Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

FSX Virtual Cockpit FOV

Is there a way that you can zoom in and out (alter the magnification) of the outside only, and not the cockpit, in the VC view? (Hope the question makes sense).

I want to set them at two independent settings, like you can in the 2D cockpit view (although in the 2D view, you can't change the cockpit view; only the outside).

For example, I want the Virtual Cockpit set at 0.3 magnification and the outside view set at 1.00.

Is this possible?

Brian Nellis

Is there a way that you can zoom in and out (alter the magnification) of the outside only, and not the cockpit, in the VC view? (Hope the question makes sense).

I want to set them at two independent settings, like you can in the 2D cockpit view (although in the 2D view, you can't change the cockpit view; only the outside).

For example, I want the Virtual Cockpit set at 0.3 magnification and the outside view set at 1.00.

Is this possible?

EZdok

EZdok

Wait so EZdok does this? Like you can be set at 0.5 or 0.6 in the virtual cockpit to see everything, yet have outside zoom at 1.00 to make everything look normal as far as depth perception out the window ?

No, you can't set a separate exterior zoom from the VC zoom, even with EZdok. The best way to do it is to set the zoom you want for the exterior view which will seem to push you back in the VC but you can move yourself forward in the VC so that it doesn't appear that your zoomed out. The easiest way to do that is with EZdoc so that you can save the view as a camera, but you can also do the same without EZdoc.

What I do is zoom out to .80 then move my seat position forward so that I can't see the whole VC, then save that as my default view, but there is no way to set two separate zoom levels, one for outside and one for in the VC, FSX just doesn't have that capability.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wait so EZdok does this? Like you can be set at 0.5 or 0.6 in the virtual cockpit to see everything, yet have outside zoom at 1.00 to make everything look normal as far as depth perception out the window ?

yep, you'll love it. Unless you are thinking the view from inside the cockpit and out the window both having two different zoom levels, not even  a human can do that.

No, you can't set a separate exterior zoom from the VC zoom, even with EZdok. The best way to do it is to set the zoom you want for the exterior view which will seem to push you back in the VC but you can move yourself forward in the VC so that it doesn't appear that your zoomed out. The easiest way to do that is with EZdoc so that you can save the view as a camera, but you can also do the same without EZdoc.

What I do is zoom out to .80 then move my seat position forward so that I can't see the whole VC, then save that as my default view, but there is no way to set two separate zoom levels, one for outside and one for in the VC, FSX just doesn't have that capability.

What? I have my VC cameras set at .79 and my external aircraft cameras at 1.0 and world at 3.0. As a matter of fact I can set individual VC cameras to any zoom level I want. Some external cameras are set to .46 and .56 as well. Cameras can be set to what ever zoom level you want. Am I missing something?

2015-3-17_21-0-6-713.png

2015-3-17_20-59-36-475.png

2015-3-17_20-59-27-819.png

2015-3-17_20-59-5-650.png

Have you tried what cmpbellsjc suggests. He means shift your seat forward or back with Ctrl Enter and Ctrl Backspace which increases/decreases the closeness of your eyes to the VC whilst not effecting the exterior view.

Ezdok will be doing the same - changing the eyepoint position

What? I have my VC cameras set at .79 and my external aircraft cameras at 1.0 and world at 3.0. As a matter of fact I can set individual VC cameras to any zoom level I want. Some external cameras are set to .46 and .56 as well. Cameras can be set to what ever zoom level you want. Am I missing something?

Yeah, what your missing or rather not understanding is what the OP wants to do. He's asking if you can set two zoom levels at the same time from one view point. He wants to keep the VC zoom level at 0.3 but zoom the exterior landscape to a higher level at the same time, which you can't do.

Which is why I suggested that he zoom out to the level he wants for the outside view, meaning the view out of the VC, then move his eye point closer to the VC panel so that it doesn't look like he's sitting in the back jump seat.

Personally, I think what he really wants is to set the outside to 0.3 and keep the inside at 1.0 but he didn't word it that way. He essentially wants to keep the VC large like a 2 panel but increase his field of view by using a lower zoom level, probably to increase peripheral vision.

I think you just misunderstood his question since you can have separate exterior and interior zoom levels, but from one camera or eye point, you can only set one zoom level.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, what your missing or rather not understanding is what the OP wants to do. He's asking if you can set two zoom levels at the same time from one view point. He wants to keep the VC zoom level at 0.3 but zoom the exterior landscape to a higher level at the same time, which you can't do.

Which is why I suggested that he zoom out to the level he wants for the outside view, meaning the view out of the VC, then move his eye point closer to the VC panel so that it doesn't look like he's sitting in the back jump seat.

Personally, I think what he really wants is to set the outside to 0.3 and keep the inside at 1.0 but he didn't word it that way. He essentially wants to keep the VC large like a 2 panel but increase his field of view by using a lower zoom level, probably to increase peripheral vision.

I think you just misunderstood his question since you can have separate exterior and interior zoom levels, but from one camera or eye point, you can only set one zoom level.

I thought I got something wrong, sorry. Two zoom levels is not even possible with the plain eye. If you set one zoom level to taste for external view from inside the cockpit and then slide your seat forward, so to speak, won't that clip the seat and make the switches useless? 

What I do to get a suitable zoom level from inside the cockpit to the outside and then see all of the VC, I use TrackIR.

The best way to do it is to set the zoom you want for the exterior view which will seem to push you back in the VC but you can move yourself forward in the VC so that it doesn't appear that your zoomed out. The easiest way to do that is with EZdoc so that you can save the view as a camera, but you can also do the same without EZdoc.

You can do this with Opus also, much easier to set up than EZDOK IMO.

Cmpbellsjc - thanks. That's precisely what I'm trying to achieve. Just like you can in the 2d view. But as you've already outlined, this is un-achievable.

The reason I wanted two different zoom levels in the VC view is because when you're zoomed in to 1.00, you get a proper view of everything external to the cockpit I.e. The runway, but at this setting, you also loose perspective on the cockpit instruments (PMDG NGX).

And vice versa, if I set zoom to 0.3 in the VC view, I can see all the instruments that I need, but the external view gets squashed. I.e. The runway now turns into a match stick, as far as its perceived width goes.

I tried your suggestion. As someone pointed out, If I zoom into 1.00 in the VC view, and then try and move the eye point back so that I can see most things, I end up so far back that I end up in the seat cushion, not able to click things. Even at a reasonable distance in zoom 1.00 in the VC, I still can't see the instruments that I need to.

I can't understand why this wouldn't be un-achievable in future sims. If it can be done in the 2d view (except you can't zoom in on cockpit), then it can be done in the 3d view?

Brian Nellis

well, limitiations of fsx aside, i would suggest experimenting a bit more with your zoom levels, i use around 0.4-0.6 for my vc view which works as a decent compromise of seeing most of the instruments i want and also the runway, then i also hotkey a 1.0zoom view out the window (or HUD view) for when i really want to see the details. for the cockpit view sometimes you can really find a sweet spot with just 0.6 or 0.7 once you get comfortable panning around, and with a few different strategically located views it becomes quite natural and you can sort of get the best of both worlds..

cheers

-andy crosby

Yeah. Sounds all too hard Andy. But thanks for sparing your thought though. I'll stick with what I have... my match stick runways :)

Brian Nellis

What you actually want to see can be achieved by setting wideviewaspect=true and zoom at 1.00 so the outside world actually has thing appearing where they should be, at the right distance and with the correct perspective...............and then using a 2d panel.

Funny how FS9 did some things better.

Frustrating I know it is, but I've long ago accepted that the above settings, combined with putting the eyepoint in the correct place and then using the hat switch, is strangely enough, the closest thing to what you see if you were in the cockpit.

Cheers

Paul Golding

I use EZdok myself, and I want realistic zoom settings on approach and landing.  What I do is create landing views at zoom 1.0, another view at .50, and even others at .40.  I do this for each plane, and hot key to the zoom level I feel is most realistic given the situation.  When I'm at cruise level, I'll normally use the .50 zoom for peripheral view.  On final approach I'll switch to the 1.0 zoom.  I have about 15 views for each plane, and that includes 3 or 4 forward pilot views, a couple passenger views, several instrument views, etc... Once you get used to it, reaching for the correct hot key becomes natural.  You first need to clear out all the default FSX hot key settings to use EZdok this way.