Sign in to follow this  
Artur Munteanu

How I solved MY OOM FSX problem

Since your running GSX that tool you downloaded is not necessary and if you make any changes in the sim during the flight, the 2048 will get reset back to 1024. A better way since you have GSX installed would be to open the Addon Manager and set your 2048 there and that value will stay forever even if you make changes using the menu during the flight. Addon Manager is the only program out there that will continuously keep that value set regardless of what you do.

Already done that, but also the TML has a checkbox that do the same thing if selected. It's prevent that the texture didn't change back to default even if you change settings in FSX. Anyway the Addon Manager is set to 2024.

The UT2 module shouldn't use much memory. In actuality, ditching UT2 and going to WOAI is probably a worse move as the WOAI models aren't even FSX native models and will perform worse than FSX native models. Also if you download the WOAI packages that are titled as FSX packages, they include textures that are even larger than the UT2 textures which will consume more memory, plus they are still not FSX native models even thought the package says it's for FSX.

For me changes everything. With WOAI is all fluid and no more shutters or freeze near airports waing from UT2 to inject traffic. And the frame rate improved considerably. With UT2 for ex at EGLL X from Aerosoft I wasn't able to get more then 11-12 FPS in day time, because at night time my FPS was 2-4%, even at the gate, now in VC I have 20-25% FPS and external view up to 29-30% stable. Plus no more OOM, I am finally able to land, taxiing and park to the gate. With UT2 at 50% I only was able to make the touchdown, and then OOM.

One other note about WOAI that you may not know. When you install the packages and then convert the flight plans to FSX format, assuming that you did that

What do you mean by convert the flight plans? The installation is totaly automated setup with the WOAI Installer for FSX, you must convert the flight plans and recompile them with Power Pack only if you want to use WOAI packages with UT2 database, doing a manual extraction and install of the AI models.

Saying this, I know that UT2 is more effective, and i must say that uninstalling UT2 for me isn't a good choice because first of all I pay to buy it and now I don't use it. But it was impossible for me to continue to fly. An every flight an OOM happend, now I have 2 weeks with every day flight with no OOM.

What do you mean by convert the flight plans? The installation is totaly automated setup with the WOAI Installer for FSX,

I meant just what I said, convert the AI flight plans that WOAI installs to FSX format. I know what the automated setup is that WOAI uses because I have their cargo packages installed, but the automated setup doesn't convert the flight plans to FSX format. You need a separate utility like AIFPC http://aifs2.pvdveen.net/?cat=4 to convert the flight plans to FSX format.

Your probably wondering why would I want to convert them, they work fine as is? There are a few reasons why you want to convert them. First, FS9 and FSX store the times of the flights differently. Second, in FS9 flight plans the days of the week are numbered differently. In FS9 the week starts on Sunday which has the number 0. In FSX the week starts on Monday with the number 0. So when using FS9 light plans in FSX there will be a shift in the days. Flights that would departure on Sunday in FS9 will departure on Monday in FSX.

Lastly, the main and probably most important reason that you would want to convert the flight plans to FSX format is because you can't mix FS9 compiled flight plans with FSX compiled flight plans. The flight plans are stored in .bgl format and if you have all FS9 compiled traffic .bgls and then install one FSX compiled traffic .bgl FSX will only generate the FS9 compiled traffic.

Say for example, you install an ORBX or other manufacturers scenery that comes with its own AI for the airport and you have all the WOAI traffic but didn't convert the flight plans to FSX format, the traffic that came with the scenery, assuming it's compiled for FSX, will not show up.

Also, by not converting your WOAI traffic to FSX format, you will not be able to have any FSX ship or boat traffic since those run in a similar fashion to aircraft AI and FSX won't generate that traffic if you want to see boats or ships moving in the water.

you must convert the flight plans and recompile them with Power Pack only if you want to use WOAI packages with UT2 database, doing a manual extraction and install of the AI models.

See post above as I was not talking about importing the WOAI into UT2.

Regards,

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I meant just what I said, convert the AI flight plans that WOAI installs to FSX format. I know what the automated setup is that WOAI uses because I have their cargo packages installed, but the automated setup doesn't convert the flight plans to FSX format. You need a separate utility like AIFPC http://aifs2.pvdveen.net/?cat=4 to convert the flight plans to FSX format.

I do a research on WOAI forum and here : http://www.world-of-ai.com/forum/index.php?topic=10089.0 Peter van der Veen say that "No its not neccessary (to convert the flight plans), if you don't mind the shifted day in FSX you can use the FS9 bgl files without a problem."

So why should I do the convertion? I don't care about the day shifted. And this seems to be the only reason and not all the other reasons that you talk about. If it was necessary to make the convertion as you say, don't you think that this step shoud be mentionated in the installer WOAI documentation? Why do I have to do something that isn't mentionated in the documentation? I belive and follow the step wich the documentation of the software says and not some weird ideeas read on the forums. I know he is talking on the site about this, but the point is that isn't necessary at all to do the convertion in order to use WOAI traffic to work in FSX.

Anyway it's a little out of topic this disscution, I was talking here about OOM not WOAI FP, and honestlly I don't care a thing about WOAI flight plans, because they are ok as it is.

If you look into the manual for the NGX, Ryan made a great guide for tweaking FSX to prevent OOMs. One of his suggestions was to use Bojote's web tool at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Which manual  did he mention this in the introduction manual?  reason asking I find it hard  to believe  since   it  may have  a been a good tool many years ago with medium pc  etc  but  there are better guides  to  ensure your fsx runs  smooth  than allowing   the bojote  to make  changes  for  you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Which manual  did he mention this in the introduction manual?  reason asking I find it hard  to believe  since   it  may have  a been a good tool many years ago with medium pc  etc  but  there are better guides  to  ensure your fsx runs  smooth  than allowing   the bojote  to make  changes  for  you

2To be honnest, I don't know because I only read PMDG manual for pmdg products, if I wanna read how to configure FSX I read only this : http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

what other people say or think about fsx is irrelevant for me. I've used a couple of times that tool years ago, but not today of course.

Like the disscution first about WOAI FP, telling me about boats, and hwo knows what else. Hwo says I wanna see boats or dogs or something else in a flight simulation??? My slider for boats is set to 0, like any other slider wich has nothing to do with planes. It's a sim about flight not about fishing. Even the road vehicles I set to zero, because if I want to see cars I switch on Euro Truck Simulator 2 and see as many cars I want. In a flight sim I wanna see planes not some stupid stuff that has nothing to do with piloting.

Considering that every polygon render in real time or not, every 3d object that appear or move in FSX eats a lot of memory. I've even set to zero the airport vehicles. How many of simmers ever used one of that stupid and ugly vehicles wich microsoft designated in 2006?!? It's absurd man.

Artur, I find that people are trying to help you to understand what you are doing and you seem to be rather disrespectful to what they are telling you.

Jim Burke

Artur, I find that people are trying to help you to understand what you are doing and you seem to be rather disrespectful to what they are telling you.

Jim Burke

If I'm not agree with what someone say means that I'm disrispectuful for you? Strange point of view. I didn't offend anyone, I was only telling my point of view. When I open this topic I wanted to help someone else with the solution that works for me, but except 2 users, it seems that the others try to convince me that I make a ton's of mistake by starting with wrong installation of FSX, SP2, and something else. For me that was disrispectul, because I never dare to tell someone that he has wrong installation of the software (making in this way feel him like a foul). If I was so stupid to have all wrong installation, how is that I don't have OOM anymore and thousand of people still have it?

That point of view offend me, but I try not to be rude with anyone. I repeat I was only open this topic for trying to bring (maybe) some help, I didn't open it for asking some help. It was not my problem with OOM, because I resolved in this way.

Tell what: I ask some administrator to close or cancel this topic, so the question is closed. In this way everyone is happy, I will continue to make my flyes without OOM with all the FSX and SP messup like it was tell, and thats it.

I do a research on WOAI forum and here : http://www.world-of-ai.com/forum/index.php?topic=10089.0 Peter van der Veen say that "No its not neccessary (to convert the flight plans), if you don't mind the shifted day in FSX you can use the FS9 bgl files without a problem."

So why should I do the convertion? I don't care about the day shifted. And this seems to be the only reason and not all the other reasons that you talk about. If it was necessary to make the convertion as you say, don't you think that this step shoud be mentionated in the installer WOAI documentation? Why do I have to do something that isn't mentionated in the documentation? I belive and follow the step wich the documentation of the software says and not some weird ideeas read on the forums. I know he is talking on the site about this, but the point is that isn't necessary at all to do the convertion in order to use WOAI traffic to work in FSX.

Anyway it's a little out of topic this disscution, I was talking here about OOM not WOAI FP, and honestlly I don't care a thing about WOAI flight plans, because they are ok as it is.

Artur, I think you are not understanding or comprehending what we are telling you, maybe it's due to language barrier since English may not be your native language which is ok. I'm glad your not getting OOM'S anymore since apparently whatever you did seems to be working for you.

My posts regarding the traffic and SP2 were meant to educate you since you apparently didn't know that SP2 was already large address aware since the wiki page your read didn't state it, and apparently didn't know that the WOAI Installer doesn't install the flight plans to FSX format. You asked why would you want to convert them and I gave you the reason. Personally I don't care if you do it or not or care if you want to have boat traffic, but I thought it would be nice to let you know what the pitfalls are if you don't do it. Suppose one day you turned on the boat traffic and couldn't get it to work and wondered why. Well, know you know.

That being said, when you post things that are factually incorrect, like SP2 not already being large address aware and having to do it yourself, or if anyone sets their UT2 traffic higher than 25% they, do you honestly think no one is going to say anything to correct you. If I post something incorrect I don't take offense to someone correcting me, its a process of learning. That's how I though you may look at it as well. I was trying to let you know the pros and cons of using WOAI and what the consequences can be if you don't convert them to FSX format flight plans. That way in the future if you install some more traffic that is FSX format and it doesn't show up you would know why.

Apparently I was wrong in assuming that you might appreciate the information that I was giving you in case you run into issues in the future with other traffic, or that you don't need to use that Texture Max Load Editor in conjunction with it being set in the Addon Manager. Going forward I will be sure not to give you more information that I think you might find useful or save you some time, but if you post something that is not true, I may comment so that others who have the right to know the correct information will have it.

Happy flying,

Sean Campbell

Artur, I think you are not understanding or comprehending what we are telling you, maybe it's due to language barrier since English may not be your native language which is ok. I'm glad your not getting OOM'S anymore since apparently whatever you did seems to be working for you.

Got you're point, no prob. for me, and yes, english is not my native language, and maybe sometimes I miss the sense of the phrases.

But what I was trying to say also, is that with WOAI traffic and explorer suite, I didn't have anymore OOM, instead with UT2 I do. You said that the models of WOAI needs more memory then UT2 models, but you didn't explain at all for ex. why I has lower frames with UT2 and very high frames rate with WOAI. You were talking about flight plans, wich it isn't so important to me right now. I mean it was a discussion wich was no use for me in that moment (tks anyway for information).

Anyway sorry I didn't mean to be rude with some of you here. I was only try to focus on other arguments, that's all.

Got you're point, no prob. for me, and yes, english is not my native language, and maybe sometimes I miss the sense of the phrases.

Hi Artur, that happens a lot of times in forums that have an international following. There are a lot of ways people say things, that when they are not native English speakers, can be misinterpreted or sound like that are coming across a different way. I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or attack you, but give you facts and reasons. Glad you understand now.

You said that the models of WOAI needs more memory then UT2 models, but you didn't explain at all for ex. why I has lower frames with UT2 and very high frames rate with WOAI.

Here's the thing with WOAI and UT2 models. UT2 actually uses a lot of the same models as WOAI, but the ones in UT2 are FSX native models while the WOAI models are FS9 native. There's actually a free tool you can download and use to check to see if an aircraft is an FS9 or and FSX model. The tool is called a HEX-editor. You can read more about it here: https://raubkatzedermeere.wordpress.com/7-flightsimmer-tips-and-hints/

A few of the differences of using FS9 AI models in FSX are that FS9 planes that have propellers will often display the propeller as a black disk when the engine is started. To fix this you will have to change the transparencies in the prop.bmp or use an FSX equivalent model.

Another difference is that when using FS9 AI models is that if you turn on Aircraft Cast Shadows the FS9 AI won't cast ground shadows but will actually become invisible leaving only the aircraft's navigation lights and beacon lights. If you don't use shadows then it won't be an issue.

Lastly, FS9 AI models theoretically won't be as effective in FSX as FSX models would be. That would probably show up more in FPS than in VAS usage though.

When I was talking about the FS9 models from WOAI using more memory I was referring to the textures. You see, on the WOAI site you will see that some packages you can download for FS9 or FSX, while some are listed as just FS9. The ones listed for FSX still use the same FS9 models and FS9 compiled flight plans, but some of them listed for FSX have larger HD textures in 2048 or 4096 sized texture sheets, while the FS9 ones use 512 or 1024 sized textures. If you use the ones with large textures you will use up a lot more VAS. If I were you and are going to stick with WOAI, I would use the FS9 packages so that you get the smaller textures. On a side note, the UT2 AI use 1024 sized textures. You should also mip map the AI textures to help increase performance and reduce shimmer.

Take care and have a nice weekend.

Sean Campbell

Another difference is that when using FS9 AI models is that if you turn on Aircraft Cast Shadows the FS9 AI won't cast ground shadows but will actually become invisible leaving only the aircraft's navigation lights and beacon lights. If you don't use shadows then it won't be an issue.

This is true, I read about this issue on WOAI forum, but I don't use shadows, for planes and also I don't use shadows for scenery object.

A few of the differences of using FS9 AI models in FSX are that FS9 planes that have propellers will often display the propeller as a black disk when the engine is started. To fix this you will have to change the transparencies in the prop.bmp or use an FSX equivalent model.

When I was talking about the FS9 models from WOAI using more memory I was referring to the textures. You see, on the WOAI site you will see that some packages you can download for FS9 or FSX, while some are listed as just FS9. The ones listed for FSX still use the same FS9 models and FS9 compiled flight plans, but some of them listed for FSX have larger HD textures in 2048 or 4096 sized texture sheets, while the FS9 ones use 512 or 1024 sized textures. If you use the ones with large textures you will use up a lot more VAS. If I were you and are going to stick with WOAI, I would use the FS9 packages so that you get the smaller textures. On a side note, the UT2 AI use 1024 sized textures. You should also mip map the AI textures to help increase performance and reduce shimmer.

You know, reading all this about the difference for the two AI addons (WOAI and UT2), you make me think at an important problem that I didn't mention. And this was really a coincidence! In the same days, wich I has the new version of 737NGX and try some fly with 777, I made some modification for AI traffic: I start to import models from WOAI in UT2, I mean manual install in fsx, and some route database with power pack, because I wanted to substitute some of the daedalus planes wich wasn't present in UT2. Then (now that I think and turn on my steps) I remember that the OOM started right after that. Now I wonder if using WOAI models of planes in UT2 has something to do with that. There seems to be a lot of difference as you say betwen the models airplanes use. Infact when I was using the UT2 I've notice on airplanes imported from WOAI blac disk instead of engine, now that I use only WOAI, it seems to me that the engines are coming back.

So, I think that yes, can use UT2 with AI model from WOAI, but maybe some issue like OOM and various crashes can occure. Infact since I've start to import AI models in UT2 I've never encounter OOM, now that I remember, and on the other side now when I'm using ONLY WOAI the problems dissapeared. I mean the right solution can be : don't mix them toghether or to be more clear don't use AI models plane imported in UT2 from WOAI?

What do you think?

Like the disscution first about WOAI FP, telling me about boats, and hwo knows what else. Hwo says I wanna see boats or dogs or something else in a flight simulation??? My slider for boats is set to 0, like any other slider wich has nothing to do with planes. It's a sim about flight not about fishing. Even the road vehicles I set to zero, because if I want to see cars I switch on Euro Truck Simulator 2 and see as many cars I want. In a flight sim I wanna see planes not some stupid stuff that has nothing to do with piloting.

So you don't want the added realism of seeing cars, boats, etc which you might well see from the air when flying?

My wife once looked at my screen at one of the default airports in FS9 and said it looked like a ghost airport, as if the end of life on the planet had arrived. I had to agree and was so pleased when I moved to FSX and had airport traffic as well as AI aircraft and all the other transport modes. It makes the sim come alive and with my present rig (not particularly high end) I can run these things at moderate settings with no obvious impact.

Just my two cents worth! :rolleyes:

Iain Smith

Hi,

You might try using FSX DX10 mode, since all the textures will now be offloaded into graphic memory directly.

My FSX memory usage is sitting around 1.3 - 1.4GB flying with NGX.

But, you should buy DX10 Fixer in order to get rid of many DX10 problems.

Tri Nugroho

So you don't want the added realism of seeing cars, boats, etc which you might well see from the air when flying?

My wife once looked at my screen at one of the default airports in FS9 and said it looked like a ghost airport, as if the end of life on the planet had arrived. I had to agree and was so pleased when I moved to FSX and had airport traffic as well as AI aircraft and all the other transport modes. It makes the sim come alive and with my present rig (not particularly high end) I can run these things at moderate settings with no obvious impact.

Just my two cents worth! :rolleyes:

Iain Smith

Have you ever been in a real simulator? Well I do. In Italy at Thiene (VI) I pay my 80 euros for one hour fly with 737 NG and made my flight. The software wich simulate the outside cockpit view dosn't has anything else that empty airports, there are no cars, no boats nothing else but very accurate aiports design and land. Nothing else, not even AI traffic. And I say that I don't use the default FSX airport vehicles, NOT that I don't use airport vehicles. As I fly only in payware airports, they have thei're own ground traffic, so I don't need the FSX ground vehicles.

Take a look here to see the simulator wich I talk about:

Hi,

You might try using FSX DX10 mode, since all the textures will now be offloaded into graphic memory directly.

My FSX memory usage is sitting around 1.3 - 1.4GB flying with NGX.

But, you should buy DX10 Fixer in order to get rid of many DX10 problems.

Tri Nugroho

I used DX10 for 2 years with DX10 fix, but when I start to use some Fly Tampa airports, I have to quit, because the scenery from fly tampa aren't compatible at all with dx10, and the fix dx10 doesn't fix anything on they're airport scenery. It still remains black runaways with no texture, vehicles airport white with no texture, etc. Even PMDG suggest NOT to use DX10 in FSX. So I don't use it.

No issues here using  steves fixer  with any payware airports include  fly tampa airports  so cant  see  why your having  issues

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg