Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

How to Modify Runway Lighting for Taxi2Gate MMMX

Very tempting.

Does anyone know if this would work in P3Dv2.5?

Yes it does. Bought it yesterday. Only small problem: The runway lighting doesn't work. However, if you know how to modify AFCAD files with ADE you can add the runway lighting yourself. That's what I did... Now everything works fine. By the way: It's a great scenery!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Thanks Carlo,

I've no idea how to modify AFCAD files, I'll have to make sure I only arrive in daylight!

Regards

John

It is quite easy. Let me know if you buy the scenery, then I can tell you what to do.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hi Stook2005,

Thanks, I have tried this but it looks like I would need the FSX SDK to make it work, which I don't have.

Hi Carlo,

I have bought and installed the airport and as you suggested the runway lights are missing. If you could advise me of your method to

get them working I would be grateful.

Many thanks

John 

I have bought and installed the airport and as you suggested the runway lights are missing. If you could advise me of your method to

get them working I would be grateful.

First of all you need to download and install the latest Prepar3d SDK from prepar3d.com. You can find it in your account where you can also download Prepar3d itself. Next, you need to download and install Airport Design Editor. I'm using 1.61 but I guess 1.65 is the latest version.

ADE should find the paths to the relevant SDK files by itself once you start ADE for the first time. When starting ADE it asks you which version you want to start. Select Prepar3d v2.

In ADE, go to File -> Open Airport from BGL. Then navigate to the MMMX scenery folder (In my case this is {MyPrepar3dFolder}\Addon Scenery\MMMX-T2G\MMMX\scenery). Open the file MMMX_AF.BGL.

Once the file has opened, you should see the layout of the airport in ADE. Left-click Runway 05R/23L. Make sure you don't click on the Taxipaths but the runway itself (you can zoom in with the mouse wheel). After clicking it should be highlighted in yellow. Now right-click the runway and choose "Edit object". In the window that opens click on the tab "Lights". Mark the checkbox "Secondary Approach Lights" and choose SALS in the drop-down Type. Mark the checkboxes for "End lights" and "Touchdown". Now mark the checkbox for "Primary Approach Lights" and choose SALS in the drop-down Type. Also mark the checkboxes for "End lights" and "Touchdown". Now go to the tab "Primary" and set "Offset Threshold" to 444 meters (if you have feet than convert the 444 to feet). Finally, go to the tab "Secondary" and set the threshold to 11 meters. Click "Ok" to finalize your changes for this runway.

Now, do the same for the other runway. The thresholds are 450 meters for Primary and 537 meters for Secondary. Also click "Ok" to finalize the settings there.

Once you have finalized all your changes go to File -> Compile Airport. In the window which pops up choose a location and file name for the modified AFCAD. I named mine MMMX_AF_P3D.BGL

Last step is to rename the file MMMX_AF.BGL in the scenery folder to MMMX_AF.bak and copy the new file MMMX_AF_P3D.BGL into the scenery folder. Now it should work.

• Upvote 1

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best Regards

John

Hi Carlo,

Followed your instructions and I now have runway lights.

Thanks for your assistance, it's much appreciated.

Regards

John

Thanks for your assistance, it's much appreciated.

Very welcome! Enjoy your flights to/from MMMX. It's a great scenery!

This was split from the Bargain Hunter's Shack topic about the sale (now over) of Taxi2Gate's MMMX.  The Bargain Hunter's forum is used to post bargains not, tutorials.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks for moving it to a new topic!