Frieda River airstrip available at AVSIM here.

PNG5_Frieda_River_Transport.jpg

Recommended Aircraft:
We shall carry mining engineers and international journalists to the area. I shall fly the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended DHC-6-300. Other oft-used aircraft in the region include the Britten-Norman Islander BN-2A, Pilatus PC6 Porter, Cessna 206 Stationair, Cessna 208B Grand Caravan and the Quest Kodiak. Historically, the DC-3 was a mainstay. (We should aim for something like 150ktas.) Any other similar aircraft will be just fine. This journey's airports are not "bush-flying challenges." They have some airline service … but several may catch your attention on finals.

Participation.

Time: Saturday March 20, 2015. 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) is available from the DropBox location here. A narrative will be posted in plenty of time. 

Please post your aircraft details in the MP spreadsheet so that we can see you in your true colors.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Never mind the environmental risks, show me the money! :spiteful:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I flew into KRK years ago in a twotter, was doing some work at the mine - I doubt FSX will model it well but the strip has a dip in the middle - it can also get quite foggy. We flew from Mt Hagen and encountered the worst CAT I have ever seen in a small aircraft, the pilot later told me that we dropped about 2,000 ft when we literally hit a hole in the sky - not uncommon in PNG mountain flying.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Interesting story, qnh.

The PNG 5 Mineral Wealth "Narrative" is available here. It includes a couple of photographs of that Kairik sloped runway as well as links to a film of a cloudy-day landing.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

An interesting document - the ski jump runway is very common, Kundiawa comes to mind, in Chimbu (Simbu) province - search Wikipedia for Chimbu Airport to see a photo.

Scott

As with the earlier PNG flights I have done a simple home-made version of Kairik (KRK).  If anyone doesn't have the PIS scenery and wants a runway to land on just drop me a PM and I'll make it available.

Thank you Mike for providing the coords.

I have actually read the 'Narrative', honest! Is PNG still as dangerous in the hinterland? I'm amazed we got out unscathed on our previous flights. :shok:

I have actually read the 'Narrative', honest! Is PNG still as dangerous in the hinterland? I'm amazed we got out unscathed on our previous flights. :shok:

A large part of my family still live there, my wife is Papua New Guinean, and sadly yes it can still be quite dangerous both from a flying perspective and on the ground.

The weather in the highlands areas is unpredictable at best and can close in very quickly - I flew into Goroka one morning with the sun shining, a beautiful day; when it came time fly out the place was covered in low cloud and the incoming aircraft had to divert to Nadzab (Lae).

The crime situation in the major cities can be quite severe although if you keep your wits about you everything should be OK. I lived in Port Moresby for 12 years and was only held up once. The villages are quite beautiful and in a lot of cases are subsistence based - the men go hunting and the women tend the gardens. Funnily enough, a large part of my family is from Rigo which is in the middle of the Owen Stanley Ranges, and we keep in touch via  facebook! No power or running water, but the village is on the top of a ridge and on the next ridge across is a phone tower :)

Scott

No power or running water, but the village is on the top of a ridge and on the next ridge across is a phone tower :)

:lol:  Forgive me, but that IS funny.

:lol:  Forgive me, but that IS funny.

No problems, I find it funny too. 

Mind you the scenery is spectacular

Scott

We've just finished a 31/2 hour flight in PNG and oooed and aaahed all the way.....When we could see through the clouds that is! :smile: 

Some piccies from yesterday's activities.

The "romp" of (Twin) Otters waiting to take off from Mount Hagen.  Photobomb courtesy of Roger in the DC-3! =@

PNG5_1.jpg?dl=0

Departure from Frieda River; Ron leads out Roger and Mike ahead of my Otter.

PNG5_2.jpg?dl=0

The busiest day of the year at Kiunga made us pay attention to aircraft separation.    Mike had just cleared the runway, Jeff on short final in P2-KSU, Ron lined up behind in -RDB and Roman in -MRN.

PNG5_4.jpg?dl=0

All on the ground at our final destination Kiunga. From left: Mike, me, Ron, Jeff , Roman and Roger.  Most of the small PNG airlines were represented.

PNG5_5.jpg?dl=0