Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Cool setup Carlo

Thanks!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

My very personal opinion is that it makes absolutely no sense to spend in excess of 1000 Euros on a Titan X just to be able to move up some sliders a bit more than I can.

That 's what everyone says Carlo ... and yet there you have a 780 when you can turn the sliders down a little more and use a 580 ;) 

Like your setup ... do you still need the VC?  Turning that off would save you a ton of VAS and FPS.

Cheers, Rob.

No doubt 8X SGSS AA is visually the best AA, but I find MSAA 8X + FXAA a very close 2nd and that performs well with dense clouds.

Since I see the same hit in dense clouds using 4xSGSS I thought I would give what you suggest as a close second best a try but what about filtering options, do you have those set in NI or don't you use NI at all when using the settings you mention above?

And what about the Nvidia control panel, are you doing anything to the settings in there?

Richard Åsberg

do you have those set in NI or don't you use NI at all when using the settings you mention above?

And what about the Nvidia control panel, are you doing anything to the settings in there?

Not using NI and not using NCP for my normal day to day flying ... I do use them (NCP and NI) but exclusively for screenshots and/or testing.  

I do use NCP when I'm switching form RGB to YCrCb and 30 or 60Hz ... but that's nothing to do with "manage 3D apps..." section.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, Hi

"No doubt 8X SGSS AA is visually the best AA, but I find MSAA 8X + FXAA a very close 2nd and that performs well with dense clouds"

I am little bid confused. Do I suppose to use NI for above settings? or  NCP?

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Not using NI and not using NCP for my normal day to day flying ... I do use them (NCP and NI) but exclusively for screenshots and/or testing.

I do use NCP when I'm switching form RGB to YCrCb and 30 or 60Hz ... but that's nothing to do with "manage 3D apps..." section.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob!

Tried this myself now but in my case the drop in image quality is significant unfortunately. When in spot view for instance looking at the NGX the wings look really bad when slowly panning around.

Maybe you don't see that in the same way running at higher resolution, I'm at 1920x1080.

Rob, Hi

"No doubt 8X SGSS AA is visually the best AA, but I find MSAA 8X + FXAA a very close 2nd and that performs well with dense clouds"

I am little bid confused. Do I suppose to use NI for above settings? or NCP?

Check the post from Rob just above your own post :wink:

Richard Åsberg

That 's what everyone says Carlo ... and yet there you have a 780 when you can turn the sliders down a little more and use a 580 ;)

I totally agree, Rob. That's exactly why I said "My very personal opinion". ;-) With a GTX 780 (or GTX 970) I reach the point where the marginal benefit from investing more into a graphics card is offset by the marginal costs. I would never spend three times as much just to get 20 % additional performance. But of course, this is purely subjective.

Like your setup ... do you still need the VC? Turning that off would save you a ton of VAS and FPS.

That's one of the reasons why I personally prefer the triple monitor setup over a single large 4K screen. It is indeed an option to use the "Cockpit" view which has much better performance. I do this sometimes during cruise, however, most of the times I'm still in the VC because I use TrackIR and this way I can still use the overhead and other panels.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Got the card here in UK...lucky as there are not many around. I concur with Rob performance wise, nothing major in betterment ... but better, actually quite a bit better. Not only higher frames but more constant as well. Saying that still not enough muscle for a smooth experience in Prepar3D 2.5 with my DK 2. However I can max out things and on my ROG G-sync can enjoy a nice flight!

PS:...we all agree with Rob here...lol...he must be happy ;-)

So, I've now been doing some flying in P3Dv2.5 and overall I'm very happy both with the performance and the IQ but I still have one issue which would be great if I could find a solution to.

What happens is that whenever I enter dense clouds I get stutters. Not these micro-stutters but rather stutters that make the sim pause for a millisecond or so with a couple of seconds in between. When this happens checking my FPS it still stays between 25-30 FPS and on a few occasions I've seen it drop to maybe 15 FPS or so but this too only for a split second and then it's back at 30 FPS again even when still in the dense clouds.

My hardware consist of a 4770K @ 4.5 GHz and a 1st gen Titan, 16 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz, system and P3D on fast, separate SSDs. FPS locked @ 30 both in NI and P3D, 4xSGSS, 16xAF, 4xMSAA, FXAA off, Vertical Sync off.

These are my changes to Prepar3D.cfg:

Main
AlwaysFullLoad=1
DisablePreload=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

SIM
OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

These are my P3D settings:

Display%20Graphics.JPG

Display%20Scenery.JPG

Display%20Lighting.JPG

Dispaly%20Weather.JPG

Dispaly%20Traffic.JPG

Any ideas what would be the primary culprit causing these kind of stutters? I know using SGSS in NI is known to be hard on your system but to my eyes that is the only way I've found to get the kind of IQ I like. Then of course I could start decreasing the shadows, the quality of water etc but obviously I would like to keep things looking as good as possible (ever heard that one before in this community :wink:)

Was thinking about different tweaks in Prepar3D.cfg, both looking at the ones I already use but also other tweaks that could help. I tried AM but that doesn't seem to give me any real advantage. I've also thought of the TBM setting that you most of the times tweaked in FSX but not sure how much if any benefit you would have tweaking it in P3Dv2.5?

Many thanks in advance for any input or ideas!

Richard Åsberg

SGSS will be the source of the stutters ... but at 1080 I can certainly understand your desire to use it 

I have a few ideas:

1.  There is a OPTIMIZE_CLOUD (or is it CLOUD_OPTIMIZE) or similar option in the Prepar3D.cfg (in the office today so can't tell you exact setting name) try setting = 1

2.  If you're using REX Clouds try a really low resolution 512 or less ... I think DXT5 rather than 32bit work better with SGSS 

3.  In prepar3d.cfg change the ground shadow map from 2048 to 512 (this will impact all shadows and can make VC shadows not look not so good) ... again don't have the exact setting name (in office)

4.  Change the cloud size (even smaller that 0.5) via Cloud.fx and turn Cloud detail to Max

These are obviously compromises so they visually may not work for you.

TBM and AM values will have no effect on SGSS AA processing.

Cheers, Rob.

Many thanks Rob for your advice!

Will try the OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS setting, that will  be interesting looking at it's name and looking at what situation is triggering my issue...flying into dense clouds.

I'm using the HDEv2 clouds and I'm already using the seconds lowest resolution 512x512 DXT3 but will try the lowest one as well if the OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS setting doesn't do any difference.

I think I'll start with these ones and see what happens.

Good to know TBM and AM settings have nothing to do with my issue. What about the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting? That one shouldn't be related to my type of issue either, should it? The way I understood it that one mainly has to do with how crisp the ground textures look - too low and you might get blurry textures and too high and your performance will suffer. Did I get that right?

Have been playing around with getting myself a new screen and guess that would be a 4K screen since running at that kind of resolution will let you leave SGSS behind like you mentioned earlier as your everday setting. You mentioned you only use SGSS on special occasions like when you're grabbing screenshots or doing a movie clip. On the other hand running at that kind of resolution instead of 1920x1080 will again put a much higher demand on my system so not sure how much I would win going that road.

Boy oh boy if we sim nerds could some day find our Nirvana and have the chance to just enjoy our hobby instead of all this tweaking trying to make the sim run and look the way we like... 

Richard Åsberg

Many thanks

I have found REX to be better on fps compared to HDEv2 clouds

Rich Sennett

I have found REX to be better on fps compared to HDEv2 clouds

Really? Wouldn't have guessed that but good to know. Trying to find a cure to my stutters it sure would be a cheaper solution to buy a new cloud set rather than new hardware :wink:

Will keep it in mind!

Richard Åsberg