Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X - would P3D be able to unleash this card's full potential?

Hi Aron,

I'm using this one: http://store.sony.com/48.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR49X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

Here is what it looks like on a desktop (it's also my work monitor) - the one on the right is a 24" to give you idea of size difference:

a617a0d28dbdf421a88596780c7ffad4.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob I hope you can help,

This is the new Sony 4K model to be released shortly XBR-49X830C this is the only 49inch that will be released this year, and the one that you own the XBR-49X850B will be discontinued.

The difference between the two is the newer model  is missing the TRILUMOS display.

Also the refresh rate technology on the newer model is the Motionflow XR 960 and the one that you have uses the Motionflow XR 240.

I only need  this TV for my computer work, and for my simulator.

Do you use Motionflow technology in the desktop environment, and what about the TRILUMOS display is that necessary?

Does the refresh rate in the computer enviorment rely on the Motionflow technology in any way? because they say the newer Motionflow has smoother fast action, which I would guess only has the do with video on the TV, and does not apply to the computer.

The TRILUMOS display gives richer colors. is that something that related to the options regarding RGB vs YCbCr444 signal source.

The TV that you have are getting phased out, and will be hard to find.  Would you suggest I get it before it's too late, or wait for the new model.

Thank's

Aron

Edited to correct some things, I really need to learn to read through what I have written before I hit that post button :wink:

So guys, spent last night trying the 4K screen out and first I would say that the IQ is nothing short of amazing...almost feels as you could reach out and touch the things seen on the screen!

When it comes to the performance part though I wasn't very impressed at all even with SGSS not used, I simply wasn't able to get the performance I'm looking for. Or should I maybe say the "smoothness" I'm looking for both in the v/c when quickly panning around with my TrackIR but also when looking out the window while up in the air. I guess I could have got better smoothness by starting to remove options and features in P3D and by moving the sliders to the left but I don't fancy the idea to spend approx $1.000 to go that way so I decided to return the 4K screen and I'm now back with my 40 inch screen @ 1920x1080.

So to summarize my 4K screen experience I would put it like this. If you're into flying GA in and out of smaller airports a 4K screen is possibly one of the best things you could buy since it will make it feel almost real looking at the amazing IQ!

If you however are like me and do all your flying in complex aircraft such as the NGX and mostly operate out of big and complex airports you will struggle to find a good balance between IQ and performance and even more so when you start adding other stuff into the mix such as weather, AI/online traffic etc etc...

I have a first gen Titan and looking at Rob I'm sure a Titan X will help you in some regard but my personal conclusion still holds that today's hardware simply isn't powerful enough to run P3D in UHD unless you're willing to start sacrifice visual effects and performance or do all your flying in less complex aircraft in and out of less complex airports.

So...at this point I will focus on getting the best possible balance between visual candy and performance with my current hardware. Then I will think this over a second time after the summer when I hope Nvidia will release a 980Ti which will hopefully be both faster and cheaper than a Titan X although without 12 GB memory but more likely 6 GB or so but still more than you'll will ever need as long as you stay below UHD resolution.

Now I'm off trying to figure out how to resize the HDEv2 cirrus clouds making them a bit smaller which I hope will help me get rid of some of the stuttering flying through severe weather with SGSS enabled :smile:

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

Had a feeling these were going to be your findings - nice you had the option to return it - at that resolution you are just adding more for the pc to do - in Our business thats not good

Rich Sennett

WebMaximus, I found that you can't judge a 4K TV-sized monitor (I have both a 55 and 65 inch Samsung 4K curved screen) and expect the best performance possible when using a video card, as you're doing, with only HDMI 1.4. 

In my case, once I got a 980 card with HDMI 2.0 and a suitable cable, it made all the difference in the world. You also need to manually setup the Samsung to receive the full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, which isn't obvious and is buried in the monitor's settings.

I suggest you try these out before you throw in the towel.

My 980 works just fine with these monitors (I only use one at a time), but I'm awaiting delivery of a TitanX to see if things can get even better. 

Robert

Good info Robert did not know this but I would assume its still going to take a lot more HP to push a 4K monitor

Rich Sennett

WebMaximus, I found that you can't judge a 4K TV-sized monitor (I have both a 55 and 65 inch Samsung 4K curved screen) and expect the best performance possible when using a video card, as you're doing, with only HDMI 1.4. 

In my case, once I got a 980 card with HDMI 2.0 and a suitable cable, it made all the difference in the world. You also need to manually setup the Samsung to receive the full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, which isn't obvious and is buried in the monitor's settings.

I suggest you try these out before you throw in the towel.

My 980 works just fine with these monitors (I only use one at a time), but I'm awaiting delivery of a TitanX to see if things can get even better. 

Robert

Macwino,

What CPU and Ram are you is in your system? 

You had the same experience as WebMaximus when you ram your 4K monitors at HDMI 1.4?

Sincerly

Aron

I agree, that's great info Robert so thanks for sharing and I'll keep what you said in mind for the furture.

At this point I already returned the 4K screen and as Ric says above even if my GFX card doesn't support HDMI 2.0 I don't see how that would do any difference to the fact that the GFX card will have a much higher load running at 4K vs 1920x1080? And that will obviously impact your performance will it not?

Who knows, maybe I'll give a 4K screen another try after the summer if/when I hope I'll be able to lay my hands on a blistering fast 980Ti :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Aron, I run a 4790K at 4.7GHz with DDR3 2400 RAM. 

Before getting the 980 with HDMI 2.0, the principal problem I experienced was terrible screen tearing with a 6GB 780 restricted by HDMI 1.4. All is now running very well even though I have only 4GB of video ram with the 980. And, FWIW, I use TrackIR.

I don't find visuals or frame rates in most circumstances to be a problem at all. The main problem is OOMs, which necessarily restrict the graphics settings, but I don't think these OOMs have much to do with the fact that I'm using a 4K monitor. I've been plagued by them for years.

Rob, of course, is the expert in these matters. Contrary to his findings, however, I find that running at 60Hz is preferable to running at 30Hz. I do believe, however, that he and I do agree that in either case running with unlimited frames generally gives the best performance. But it's a trial and error process for in some cases and conditions a locked frame rate works better.

Robert

Before getting the 980 with HDMI 2.0, the principal problem I experienced was terrible screen tearing with a 6GB 780 restricted by HDMI 1.4. All is now running very well even though I have only 4GB of video ram with the 980. And, FWIW, I use TrackIR.

I don't find visuals or frame rates in most circumstances to be a problem at all. The main problem is OOMs, which necessarily restrict the graphics settings, but I don't think these OOMs have much to do with the fact that I'm using a 4K monitor. I've been plagued by them for years.

Rob, of course, is the expert in these matters. Contrary to his findings, however, I find that running at 60Hz is preferable to running at 30Hz. I do believe, however, that he and I do agree that in either case running with unlimited frames generally gives the best performance. But it's a trial and error process for in some cases and conditions a locked frame rate works better.

Robert

Robert,

Same here OOM is the bigest problem that i'm experiencing. 

Do you find that your FPS is any less going from 1080P to 4K after HDMI 2.0?

If The FPS is the same then I will be closer to pulling the triger.

WebMaximus, I also want to thank you for sharing your experience.

Sincerly,

Aron

At this point I already returned the 4K screen and as Ric says above even if my GFX card doesn't support HDMI 2.0 I don't see how that would do any difference to the fact that the GFX card will have a much higher load running at 4K vs 1920x1080? And that will obviously impact your performance will it not?

Some time ago Rob charted the frame rate penalty encountered with various resolutions. While he found a material impact insofar as the numbers are concerned, I have found that the practical impact is negligible when running P3D with my hardware. I can lock at 30fps and run smoothly. There's no benefit that I can see to running at a higher frame rate. Of course, if I encounter stutters at 30fps, I then switch to unlimited frames and that generally resolves the problem. Why, I don't know, but it works for me with my setup.

With that said, as I noted in a previous post, running unlimited is generally preferable and gives the best performance in my case.

Robert

Robert

Very interesting info indeed so thanks again Robert for sharing! Find it amazing that the HDMI standard can do that much of a difference.

Robert,

Same here OOM is the bigest problem that i'm experiencing. 

If The FPS is the same then I will be closer to pulling the triger.

WebMaximus, I also want to thank you for sharing your experience.

Sincerly,

Aron

I'm too is very interested in hearing about the FPS difference running at different resolutions but simply by looking at it in a logical way I can't see how forcing the GFX to process UHD rather than Full HD wouldn't make the performance suffer.

No need to Aron, I always try to give back to the community whenever I can considering how much help and good advice I got myself throughout the years.

Richard Åsberg

Do you use Motionflow technology in the desktop environment, and what about the TRILUMOS display is that necessary?

No, MotionFlow is OFF ... I believe that is primarily for Movie rapid panning and not some much RGB or YCrCb output from PC.

Does the refresh rate in the computer enviorment rely on the Motionflow technology in any way?

No, however the Sony is capable of buffering frames.

is that something that related to the options regarding RGB vs YCbCr444 signal source.

Sony can work better with a YCbCr444 signal (more adjustments permitted) than an RGB Full (0-255) signal, with that said, both are still VERY good quality and you dial out the "too dark" that many seem to see with HDR without making the image too bright.  This is why I no longer make any HDR tweaks and have left it "as is".  With HDR, monitor quality and calibration become more significant.

Would you suggest I get it before it's too late, or wait for the new model.

I haven't seen what the new monitors from Sony can do ... I know 4K will continue to evolve and get cheaper and when 8K comes out later this year it should make 4K very cheap.  But I can't tell you if newer Sony is better for PC output ... it's really good right now.  Like I've suggested  before, buy from a retail outlet so you can return if not satisfied. 

Cheers, Rob.

Great post WebMaximus. I have a 780ti presently and am also going to purchase a 980ti when available.  According to Guru.com the specs looks like it will have a faster clock speed than the TitanX with 6gb or 8gb of memory.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I can't say as I've not run at 1080 for 6 years or more. I've had various triple monitor setups with resolutions close to 4K. Moreover, I've seldom paid attention to frame rates. All that was important to me was a fluid flight experience and the ability to control the plane on approach.

What I can say is that moving from 3-23 inch HD monitors to one large 4K screen was a vast improvement. I now really feel that I'm actually in a cockpit, and TrackIR handles the missing panoramic view quite well. I'd trade that for the real-to-life cockpit feel any day. Now, if one were to setup 3 4K 55 inch monitors (if even possible), I might change my mind.

Robert

I do believe, however, that he and I do agree that in either case running with unlimited frames generally gives the best performance. But it's a trial and error process for in some cases and conditions a locked frame rate works better.

This has always been my experience as well that you'll get better overall performance running unlimited frames but this has been with FSX. Now in P3Dv2.5 it is still true that I get higher FPS if running unlimited but what was new was that when entering a situation with lots of load on the system such as when entering dense clouds, a complex airport etc the FPS would drop quite a bit resulting in stutters.

After some investigation I found that when running unlimited frames in P3Dv2.5 the GPU load stays at 100% all the time which led me to the conclusion that running unlimited frames will not leave any headroom for the GPU meaning when you enter a situation where the load will increase even further the GFX card can't cope with the load and hence the stutters and FPS drop.

After this discovery I decided to try the 30 FPS locked path (locked both in NI and P3D) and so far with great result and now the GPU load seems to be much more healthy hovering between 50-80% in most normal situations and peaking at 80-100% in heavy load situations and the considerable FPS drop is gone. Now I only have some minor stuttering when entering dense clouds but I hope I might have been able to fix that as well by downsizing the HDEv2 clouds both the cumulus and the cirrus textures. Will do my first flight using these textures right now and will be very interesting to see how that turns out.

Richard Åsberg