Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Carenado SkyWagon...water rudders

Just a quick ask for help...

What is the keyboard water rudder command to lower and raise them?  I have forgotten..and can't find the control on the panel...

Thanks,

I don't have that aircraft, but I'd try Alt-Q and Alt-W which are the tailhook commands.  Also, look around in the cockpit for controls.

Anyone else help??

Hi there, according to a post by danklaue on X-plane.org, The dataref for the water rudder is

sim/flightmodel2/misc/custom_slider_ratio[21]

You can access that dataref via a keyboard or joystick button assigned to the following command:

sim/operation/slider_22

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies...

The control in the cabin, is a lever with a white knob, that sits to the left of the trim wheel between the seats. 

Moving this lever, will deploy, or retract the dual water rudders...

Ses

Yeah, thanks a lot, guys.  :mad:   Now I'll have to buy that aircraft, too.

Yeah, thanks a lot, guys.  :mad:   Now I'll have to buy that aircraft, too.

It's really a great workhorse...the Carenado package comes in many formats.  I always run in in the full Amphib, as you see in my pics...for then you can land anywhere (for instance in Alaska, etc). I also have this plane for FSX/P3D, and consider it a vital 'must have' across all the sims....

I hadn't used it for a while, though, as I was flying a different venue...so had actually forgot where the lever for the water rudders was.  Again...just to the left of the center console trim wheel (between the two front seats)..a white knobed lever, that moves forward, or backward.  

Water/wake effects is very well done in XP. One thing to mention though, if you have waves (due to wind) happening upon the water body...and you are in outside spot mode, and the plane seems to jump in animation, that is a bug that still exists. You need merely to raise the viewpoint, (by looking down, above the plane, slightly) and this will jumping will stop. It is only when you view the plane at sea/lake/river level.  Just raising the viewpoint seems to correct this tendency. I believe that it is the waves moving the plane's body up and down, that you see, but it needs some tweaking by Laminar to not have the plane jump up and down, instead of a nice smooth rolling effect upon the aircraft.  

One more comment...XP (I find) is the only sim that actually gives you h*ell upon the water if there is wind/waves in the landing....if you do not land with concern to the wind direction, wave height, and speed of landing, you WILL CRASH...and pitch forward end over, if the pontoons catch the waves.  Please note, that while you are approacing the water body, XP doesn't really give you a great wave graphic to judge, but...believe me...THEY ARE THERE....in the metric calculation...and will act upon your pontoons The same goes for a water take-off and rotation!  XP makes it real...and you have to take water and wind action into account for both landing and take-off!!!

Very cool...but can catch you off-guard like quicksand, if you are not paying attention to the wind and weather element.   :wacko:  

Post Edit:  Here's a tip...because you can't really see great wave graphics (yet..anyways)...if you go to spot mode, and you are looking at the plane from water-level...AND...it is doing that jumping thing?   Guess what...you have WAVES to deal with on your take off...along with the wind direction pushing those waves....  That will be your best indication that it will be 'fun's-ville' on the take off!  Keep the pontoon tips up, out of the water (by ample back pressure) or you will become a pitching submarine....and your day just gets a little worse, let alone the supreme embarrassment as others are watching you from boats and the shore.......lol.  Naw...don't ask....don't ask.....